Betting Talk

Survivor Pool - Week 8

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited October 2016 in Sports Betting
Any thoughts on Survivor picks for this weekend? Really tough slate of games. Here are the possibilities of games lined over a FG (with the current lines)...

NE at Buffalo (-6)
Denver vs. San Diego (-4.5)
Dallas vs. Philly (-4.5)
Minnesota at Chicago (-4.5)

Also got several games at -3 (Tennessee, Atlanta, NY Jets, and Carolina).

I've got all 4 of NE/DEN/DAL/MIN available, and am leaning towards Denver right now, but don't feel at all good about them. It's almost like I'm using them due to process of elimination. New England is in a tough spot playing a road divisional game, and there are MUCH better spots to use them down the road. Can say the exact same thing about Minnesota, plus it seems like they are the overwhelming pick this weekend (according to the data at Survivorgrid.com).

So it really takes me to the Dallas and Denver games. I'm not totally sold on Dallas and not sure how good Philly is, but also see some potentially better spots to use Dallas in the future.

As for Denver, this is probably the best spot to use them all season. Only time they are projected to be favored this big again is week 17 against Oakland, and that game could be meaningless with starters rested so I sorta ignore it for now. But I think that San Diego is playing really well right now, and feel like taking Denver is just rolling the dice with the best of a lot of bad options.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BobbyBingoBobbyBingo Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    I have Dallas Denver Minny also left. I used NE. Survivor league drives me nuts but I love it. I easily could have been eliminated in week one when I took Seattle or Week 3 when I took Miami but some how they survived. So this week I am going with Dallas. I can see Denver winning but SD plays good on the road and there offense is clicking. Denver should win, there is a revenge motive and they are home but for some reason that one gives me semi cold feet. Minny are frauds on Offense. There D is really good but playing at Chicago they could lose. I heard Cutler might be back and that will give the Bears a better chance to win. My reasons for taking Dallas is I think there pretty good. Playing at home coming off a bye with a long time to prepare should help. Philly to me is fraudish on offense but there D is good. There 1-2 on the road. I just don't see Dallas losing at home. With that being said nothing in the NFL surprises me. Good luck who ever take!
    edited October 2016
    Also I never save a team because there better spots down the road. I just go with best one I think is gonna win. In other words I don't look ahead, but that's just my strategy.
  • ACE10ACE10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Good analysis thanks. I've had a tough time trying to decide this week, not comfortable with any of these options. I went with Denver, don't feel great about it but this is the best spot for them. Hopefully they can pressure Rivers the whole game and force some turnovers.

I'm not taking a road divisional game unless it's clearly the best option so that rules NE/MIN out. NFC east matchups scare me in general and I'm wary of rookie QB's. I'd rather take Dallas on the road next week against Browns instead of this week.

My big pool has a Thursday deadline and 40% are on Minny. Rest of pool are close to evenly split on the other three teams along with the Titans. Good luck, lets all get a W and root for da Bears Monday night!
    edited October 2016
    Agreed I'm not crazy about anything either this week. I have yet to take a road team. I went to the Dallas vs Green Bay game and was really impressed with there whole team rookie QB and all. NFL is always a crap shoot. Just about anything can happen. Even a tie��
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    TommyL wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Survivor picks for this weekend? Really tough slate of games. Here are the possibilities of games lined over a FG (with the current lines)...

NE at Buffalo (-6)
    Denver vs. San Diego (-4.5)
    Dallas vs. Philly (-4.5)
    Minnesota at Chicago (-4.5)

Also got several games at -3 (Tennessee, Atlanta, NY Jets, and Carolina).

I've got all 4 of NE/DEN/DAL/MIN available, and am leaning towards Denver right now, but don't feel at all good about them. It's almost like I'm using them due to process of elimination. New England is in a tough spot playing a road divisional game, and there are MUCH better spots to use them down the road. Can say the exact same thing about Minnesota, plus it seems like they are the overwhelming pick this weekend (according to the data at Survivorgrid.com).

So it really takes me to the Dallas and Denver games. I'm not totally sold on Dallas and not sure how good Philly is, but also see some potentially better spots to use Dallas in the future.

As for Denver, this is probably the best spot to use them all season. Only time they are projected to be favored this big again is week 17 against Oakland, and that game could be meaningless with starters rested so I sorta ignore it for now. But I think that San Diego is playing really well right now, and feel like taking Denver is just rolling the dice with the best of a lot of bad options.

