Betting Talk

Question for anyone that uses a runner.

winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
edited November 2015 in Sports Betting
Say for instance the runner bet the wrong team and the team that you picked won.
What is the normal way of handling this?

Thanks for input!

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    No cut and dry answer. Tapes? Tickets? Online snapshot of bet? Throw out some more particulars about the runner.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Hypothetical: Runner is a friend who you asked to place a bet for. He clicked the wrong team by accident. You fronted money told him you would give a % of winnings if the bet won.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    This has happened to me more than a few times over the years. I have a guy that
    edited November 2015
    If he is a trusted friend, I'd still ask for snapshot at the joint he placed the bet. If he produces, eat the loss and move on. If you continue to do biz with him, that's his only mulligan. Btw, if no proof is provided, discontinue using him.

I have a story about a runner allegedly getting robbed or losing $$ and how it was handled. Some other time.
    edited November 2015
    Thanks guys.
    What is the usual pay rate one gives a friend etc.?
    edited November 2015
    It has to be cumulative. When your profit reached a certain figure cut him 20%. Losers must be made up. No profit at season's end? Buy him lunch. Stress to him he's got a freeroll.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »
    Hypothetical: Runner is a friend who you asked to place a bet for. He clicked the wrong team by accident. You fronted money told him you would give a % of winnings if the bet won.

Why front money if he's a friend and making the play on-line and I wouldn't believe that and I really don't know for sure but a snap shot from a bet on line can be altered No? First time shame on him second shame on you. Personally there wouldn't be a second time. But that's just me.
    Always use a Red/Black figure with runners.
    edited November 2015
    Hypothetical: the friend does not have enough money etc. so I front him the money to bet and he takes a % of net earnings.
    I trust him. But ultimately, I believe I have been taken advantage of several times in the past (not necessarily runner related). I do not think it will happen again and if it does, I will ask him to pay half the bet or something.
    Thanks for your help, everyone!
  • CyrusIICyrusII Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    I think if you expect the runner to be responsible for the money wagered, then it becomes too risky of a job for most people. I imagine most people who accept to place bets can't even afford taking the risks. I have an agreement that I take the new bet if a mistake has been made. Happened only once and he realized it right after tip off, so managed to hedge it partially with live bets.