Betting Talk

Bitcoin??

BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
edited July 2017 in Sports Betting
UASF & UAHF

Does anybody know what this means in English?

Comments

• BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    The UAHF is incompatible with the current Bitcoin protocol and will create a separate blockchain. Should the UAHF activate on August 1, Coinbase will not support the new blockchain or its associated coin. Any BTC within customers’ accounts will remain accessible over the main blockchain only, and will not be converted into BTC on the UAHF chain.

The UASF will not alter any customer funds which are stored in Coinbase.
    Does this affect funds stored on GDAX as well?

Yes, this affects BTC stored on both Coinbase and GDAX.
    What is the UAHF? What is the UASF? What is Segregated Witness?

There are two major upcoming proposals that will affect the Bitcoin protocol and network. These are known as the UAHF and UASF.

The current User Activated Hard Fork (UAHF), including BitcoinABC, is a proposal to alter the Bitcoin protocol by creating a new version of the Bitcoin software, which will operate on its own, separate blockchain.

In contrast, the User Activated Soft Fork (UASF), also known as BIP148, is a proposal to alter the Bitcoin protocol by merging new features into the Bitcoin software, but continue using the same existing blockchain. The proposed features for the upcoming UASF include Segregated Witness, a technology designed to increase the amount of transactions that can be made over the Bitcoin network, and increase the security of the network.
    When will the UAHF happen? When will the UASF happen?

The UAHF is scheduled to activate on approximately August 1, 2017. The UASF is scheduled to activate at approximately the same time as the UAHF.
    Will Coinbase eventually support withdrawals for the UAHF version of Bitcoin?
    We do not plan to offer support for the UAHF chain at this time. You will not be able to withdraw the UAHF version of any Bitcoin from Coinbase. Although we have no plans to support additional blockchains at this time, we will continue to monitor UAHF developments.
    Can you recommend which wallet software I should use if I want to withdraw my Bitcoin?
    While we cannot recommend any particular third-party wallet, a helpful list of wallet options is available here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
    Does Coinbase support the UAHF? What about the UASF?
    We support the growth and scaling of the Bitcoin network. Although we have no plans to support additional blockchains at this time, we will continue to monitor UAHF/UASF developments.
    Will Coinbase keep UAHF coins for itself?
    No.

Coinbase does not intend to support or interact with the UAHF chain. If this were to change, Coinbase would make those coins available for customers to withdraw, not keep them.
    Still can't find what you're looking f
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    The UAHF is incompatible with the current Bitcoin protocol and will create a separate blockchain. Should the UAHF activate on August 1, Coinbase will not support the new blockchain or its associated coin. Any BTC within customers’ accounts will remain accessible over the main blockchain only, and will not be converted into BTC on the UAHF chain.

The UASF will not alter any customer funds which are stored in Coinbase.
    Does this affect funds stored on GDAX as well?

Yes, this affects BTC stored on both Coinbase and GDAX.
    What is the UAHF? What is the UASF? What is Segregated Witness?

There are two major upcoming proposals that will affect the Bitcoin protocol and network. These are known as the UAHF and UASF.

The current User Activated Hard Fork (UAHF), including BitcoinABC, is a proposal to alter the Bitcoin protocol by creating a new version of the Bitcoin software, which will operate on its own, separate blockchain.

In contrast, the User Activated Soft Fork (UASF), also known as BIP148, is a proposal to alter the Bitcoin protocol by merging new features into the Bitcoin software, but continue using the same existing blockchain. The proposed features for the upcoming UASF include Segregated Witness, a technology designed to increase the amount of transactions that can be made over the Bitcoin network, and increase the security of the network.
    When will the UAHF happen? When will the UASF happen?

The UAHF is scheduled to activate on approximately August 1, 2017. The UASF is scheduled to activate at approximately the same time as the UAHF.
    Will Coinbase eventually support withdrawals for the UAHF version of Bitcoin?
    We do not plan to offer support for the UAHF chain at this time. You will not be able to withdraw the UAHF version of any Bitcoin from Coinbase. Although we have no plans to support additional blockchains at this time, we will continue to monitor UAHF developments.
    Can you recommend which wallet software I should use if I want to withdraw my Bitcoin?
    While we cannot recommend any particular third-party wallet, a helpful list of wallet options is available here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
    Does Coinbase support the UAHF? What about the UASF?
    We support the growth and scaling of the Bitcoin network. Although we have no plans to support additional blockchains at this time, we will continue to monitor UAHF/UASF developments.
    Will Coinbase keep UAHF coins for itself?
    No.

Coinbase does not intend to support or interact with the UAHF chain. If this were to change, Coinbase would make those coins available for customers to withdraw, not keep them.
    Still can't find what you're looking f

I have been reading a bit on it and by no means an expert so I wouldn't want to give you any bad advice. I personally will make sure I have no BTC leading up to date and will let the dust settle before using it again. I will continue my speculative LTC investment through this time though.
  • jmanjman Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    What other wallets would you guys recommend to turn BTC into USD and then back to a US bank? I currently am using blockchain to receive funds, then ship them to coinbase to transfer to my US bank. I'm having trouble understanding what all this means.
  • edited July 2017
    jman wrote: »
    What other wallets would you guys recommend to turn BTC into USD and then back to a US bank? I currently am using blockchain to receive funds, then ship them to coinbase to transfer to my US bank. I'm having trouble understanding what all this means.

If you're worried and looking to liquidate quickly you can give localbitcoins a shot. You can sell for many methods on there and the site has a built in escrow to protect sellers. Just like eBay or anything else only open trades with people with a large trade history.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    jman wrote: »

I have the same question. It's getting harder to go USD<->Bitcoin