Betting Talk

Stock Market thread

Comments

• TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Like I said I'm no expert but the market is so manipulated that it gave you a taste the shorts came in with more and made more. The high intrest rate hasn't seem to bother them. It goes to $15 by the end of the year or even up to the first quarter next year you got 2 steaks one to eat and one to take home. This author keeps putting up the same articule and he's long in MNKD and SNY. Hang in there that was something custer said to his man and can you believe they had Custer in charge. Just breaking your balls but I'm not going away till I get my money that's how I was brought up. lol

Did they make more? from 5/15 to 7/15 the short interest remained the same at 112 mill shares, but the price was up 25% from 3.96 to 4.98, so that tells me they've lost the equivalent percentage of $$ on my calculator ;) and that isn't even adding the cost to carry in interest that they continue to pay through the nose. They are stuck in a bad position and you will know when they say uncle...
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    TheReb wrote: »
    Did they make more? from 5/15 to 7/15 the short interest remained the same at 112 mill shares, but the price was up 25% from 3.96 to 4.98, so that tells me they've lost the equivalent percentage of $$ on my calculator ;) and that isn't even adding the cost to carry in interest that they continue to pay through the nose. They are stuck in a bad position and you will know when they say uncle...

I love ya like a brother from a different Mother. I have a question if they're stuck in a bad position what are they waiting for. I can't argue with you about the stock market it's like me going to a gun fight with a knife. "A man must know his limitations" There, quotes from two movies.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    I keep reading that rates are supposed to rise in September, why has TBT been declining the last couple of weeks?
    Anyone know?
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »
    I keep reading that rates are supposed to rise in September, why has TBT been declining the last couple of weeks?
    Anyone know?

Double leveraged ETFs are only meant for day trading not holding.
    edited August 2015
    Anyone know whats going on with interest rates?
    There are indications that they will raise the rates in September but they've declined a lot the last week or so.
    Can anyone help me better understand this?
  • sa215sa215 Member
    edited August 2015
    The fed needs to talk up the possibility of raising rates - to put forth confidence in the economy, and dollar/bond mkt - so you will continue to hear of the coming raise (which was once June).

However, actually raising them will be tricky b/c it could spook the stock market, the near ZIRP policies are still needed to spur lending, and we can't carry the balance of our own debt if they were ever to actually rise significantly.

No one outside of Janet and her circle know if/when they'll actually raise them - but if they do, it will likely be a very small token raise or two a the most b/c anything more impactful is far too risky.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks, I have read about the opposite happening too, that once they get raised it could be take off.
    I am trying to learn more about interest rates and how it all works.
  • sa215sa215 Member
    edited August 2015
    that can also be true, but we'll all have big problems if that occurs. That would portend a crisis ala Greece - in which rates must rise to market levels to spur interest in our bonds and/or to battle inflation (as in the 1970s). If that happens, it would likely occur very very quickly.

Given the fact that the fed has been in the market buying bonds (QE 1/2/3 and Operation Twist) and still does so with rolling over maturing bonds.....a crisis like that and sharp rise in rates would mean these actions are no longer having an effect - so essentially a crash in value of the USD with few easy actions available to immediately help the situation
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Here's a great little company that's been bouncing around between $5.50 and $6.00--- LNREF (Lonestar Resources) Yeah, it's an oil company, but now is the time to sort through the rubble for great bargains for the future. Not only are they making money at the present oil price, but they will be upgrading to a major US exchange this year. I'm looking for $20 in next two years.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3400375-my-take-on-lonestar-resources-exceptionally-impressive-q2-2015-results?isDirectRoadblock=false&uprof=46
    edited August 2015
    Thanks, I'm in an oil company HK (Halcon Resources), got in at 1.27 and its about 0.99 currently and if I wasn't invested in it I would likely invest in that.
    In other news:
    It seems like interest rates will stay really low for quite some time. How much longer can the eventual rate hike keep being delayed? I'm going to try and short the bond market when this becomes more clear, we should all short it and be in this together!
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2015
    Why do you like HK? Looking for gem writeups for some risky investments! Need a good stock. I'm lame and own all Vanguard low cost funds.
    edited August 2015
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Why do you like HK? Looking for gem writeups for some risky investments! Need a good stock. I'm lame and own all Vanguard low cost funds.

