Betting Talk

NFL CONCUSSIONS

BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
edited November 2016 in Sports Betting
Since I have not heard of a remedy to reduce the head to ground concussions in the NFL. How about this?
All helmets to have a light weight shock pad glued to the impact area in back part of helmet so when head hits ground the pad will receive the shock not the back of the players head and the brain will not be in danger.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    They've tried all different types of helmets/pads/foam/etc and they still can't beat the law of physics.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited November 2016
    BayOcean wrote: »
    Since I have not heard of a remedy to reduce the head to ground concussions in the NFL. How about this?
    All helmets to have a light weight shock pad glued to the impact area in back part of helmet so when head hits ground the pad will receive the shock not the back of the players head and the brain will not be in danger.

There is a remedy, it is called a mouth guard. Doctors developed a mouth guard that drastically cuts the chances of a concussion, but many players don't like to wear mouth guards(any mouth guard will help over no mouth guard). People see the head hit the turf, or helmet to helmet collisions, but the jaw movement on those collisions is a key component to concussions. Mouth guards help protect the jaw from moving on those collisions.

The other smaller "issue" that science has drastically reduced(or almost cut out) is cramping. Teams and players are more worried about getting million dollar endorsements from Gatorade/Powerade etc, yet they still cramp up all the time. I laugh when a guy starts cramping and they start filling him with fluids. Too late and you are giving him the wrong stuff. When I was 14, we had a doubleheader with a temp in the upper 90's. Before I left, my dad handed me a dixie cup filled with something that looked like pee. I'm thinking what the hell is this. He says, it's pickle juice, drink it and stay hydrated. Later on, he told me pickle juice is like liquid sodium, goes right to your muscles(right about the pickle juice, wrong about the reason). I've taken it ever since and I've never cramped in my life. BYU offers it to their players. Players who drink it cramp way less than those who don't. They said they would go from IV'ing 2-3 players a game to 2-3 players a year. It also gets rid of a cramp faster than water or a sports drink, and those cramps come back at a much lower rate(close to 0). They finally did a study on pickle juice to see if it actually worked better than water or sports drinks. The results mirrored BYU's results. Cramping was way down compared to water/sports drinks, those that were cramping stopped within 80 seconds compared to a little over 2 minutes with water/sports drinks, and the pickle juice people didn't re-cramp while some of those on water/sports drinks did. They also found it didnt raise your sodium, potassium, or magnesium levels so it wasn't being absorbed in your blood. That means it wasn't taking care of the cramp by adjusting your electrolyte levels(what sports drinks do). They broke down the ingredients to figure out what was the magic ingredient. They concluded it was acetic acid, which is the main ingredient in vinegar. Most guys still refuse to drink it, hell, some studies say you don't have to drink it, just swish it around your mouth, it causees a nerve response in your mouth which tells the brain to stop cramping.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    Stevie
    Your in depth and articulate response will hopefully be noticed by the NFL people who make intelligent changes.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited November 2016
    The pickle juice thing is pretty common in the running world (my wife is a runner).

They also have these if you just want a pickle-flavored treat... http://bobspicklepops.com/