Betting Talk

College Hoops Question/Thought

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited November 2015 in Sports Betting
I'm usually one that would completely write off something like this due to the small sample size (but of course I'm not here since I came up with it, :) ). And I'd normally keep something like this to myself, but seeing that it happens once a year, here goes...

I made a play on the Rider/Stony Brook under yesterday, with the biggest factor being the time that the game was played. It was the 6am game in the college hoops marathon. They've now played a game in this timeslot the past 4 years (all in the Eastern Time zone), with the scores of these games being 58-34, 51-49, 80-62, and 54-46. The game has been lined with a total the last 3 years, with those totals being 129.5, 129.5, and 131 (so 2-1 to the under, with the average total of the 3 lined games as coming in 16 points under the total).

My biggest reason for making the play is that I expect a sloppy, lethargic type of game at that time of the day. Players completely off their routine (I don't even know what the teams do in this instance, since it's normal for a team to have a meal 4-5 hours before a game and then head over to the arena to get taped up, stretch, go over final prep, etc). You've also got a pretty lethargic crowd by college hoops standards, etc.

Question for the more serious guys on here, do you put any stock into the results in these 4 games? Or have I completely made up a theory and it just happens that I'm lucky and the results through this miniscule sample size match up with my theory?

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    It's like working a 3am to 11am grave yard shift on your first night. Very hard to sleep most don't even know what time to try and go to sleep. You keep looking at the clock and say if I fall a sleep now I could get six hours and you do that and finally fall asleep with about two hours left before you have to get up. there has to be an effect. I surprised that the total's are so high you would think high teens low 20's. Believe me getting up at that hour having to shower, coffee, shoot around and then play a game that's last thing you want to do. If you wait for a 100 game subset your great grand children will be able is see if it's worth it. It's a scheduling play and good one at that. Good Catch
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    That is a not a crazy theory. Playing that early screws up both teams equally in terms of routine. Playing in small arenas that early will have an impact on HCA as well. I think playing early would have that effect, but not playing late. The same theory applies, but not as radical, to west coast NFL teams coming east to play a 1pm start.
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I know this doesn't help with your question but when I played in college we had a 7:30 am game and for the week before we used the same routine we were going to.use the day of the game. Now it didn't help a ton but we weren't as lethargic as probably most considered we would be. Not sure if it helps but figured I would pass it along.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    That's the whole problem. If you had data for 100+ games and only 10 of them went over the odds maker would know to adjust the line plus everyone would know to bet under. The key is to get on the trend before everyone figures it out.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited November 2012
    First of all I am not a serious guy, so take what I say with a grain of salt. When I was a young man, I listened to Charles Barkley being interviewed, before an early game. Charles stated Basketball is a night time came and we are used to playing at night, so this game will probably have a very slow start to it, until we all wake up. I never forgot that, so a lot of times when there is an early game, I never bet the over and sometimes take the under. But usually always take the first half under and I think have done fairly well with that but dont have a record to back that up. The Raptors play a lot of Saturday early games later in the year, so keep an eye on that. But to answer your question, I would play it, if the new trend continues. But I am not a pro, just do this for a hobby.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2012
    PeayMania wrote: »
    I know this doesn't help with your question but when I played in college we had a 7:30 am game and for the week before we used the same routine we were going to.use the day of the game. Now it didn't help a ton but we weren't as lethargic as probably most considered we would be. Not sure if it helps but figured I would pass it along.

Meant to ask this yesterday, but forgot. What type of routine did you use for a 7:30am game? Did you have a team meal, and if so at what time (I'm pretty familiar with how Penn State did everything on gameday, but not sure how other levels of basketball handle stuff like this on gameday, or even what level you played)? What time were you guys waking up/meeting to start the morning? And like Old-Timer said, it must have been tough trying to sleep the night before. I remember how much trouble I'd have sleeping the night before a high school game, can't imagine they got a good night of sleep thinking about a 6am game.
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I played NAIA ball and our routine started with lights out night before at 10. We woke up at 5:15 and had team meal at 5:30. By 6:00 we were going over scouting report and what our focus for that game. At 6:30 we went through a 30 minute hard warm-up to get a good sweat. At 7:00 we went back to locker room to get fluids, re-taped, and anything else necessary for 10 minutes and then at 7:10 we went through our normal 20 minute warm-up. We did this for the week before as classes didn't start until 8. The biggest difference I saw was that any home.court edge youhad in part to fan support was negated at that time. Hope that answers your questions.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    TommyL wrote: »
    I'm usually one that would completely write off something like this due to the small sample size (but of course I'm not here since I came up with it, :) ). And I'd normally keep something like this to myself, but seeing that it happens once a year, here goes...

I made a play on the Rider/Stony Brook under yesterday, with the biggest factor being the time that the game was played. It was the 6am game in the college hoops marathon. They've now played a game in this timeslot the past 4 years (all in the Eastern Time zone), with the scores of these games being 58-34, 51-49, 80-62, and 54-46. The game has been lined with a total the last 3 years, with those totals being 129.5, 129.5, and 131 (so 2-1 to the under, with the average total of the 3 lined games as coming in 16 points under the total).

My biggest reason for making the play is that I expect a sloppy, lethargic type of game at that time of the day. Players completely off their routine (I don't even know what the teams do in this instance, since it's normal for a team to have a meal 4-5 hours before a game and then head over to the arena to get taped up, stretch, go over final prep, etc). You've also got a pretty lethargic crowd by college hoops standards, etc.

Question for the more serious guys on here, do you put any stock into the results in these 4 games? Or have I completely made up a theory and it just happens that I'm lucky and the results through this miniscule sample size match up with my theory?

The market agrees with you. Tuesday morning the umass/harvard game was the best example. Total was getting bet up to 140....1H total opened at 66 and got bet down to 62.5/63. Not very often do you see a game total increasing and at the exact same time the 1H total decreasing. Most of the 1H early morning totals have been getting bet down.
    edited November 2013
    116 points in the 7am Hartford/Florida Gulf Coast game this morning. The total wasn't WA, but 5Dimes had it close at 145.
    edited November 2015
    Favorite angle of the year going off in just under 6 hours. It's pretty much the only angle that I play blindly (plus I'd lean under in the game tomorrow morning even if it wasn't at 6am, as I think it's about 3-4 points too high).
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    So which game are we playing? Ha.
    edited November 2015
    Kashmir wrote: »
    So which game are we playing? Ha.

754 Green Bay/East Tennessee State under 146
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    I got this game lined at 141.5 What you have it at?
    edited November 2015
    About 140, though I think I'm still a few points low on everything as I figure out where the new pace will fall (didn't adjust it up enough).
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Based on the box score seemed like the defense was a little lethargic. ETSU shot 51% and teams combined for 60 foul shots. GB also had 30 second chance points
    edited November 2015
    jammer wrote: »
    Based on the box score seemed like the defense was a little lethargic. ETSU shot 51% and teams combined for 60 foul shots. GB also had 30 second chance points

Yea, that didn't go so well.