Lol Mike, its funny because I have about 62% of my bankroll in Index Funds similar to Vanguards, I guess that makes me partly lame too.
    HK is my one "gamble" stock. Here are some quick points on why I like it:

- the price around $1 has been steady, it does have swings of 10% a day sometimes, but it seems to always revert back to at least $1 despite falling oil prices
    -It has a a large amount of insider buying, like 20% I believe of all common stock, and most at higher prices compared to today's
    -They seem to be cutting costs and will be able to survive this run of low oil prices
    link:http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/31/3-key-takeaways-from-halcon-resources-corps-earnin.aspx#ixzz3hVY55cu4
    -Once oil prices rise, if they do,I believe this stock should rise substantially
    When or how much? I have no clue

Its my "gamble stock" in my portfolio.
    edited August 2015

We should short the bond market at a 3X inverse with TTT, that would be fun!
    edited August 2015
    Just an fyi for those following MNKD, Conference call tomorrow pre market for 2nd Q earnings....no one expects any surprises regarding earnings, but the guidance and updates on any new developments will be what everyone will be looking for. The single biggest issue right now is getting it on formularies to reduce cost to the patients. Sanofi will not spend any money to create a mass demand (via direct to consumer advertising) until that issue is worked out. The last thing they want is thousands of patients frustrated with having to pay high out of pocket costs because their insurance does not cover it yet.

Regarding the interest rates winner_13, you won't see any pressure on them with commodities continuing to sink, ie., oil, gold, copper, etc., the continued drop in those prices is indicating deflationary pressures as opposed to underlying inflationary pressures most likely due to the softening demand in China, and continued sluggishness in the EU and other areas around the world. The balancing act will continue and right now as sa215 alluded to the Fed is still in mouthing mode rather than acting and if they did it would be token at best. Keep your eye on those commodity prices, until they turn meaningfully for any length of time...pressure will remain a lid on rates IMO.
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Can you give us a synopsis of what you took away from the conf. call Reb? Also, do you think reducing the cost for patients is plausible in the next year?
    edited August 2015
    Cools wrote: »
    Can you give us a synopsis of what you took away from the conf. call Reb? Also, do you think reducing the cost for patients is plausible in the next year?

Cools, I believe Sanofi is doing studies that will be issued in medical peer review journals showing the superiority that the trials set up by the FDA didn't due to their design. Overall, the lab results from the users of Afrezza are coming in not just lifetime bests for diabetics but their other numbers are coming in much better too. This is a result of the body actually healing itself as the extent of damage from diabetes is far reaching and the physiological response from the body as it gets normalized is very telling of the positive aspects of afrezza.

So with that in mind, Sanofi is well aware that the cost of Afrezza is minimal compared to the therapeutic value to the patients and in turn the longer term cost savings/benefits to the insurers. What has been going on with Novo and the insurers is nothing short of criminal in creating an anti-trust type of situation and keeping those who desire the treatment from getting it without paying full price out of pocket. It will take a bit of time for them to knock down that wall but when they do the backlog of patients will cause that inflection point everyone has been looking for in the script counts.

Check out this video to get an idea of how powerful this insulin treatment is:

https://vimeo.com/136197292

and this from a T2 diabetic that just received these eye opening results:

Dr. Denis I. Becker was rated top endocrinologist in 2014 and many other years by his patients and colleagues. I am grateful to be his patient.
    Today we discussed the superior results of my blood tests which showed an A1C of 6.5 (dropped from 7.6). Liver enzymes and kidney results were also near the middle of the spec.
    The lipid profile was excellent as triglycerides dropped from 188 to 104. The last closest number to that was 1/9/2010 which registered 132.
    My total cholesterol was 146 and I've never reached that number since I kept records beginning 1/21/05. At that time it was 178.

I asked the doctor how this could have happened. He said you are lowering your blood glucose to a point now where your body is healing itself.

As I mentioned previously, Dr. Becker has been very impressed with my glucometer readings since reviewing them after beginning Afrezza.
    He said that he would review the positive results with his colleagues.

I asked him today if he would tell me how many patients the clinic has on Afrezza. He said greater than 20 and they are all reporting very good results.
    I was Afrezza #2 patient at this practice.

Could you imagine how script numbers would read if all national endocrine clinics emulated Raleigh Endocrinology? Where are the other doctors?

