Betting Talk

Daivid Blatt

Comments

• Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    kane wrote: »
    do you think he gets another head coaching job? And I'm talking about in the NBA, not Europe, cause I sure don't

I think he could get another job,
    He's proven to be smart, he made a couple of good player moves midseason and the Cavaliers were doing very well when healthy. He's had a go around now and i think he knows what it takes to succeed.

Agree with you that yesterday was not his brightest day......

Now about tonight,
    Who's covering and who's not?
    Zig Zag be damned I think the Grizzlies at +4 are a very good play.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    After I seen that play I can only come to 1 conclusion, some thing not so nice was on Blatt's mind, but fuckin hey who am I to question an NBA coach.

That call made no sense at all, nor did that time out he was trying to call when he clearly knew he had none left. I'm sorry folks, but I'm not in the camp that this guy is that stupid. Clearly other motives behind his moves.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    I think he could get another job,
    He's proven to be smart, he made a couple of good player moves midseason and the Cavaliers were doing very well when healthy. He's had a go around now and i think he knows what it takes to succeed.

Agree with you that yesterday was not his brightest day......

Now about tonight,
    Who's covering and who's not?
    Zig Zag be damned I think the Grizzlies at +4 are a very good play.

Obi, I have much respect for you regarding the NBA, but I don't see him getting another head job if he gets fired, we'll have to agree to disagree. As far as the midseason moves, I would give more of the credit to David Griffin, and especially LeBron, if LeBron didn't want Schumpert, Smith, or Mozgov, the deals would have never been made, I could be wrong and maybe Blatt had more of a say in those moves than I think, but ultimately it was Lebron's call. The main reason Lebron left Miami was to have more power in personnel decisions, something the Heat didn't fully give him (the amnestying of Mike Miller is one example), if Blatt didn't want those trades to happen, but Lebron did, the trades are happening, he has more power in that organization than Blatt does. As far as tonight goes, I'm locked and loaded on the Grizz, I love their old school style of play, inside-out, and they play solid defense, Tony Allen has done an amazing job on Klay Thompson, and Gasol and Z-Bo have been dominant, Mike Conley might be the most underrated player in the league, which is understandable given the glut of outstanding point guards in the league, but he runs that team as well as anyone could. The thing that would worry me if I was a Warrior fan is that for as talented as they are, they're a young team that's never been through this before, they haven't faced any adversity all year, and even though Kerr did a great job, he's rookie coach who has never been through this before either, and for whatever reason Curry's shot has been off, it will be very interesting to see how they come out tonight, the Grizz have been able to control tempo all series and by making it a half court game, they're making things very tough on G St, the slow down physical style of Memphis has proven to be a terrible matchup for G St, I think Memphis gets them again
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    This is a good discussion to stir up some shit. But I ask my play calling detractors:

With 1.5 left and a play called during the "review TO", % wise what play has a better chance succeeding?

a. Designed play with all 5 players keen on.

b. Freelance helter skelter with the star only knowing what's going on. He also has a poor crunch time success rate. Although getting better with 3gamers.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    This is a good discussion to stir up some shit. But I ask my play calling detractors:

With 1.5 left and a play called during the "review TO", % wise what play has a better chance succeeding?

b. Freelance helter skelter with the star only knowing what's going on. He also has a poor crunch time success rate. Although getting better with 3gamers.

Well, after watching the end of yesterday's game, I'll have to go with B Ron
    edited May 2015

The above is the knock on LBJ calling an audible without the other 80% aware. Also, wasn't he playing on a twisted ankle?
    edited May 2015

re: A
    - not all 5 players were keen on the Blatt play. JR Smith suggested a play with LeBron on the court instead of inbounding the ball. And just guessing here but I believe every single player in that huddle must have gone: 'wtf?!' when Blatt announced LeBron inbounding.

re: B
    - After establishing that LeBron was going to be on the court and LeBron said to Blatt 'get me the ball', it might have been Blatt's play call to fake the dunk/drive-to-the hoop for LeBron and then have him cut back to the corner for the shot. That we don't know.

So Smith said what everybody thought, LeBron advised Blatt and Blatt drew up a great play that worked to perfection ;)
    edited May 2015
    The above is the knock on LBJ calling an audible without the other 80% aware. Also, wasn't he playing on a twisted ankle?

That's where we disagree, I don't think the other 3 were not aware.
    edited May 2015
    Obi, this is reaching the mutiny point. LOL The enlisted guys are overruling the brass.
    edited May 2015
    Adam Silver has just tweeted,
    Free 800 # now available for questions and comments on Blatt's coaching
    please call 1-800-ASK-BLATT :laugh:
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Do you really believe that the Ref's didn't see Blatt trying to call a time out . Also as most know it's not unheard of that the star will scratch the coaches play or just change it. Did anyone ever hear about the Larry Bird /K.C Jones story with Larry scratching K.C's play.
    edited May 2015
    Do you really believe that the Ref's didn't see Blatt trying to call a time out .

