Betting Talk

Congrats to DrH

Comments

• danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    very impressive win loss record for sure and the positive CLV does not hurt! amazing work and consistency, congratulations
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    danshan wrote: »
    it looks like to me when you are closest to 0 CLV you do best
    way high sucks and way low sucks, optimal is right at 0

You are reading too much into small samples. There are only 122 plays with CLV of 20+, and you also want to look at the percentages instead of "cents" anyway. The line move from -155 to -175 which is "+20" is actually less than the line move from +100 to -110 which is "+10"
    edited September 2017
    so you are saying that if he did not have a 58% or whatever win% he would have made money on CLV alone?
    edited September 2017
    2016 shows the only thing that matters is CLV but the other years to me unless I am missing something dont show that
  • mutinycapmutinycap Member
    edited September 2017
    Danshan are you familiar with the chicken or the egg?
    edited September 2017
    so you are saying that if he did not have a 58% or whatever win% he would have made money on CLV alone?

I am saying that your sample sizes are too small to draw firm conclusions and it's only by random chance he did better on games with less CLV than ones with more.
    edited September 2017
    its 3 years of stats I am not sure how many you need to have a good sample size but shoot I will die in another 4 or 5 years so not sure how to get enought then?
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    100,000 is good
    edited September 2017
    mutinycap wrote: »
    Danshan are you familiar with the chicken or the egg?

is this a riddle forum? again I ask a simple question and literally no one will answer it, just a bunch of cluck cluck
    edited September 2017
    ok so DR H we will congratulate you when you do another 18 years of games so we can have a good number and know that you know what you are doing or I bet most people like me will just buy your stuff now. I want those results and would love to even come close to that but IMHO the numbers do no represent profit came from CLV, no where in those stat does it show me that. it seems like win% is your golden egg and if I am wrong just show me with DR H stats how that is wrong
  • mutinycapmutinycap Member
    edited September 2017
    Winning 69% on only favorites of -222 is crucial so imo win percentage is indeed all that matters.
    edited September 2017
    ok so DR H we will congratulate you when you do another 18 years of games so we can have a good number and know that you know what you are doing or I bet most people like me will just buy your stuff now. I want those results and would love to even come close to that but IMHO the numbers do no represent profit came from CLV, no where in those stat does it show me that. it seems like win% is your golden egg and if I am wrong just show me with DR H stats how that is wrong

Hot Chicken Sandwiches With Pickles ‘n Slaw

Ingredients

6 to 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pounded
    6 to 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half on a bias
    Salt and pepper
    2 cups buttermilk
    2 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot or Crystal Hot Sauce

For the slaw:
    1/2 cup pickle brine*
    1 tablespoon superfine/quick-dissolve sugar or Acacia honey
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 pound (about 6 cups) shredded white cabbage
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 cup dill, coarsely chopped
    Salt and pepper

For dredging chicken:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    Salt and pepper
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon granulated onion
    1 tablespoon paprika

Vegetable oil, for frying
    4 eggs

For the sauce:
    1 stick of butter
    4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon paprika
    2 teaspoons granulated garlic
    2 teaspoons granulated onion

*Homemade or store-bought sliced pickles, B&B or dill
    Sliced good quality white bread

Season chicken with salt and pepper, cover with buttermilk and hot sauce, and refrigerate overnight.

Whisk up slaw dressing, toss with cabbage, celery seed and dill. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Heat a few inches of frying oil in Dutch oven or tabletop fryer to 350°F.

Whisk up flour dredge in a shallow dish then whisk eggs together in a separate dish and season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken first in flour and shake off excess. Dip into egg and coat in flour one more time. Add to hot oil and fry 8-10 minutes until cooked through.

For the sauce, melt butter in a saucepot and whisk in dried spices. Paint hot chicken with sauce and serve on bread with slaw and pickles.
    edited September 2017
    again, you wasted finger power and did not say anything.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    Historical:

<0% clv: n=244, 53.27% adjusted, +4.58 units, +1.75% ROI
    0% clv: n=116, 51.17% adjusted, -2.94 units, -2.4% ROI
    .01 through 1% clv: n=149, 58% adjusted, +3.43 units, +10.77% ROI
    1.01 through 2% clv: n=233, 58.5% adjusted, +7.61 units, +11.72% ROI
    2.01 through 3% clv: n=215, 54.4% adjusted, +13 units, +3.91% ROI
    3.01 through 4% clv: n =209, 58% adjusted, +24.79 units, +10.94% ROI
    4.01 through 5% clv: n=140, 64.7% adjusted, +36.16 units, +23.83% ROI
    5.01 and up clv: n=92, 60.28% adjusted, +15.26 units, +15.6% ROI

CLV is the driver and stabilizes much quicker than win %, so it's the best indicator we have. More CLV is better always. On a long enough timeline, you'd see that, but when broken into buckets like this, these are pretty small samples so you get a lot of variation. Still, you can get an idea.