With respect to the conference call, considering expectations were low going in, thought overall it went well especially the CFO's points.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    This is getting really fun now
    edited August 2015
    What is causing this ? Or is it just a correction? I don't believe it's all China
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    IMO it's been a long time coming just hope it's in the 10% range.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2015
    Been a nice long bull run without much correction. Time to take our lumps.
    edited August 2015
    Agree with you guys. Hoping it's 10% too.
    edited August 2015
    Been a nice long bull run without much correction. Time to take our lumps.

Maybe yalls cfb can make up for it

How yall feeling about the year?
    edited August 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    What is causing this ? Or is it just a correction? I don't believe it's all China

This is nothing, everything Bernanke pumped into this market since 2009 must come out. He will learn the hard way how exponents work.
    Poor China payback is a bitch. They deserve it anyway for the threats they made to Paulson to make them whole on Fannie and Freddy while the American public took it in the Ass
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/why-global-financial-markets-are-going-crazy.html?_r=0

Looks like it's been moving back up, but this will be interesting to follow.
    edited August 2015
    From my buddy Karl
    The Toughest Trade....

Is to go against the market.

The open today was so extreme and liquidity so poor that it was basically impossible to enter an order and have any reasonable expectation that you'd get a decent fill. For that reason the only wise choice today is to sit it out. A lot of people sold into the spike low and got flat-out murdered -- less than an hour later that act looks damn stupid.

However, you will soon have an opportunity to sell the bounce that comes when you get spike-down moves like this. It is unwise to try to get too far in front of that petering out, and if you've been long and just watched 10% or more of your account vaporize in names like Netflix and Amazon it will be intoxicating to see your balance creep back toward where it was a few days ago.

It will be very hard to sell into that rip because you won't be "made whole." But that still may or may not be the right choice, whole or not, on a cold, stone-faced analysis of the stocks you hold.

Prepare yourself to be coldly analytic now.

This is not a day to trade, it's a day to go the bar and drink.

In the coming days you will need that cold, analytic view to make a wise decision.

Go find it today, whether it's a day at the range, a day at the bar, a 10 mile run or a wild night of sex.

This isn't over folks. In fact you're just seeing the beginning, even as you watch the DOW come back by 2/3rds of its opening-print loss.
    edited August 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/why-global-financial-markets-are-going-crazy.html?_r=0

Looks like it's been moving back up, but this will be interesting to follow.

Maybe I'm even capable of reverse jinxing the stock market haha
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Maybe I'm even capable of reverse jinxing the stock market haha

The world thanks you.
    edited August 2015
    Oh wow just found out nasdaq futes where lock limit down today and it wasn't even reported. :laughing:
    Hasn't happened since the 2008 crash.
    edited August 2015
    From Karl
    Who Remembers 2000?

I love it, to be frank.

In early 2000 I woke up one morning, while hunting for a house here in Florida (and staying at the SanDestin Hilton) to see the Naz detonation. It was the "crack" that initiated the blowup in the Tech Wreck, of course.

A big grin split my face; I had expected that day, but of course nobody knew exactly when it would come.

This morning is another one.

The Fed, as in 2000, has blown it. Everyone on the teevee this morning is crying that the Fed might raise rates by a whole quarter point -- nothing, in the grand scheme of things -- and this would be "bad."

Really? Bad?

Let's cut the crap here folks -- what has actually powered the rise since 2009? Was it really an improving economy? If it was, why is The Fed still at zero interest rates eight years after 2007 -- and six years after the 2009 bottom?

And if it was not an actual improving economy then what leads you to believe that the price now shown on your screen should be materially different than it was in early 2009?
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Your friend Karl is smart....

I've been saying this rally was smokes and mirrors for years, there is way more downside coming. You can't leave interest rates at basically 0% for 6 years and not expect negative consequences. Watch them pull QE3 or 4 (I honestly forgot what # we are at) out of their ass now... Just delaying the inevitable.... The U.S. Economy as we know it is broken and it cannot be fixed, there is no reset button.

And let's not even talk about liquidity, or the lack thereof. Liquidity is always there when you don't need it, but come a crisis it dries up in seconds (thanks electronic trading)... It's even worse in the treasury market, look at the 10/15/14 flash crash and see how dry the market was.... This whole shit is a joke... And nobody wants to clear these trades anymore either because of Dodd franks bullshit balance sheet limits.... Yet another unintended consequence of people making new banking laws without fully understanding how a "free" market works....

Boom