Exactly OT, that's why I quit years ago questioning anything that happens in any Pro sport/game involving coaches, players, or refs.
    It's like questioning a corporate Lobbyist :laugh:
    edited May 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Do you really believe that the Ref's didn't see Blatt trying to call a time out . Also as most know it's not unheard of that the star will scratch the coaches play or just change it. Did anyone ever hear about the Larry Bird /K.C Jones story with Larry scratching K.C's play.

Just rewatched the final secs,
    None of the refs was looking at Blatt.

It also does appear to me that they break the huddle during the refs review with 1.3 secs left and LeBron says to Dellavadova: That ball is going to me. Della then informs the other players to stand wide at the 3 point line and get out of the way. Once the ball goes in I don't see Blatt celebrating.
    edited May 2015
    Once the ball goes in I don't see Blatt celebrating.

Good catch Obi, just confirms everything I was thinking earlier.
    edited May 2015
    Just rewatched the final secs,
    None of the refs was looking at Blatt.

It also does appear to me that they break the huddle during the refs review with 1.3 secs left and LeBron says to Dellavadova: That ball is going to me. Della then informs the other players to stand wide at the 3 point line and get out of the way. Once the ball goes in I don't see Blatt celebrating.

Very naive to think you have to be looking straight at someone to see whats going on these are train Ref's they call fouls from 30 feet away with a bunch of players in from of them. If you don't think the Ref's have something to do with these games what can I tell you. I'm not saying there cheating there were obvious fouls on LB that weren't called during the game but there not going to give Cleve a Technical and Chicago the ball for that mistake with 1.5 seconds to go.

Stars have been getting calls for years it is what it is. how far were the Ref's can you say for certain that someone didn't hear him in that moment he had to be screaming. You have 1.5 seconds and the greatest player on the planet and you want to use him as a decoy to a guy who has done nothing for 2 games and is hurting. What was it a month ago that LB said I'll call the plays.

Read Tim Donaghy Book it's a great read. Don't misunderstand I'm not saying that everything is fixed but there are certain things they turn a blind eye to. I'll be very surprised if Blatt is back next year. He was embarrassed and though he was undermined

He's the story about Larry Bird. KC is setting up a play that doesn't include Larry taking the last shot. Larry takes the clip board from his hands and scribbles his play and tells the team just get me the ball right here. K.C. starts screaming I'm coach I make up and call the plays and to the rest of you guys make sure you get Larry the ball right there. He wasn't the only star to do things like that.
    edited May 2015
    Ron, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. First off all, Spo was never dissed by Wade, Wade and Spo have always had a great relationship, you couldn't be more wrong.
    I think you missed something Kane.
    "Dwyane Wade and Erik Spoelstra have had a rocky relationship at times, and even though they've continually made up,

Especially the words coming from Wade:

I'm not going to say he's my guy, but he's my coach, you know.

Well that doesn't sound very confident.

Here's the link you requested from winner-13

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1487013-most-controversial-moments-of-dwyane-wade-erik-spoelstra-relationships
    edited May 2015
    OT,

When the Blatt brainfart happened, Chicago had just tied the game at 84, there were 8 secs left in the game and it was known to the referees that there were no time-outs left. There wasn't a reason for them to be looking for the time-out calls, because there were none, the ball had to be inbounded and play didn't stop.

The first ref was gathering the ball and giving it to Dellavadova for the inbounds, he also had an eye on LeBron and Butler who were jockeying for position. The other 2 refs were whaaayy up court. Almost out of the camera's view. They were looking at the players coming up at midcourt. Nobody was looking Blatt's way, luckily for him. He didn't overly run onto the court. He had his hands quietly in front of him calling for the T. Lue then quickly pulled him backed. It happened in less than a second. Easily to be missed by the refs. Especially if they were not expecting anybody to call one, since both teams had run out of TO's.

I do agree with you that some refs have a hand in the outcome of games. What comes to mind is the blatant starting of the clock in game 7 of the Spurs - Clips series this year. Spurs showed what the play was going to be, and Clips easily swatted the ball away on the end-of-game play. the ref didn't have to start the clock. The ball hadn't been inbound yet.
    edited May 2015
    On to a different subject who's enjoying the Rocket series. Wow
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I think you missed something Kane.
    "Dwyane Wade and Erik Spoelstra have had a rocky relationship at times, and even though they've continually made up,

Especially the words coming from Wade:

I'm not going to say he's my guy, but he's my coach, you know.

Well that doesn't sound very confident.