Any thoughts?

Don't know where you see a better spot for Dallas other then week 15 which is a long way off unless you think on the road next week against Cleveland. I think New England is the best choice. I believe Buffalo Shut out NE in week 4 and old Rexie shot his mouth off it's pay back time. I used NE and Denver I don't trust them anyway. I can't go with the Bears I can't even understand why people would consider them. My two choices come down to Dallas and Carolina. I like that Dez should play and in the Carolina game I think it's more against Arizona who I feel is in a bad spot. For sure a tough week and should cut a chuck out. Good Luck to all.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Don't know where you see a better spot for Dallas other then week 15 which is a long way off unless you think on the road next week against Cleveland. I think New England is the best choice. I believe Buffalo Shut out NE in week 4 and old Rexie shot his mouth off it's pay back time. I used NE and Denver I don't trust them anyway. I can't go with the Bears I can't even understand why people would consider them. My two choices come down to Dallas and Carolina. I like that Dez should play and in the Carolina game I think it's more against Arizona who I feel is in a bad spot. For sure a tough week and should cut a chuck out. Good Luck to all.

I was looking at weeks 15 and 16. In my big one, you need to start picking 2 teams/week starting with week 13, and there are still ~400 people left, so it'll likely make it that far (and it's really tough to find 2 teams in week 16 especially, so Dallas would be helpful at home against Detroit). I know that some don't like to look ahead, but I usually do try and look at the season as a whole, finding the best spot to use each team and look at difficult weeks in the future.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    agree that in this type of pool and ive won a few , take the team you best think will get you to the following week. that being said, with the teams you mentioned above ,i feel the Pats are the best choice.

good luck in your pools
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    TommyL wrote: »
    I was looking at weeks 15 and 16. In my big one, you need to start picking 2 teams/week starting with week 13, and there are still ~400 people left, so it'll likely make it that far (and it's really tough to find 2 teams in week 16 especially, so Dallas would be helpful at home against Detroit). I know that some don't like to look ahead, but I usually do try and look at the season as a whole, finding the best spot to use each team and look at difficult weeks in the future.

That is a Big we had 179 @50 each and we have a 2nd one that started week 6. Look ahead IMO is the only to play if you expect to win. I try to pick four weeks in a row. There really hasn't been a big upset this year that knocks out a big chunk. It seems that almost every year the first week or two there's a big DD upset that knocks the field down and then it becomes a grind. This year it's been a grind from week one. I'm stuck with Dallas which really isn't that bad. Good Luck
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    Ot .. the pools am in are like yours except i had to pick two teams each week for the first two weeks.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    That is a Big we had 179 @50 each and we have a 2nd one that started week 6. Look ahead IMO is the only to play if you expect to win. I try to pick four weeks in a row. There really hasn't been a big upset this year that knocks out a big chunk. It seems that almost every year the first week or two there's a big DD upset that knocks the field down and then it becomes a grind. This year it's been a grind from week one. I'm stuck with Dallas which really isn't that bad. Good Luck

Yea, it started with about 1900, but due to the format and the fact that it makes to thru week 17 with winners splitting more often than not, need to be aggressive and look ahead a bit otherwise you're taking underdogs the last few weeks. I am in another smaller one where there are 18 of us left, however that one is unique in that if it does make it thru the regular season, it keeps going into the playoffs and if you've got no teams left, you lose. However, much tougher to make it that far when we only started with about 80 people.
  • tro19tro19 Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm in the same boat here, but also have considered Cincinnati as a play. Only because i think they are a better all around team. Minnesota seems to be a popular play, but my gut tells me to stay away. I don't like playing prime time games, especially Monday night. I don't have the option of playing NE, but if I did I would choose them over the others listed. No strong opinion though. My second choice would be Dallas, but would like to play them next week. I can't figure Denver out for the life of me, so I'd probably look at a better week to play them. I guess that leaves Minnesota as choice #2. They should bounce back after the debacle against the Eagles, but I'm going with my gut and staying away. Lean Pats. Good luck whichever you choose TommyL. Not to high jack this post, but if anyone has a strong opinion on why I should not play Cincinnati this week outside of them playing in London, I'd appreciate any input.