The concept is so simple, it baffles me when people argue about it or don't understand it. If something I buy increases in value after I buy it, that's a good thing, whether it's bitcoin, a stock, a house, Yankees -120, etc. The more the value of it increases, the better off you are. If I buy a game for -120 and at close it's -140, I've bought something for less than it's worth. The result of that game is irrelevant in the long term. Repeat. Profit.

I don't know a single person that wins at this that isn't beating the closer on the regular.

If given a choice to tail blindly the following 2 forum posters, which would you choose if this is all you know about them:

A: 100 games, -15 units, +2.5% CLV
    B: 100 games, +25 units, 0 CLV

The answer is A and it's not even a tough decision at all. CLV leads to results in the long term.
    edited September 2017
    I agree 100% with buy low sell high . I am just trying to get a grip on how much of a role CLV plays in reality.

I see if the line closes at say 140 and you bought at 170
    140 42%
    170 37%
    I see the huge difference
    i just was trying to see that in your numbers
    I am a firm believer of line value
    edited September 2017
    We know that closing line is very close to implied probability based on historic stat data, so if we played a 1000 games at CL we would end up slightly hit or juice hit but if we had gotten clv in that same 1000 results we would have had profit with the same number of wins
    edited September 2017
    I think lots of people come in and just say ok "he said its CLV" and they just agree and cant even back up the argument. I wanted to look at your numbers and see how the CLV helped the results and honestly I was surprised how it was not super obviously apparant with the great ROI you had, that was all I was saying
    edited September 2017
    as you all know I am working on my clv numbers every single day and applying as many methods to get as close as possible to the closing number in advance so I know which games to play and at what rate. truly eye opening experience and I am very pleased with my results up to this point. I really need to figure out how the big miss I am getting on a game or two here or there is happening , I cant undertsand what I am doing wrong there
    edited September 2017
    2.01 through 3% clv: n=215, 54.4% adjusted, +13 units, +3.91% ROI
    this line right here really truly shows the power of CLV assuming a 3% juice mark
    edited September 2017
    .01 through 1% clv: n=149, 58% adjusted, +3.43 units, +10.77% ROI
    this line also shows how not having CLV hurt you, got a good win% and ROI was down
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    I think lots of people come in and just say ok "he said its CLV" and they just agree and cant even back up the argument. I wanted to look at your numbers and see how the CLV helped the results and honestly I was surprised how it was not super obviously apparant with the great ROI you had, that was all I was saying

CLV doesn't 'help the results'.....positive CLV shows that you have an edge over the market numbers.
    edited September 2017
    help results and edge over market, what is the difference?
  • John1689John1689 Junior Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm curious how many people are able to get down on the releases and for how much on an opener?

I was able to get down about 85-90% on a computer (less on my phone), for anywhere between $500-$1K/unit.

Would love to hear some suggestions for next year. I take it finding a local is the best route.
    edited September 2017
    by setting lines or just by house hunting?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2017
    by setting lines or just by house hunting?

Wth r u OD'ing on Manischewitz wine.
    edited September 2017
    Indio beer waiting on the Broncos and the Dodgers! who scores more
    A the broncos sacks
    B the dodgers runs
    edited September 2017
    Rivers has a quick release so I say the Dodgers but I would need to see the line to see if it has value
  • CLVDOCCLVDOC Junior Member
    edited September 2017
    Groovin posts a recipe and this thread got even worse. Great job H!
    edited September 2017
    Obi One wrote: »
    CLV doesn't 'help the results'.....positive CLV shows that you have an edge over the market numbers.

hey obi you never answered whats the difference?
    edited September 2017
    Rivers has a quick release so I say the Dodgers but I would need to see the line to see if it has value

and yes I was right the dodgers had more runs!
    Record 1-0 perfection in my teasers and CLV% 100% perfect