Here's the link you requested from winner-13

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1487013-most-controversial-moments-of-dwyane-wade-erik-spoelstra-relationships

Almost every relationship has had some rocky moments from time to time, a player and a coach who have been together for 13 years, of course there will be a few bumps in the road, and I would hardly call the quote I bolded a snide remark, but if that's the worst thing said between them, I'm fine with it
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    On to a different subject who's enjoying the Rocket series. Wow

Me and my 8-1 ticket on the Clippers are enjoying it very much
    edited May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Ron, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. First off all, Spo was never dissed by Wade, Wade and Spo have always had a great relationship, you couldn't be more wrong.

If you didn't recognize the disrespect shown by Wade in the video from national tv, then I'm talking to a bot.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kane

If you didn't recognize the disrespect shown by Wade in the video from national tv, then I'm talking to a bot.

Ron, the two of them had an argument, it happens, big deal. BTW, that spat came during the Pacer series, Wade was struggling and he was dealing with a bad knee, it was a frustrating time for him and he blew up on the sideline, you've never had a fight with your wife? You've never gotten into a shouting match with a good friend? The original thing you said that started this, was "He (Spo) was dissed early by both Wade and LBJ." Go check post 17, what exactly in that video constitutes a diss by Wade toward Spoelstra? That was an argument between a player and a coach during a very stressful situation, nothing more, nothing less
    edited May 2015
    Those issues are supposed to be taken care of in-house. It almost appears that DW took a mock swing at his coach. All this in front of millions of viewers? Not cool. Your standards must be a little different. PJ Carlissimo and Latrell Sprewell just hadda a normal spat?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Those issues are supposed to be taken care of in-house. It almost appears that DW took a mock swing at his coach. All this in front of millions of viewers? Not cool. Your standards must be a little different. PJ Carlissimo and Latrell Sprewell just hadda a normal spat?

Do you have any idea how often a player and coach get into it on the sideline/bench, and you're comparing that to what Sprewell did to Carllisimo? C'mon man. What you saw was a player who wasn't playing well, dealing with a bad injury and the frustration got the best of him, I'm not saying it was a great moment, Wade was clearly in the wrong, but it was a heat of the moment type of thing, and Wade later apologized, but the apology wasn't on video. They've spent 13 years together, I'm willing to give Wade a pass for a one time bad moment, don't make it out to be more than what it was
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Looks like David Blatt finally got himself a new job. He just agree to become the new head coach of Darrussafaka. Never heard of them? That's because they play in Turkey. He couldn't get a job in the NBA, so he went someplace more his speed, the Turkish league. Like I've said numerous times in this thread and others, Blatt was in over his head in the NBA, and the fact that he couldn't get another job here tells me all I need to know. I wish him all the success in the world in his new job, maybe he can win the Turkish league championship, but he was clearly not ready for the big time
    edited June 2016
    I read in an article on ESPN that LeBron got tired of him as he wasn't holding the younger players (Kyrie, Love) accountable (many were late to meetings or left training early) and he himself was late a couple of times.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Looks like David Blatt finally got himself a new job. He just agree to become the new head coach of Darrussafaka. Never heard of them? That's because they play in Turkey. He couldn't get a job in the NBA, so he went someplace more his speed, the Turkish league. Like I've said numerous times in this thread and others, Blatt was in over his head in the NBA, and the fact that he couldn't get another job here tells me all I need to know. I wish him all the success in the world in his new job, maybe he can win the Turkish league championship, but he was clearly not ready for the big time

Darrussafaka is pretty good.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Lol Blatt is better than Lue.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    durito wrote: »
    Darrussafaka is pretty good.

I'll take your word for it, they might be the best team in Turkey for all I know, but they're not in the NBA, and neither is Blatt
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I read in an article on ESPN that LeBron got tired of him as he wasn't holding the younger players (Kyrie, Love) accountable (many were late to meetings or left training early) and he himself was late a couple of times.

Very good point Obi. When the Heat are talked about, you frequently hear the term "Heat culture", when Lebron came here, that was something that he never experienced during his time in Cleveland, accountability. In Miami, everyone is held accountable, no exceptions. Lebron would get criticized during film sessions just as much as any other player, and I can promise you that a player showing up late for a team meeting or a practice would be held accountable. Blatt didn't have the respect from Lebron or the other players, and some of them took advantage of it, Let's be honest, if there was a rift between any of the players and Blatt, it was always going to be Blatt that left, no way the Cavs are trading Irving for showing up late to practice. In Blatt's defense, he was put in a tough spot, but he had the chance to earn the players respect, for whatever reason he was unable to do that. There were some turbulent times between Lebron and Spo during their first year together, but Spo was able to earn Lebron's respect, and there were no problems their last three years together. Once Blatt allowed certain players leeway, it sounds like they took advantage of him. Always like reading your thoughts regarding basketball Obi, GL the rest of the playoffs, and I hope things are going well with you and your family.