• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    acetoten wrote: »
    DEAD. I miss the old days.

ACE

Do something to add to it then.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    He's right cpech56 I know what he means and I don't think he's being out of line he's just voicing an opinion that a lot of people are thinking. There's a lot of people that just don't post anymore. All you see is picks and I'm not asking for tout reasons but how about a tread about the days games the scheduling advantages and disadvantages some people believe and some don't why not find out why you don't or why you do. There's news that goes on in the world everyday how about some more Off-Topic conversations.
    I tried a few months ago to start I think on three different occasions about what's your opinion on different topics sports related but different. The thread died in a few hours.

Making a forum for people that are YShapiesY don't work because they're spending time in a more positive way and how many do you think are making money gambling and I'm talking about a living are going to give away trade secrets on a sports forum. The Mods do nothing here and why no contests for money. We talk about gambling we talk about off shore gambling and how to fund there accounts that's not legal.

If I rent my house to drug dealers even if I don't know what they're doing I'm still responsible for that property and what goes on there and can be held accountable also. This site can be held accountable for what goes on here. This forum is marketing tool as always and the banners came down because if a poster gets stiffed the person who promoted that book doesn't want to be involved. So what Ace is saying is true. IMO all that happens here is whining and complaining and the best part is a guy goes 0-7 and the crying is unbelievable.
    and then goes on a run and starts throwing flowers for lack of a better sentence. This forum went from Men who play to pre school who don't have a clue and really don't care and just want to pay someone to do the work and cry when it doesn't work out right away.

Edit: Lets make this place alive. Lets gamble off to Poker talk later.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    OT, I see where you guys are coming from now. But at the same time he's not posting threads trying like you have. I couldnt agree more on the contests though, what a cheap easy way for them to keep posters happy but yet it only happens twice a year. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for those two but there's so much more left to be desired.
  • edited December 2014
    Separate forums for picks, fantasy, and discussions is a terrible idea for a forum that isn't over run with users
  • maidenguymaidenguy Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    A great example is the poster named Bill The Cop. He posted some great information on teasers and some correlated stuff and then gets knocked around by other posters. So I don't see him posting anymore, why should he.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Actually, Bill the Cop is a great example of why forums are largely worthless these days. His information is rife with errors, and he's been told as such by literally hundreds of posters over the years, many of whom derive a substantial amount of their income from sports betting, and he either ignores them or responds with insults.

The most obvious example is that his patented "Bill the Cop teasers" are some subset involving +4.5 through +5.5 (or maybe it was +6) dogs teased up to +10.5 through +11.5 or +12. He promoted the win rate of X% with these teasers over some number of years in a datamined sample, but the problem was that those particular dogs did very well ATS, so you weren't actually gaining any value from the teasers.

The biggest red flag was that Pinnacle was willing to book those bets at alternate lines a good bit better than the teasers. Some very experienced pro bettors were willing to book the "Bill the Cop" teasers at those better Pinnacle prices. The first couple years that subset did well, and he beat his chest about how the "pro assholes" would have lost if they'd taken his bets. The last time Bill showed up with his teaser crap, I noticed something odd, he kept mentioning the results of those "Bill the Cop" teasers, but was specifically excluding the last couple seasons. It turns out the teasers did very poorly in those seasons so they were an overall loss in the out of sample results since the "pro assholes" offered to book those bets.

I have no idea what his motives are, if he's just a very skilled deep cover troll or if he has a Fezzik sized level of arrogance that he thinks he's right and the hundreds of skilled bettors who've told him otherwise are all wrong, but the fact that he's been chased off just about every gambling forum under the sun is a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Groovin, you should post here more often
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I mentioned that the site was dead a few months ago. I never really posted much but I would always read different threads and throw in my 2 cents. I think splitting up the forum with picks and discussions is one of the reasons.
  • waddywaddy Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I used to like way, way back in the day...a guy from St. Louis I want to say.....used to post a hottie of the day.
    Then a year or two ago, someone posted a funny pic of the day.
    I miss that crap
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    We need more participation from the RAS crew
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    He's right cpech56 I know what he means and I don't think he's being out of line he's just voicing an opinion that a lot of people are thinking. There's a lot of people that just don't post anymore. All you see is picks and I'm not asking for tout reasons but how about a tread about the days games the scheduling advantages and disadvantages some people believe and some don't why not find out why you don't or why you do. There's news that goes on in the world everyday how about some more Off-Topic conversations.
    I tried a few months ago to start I think on three different occasions about what's your opinion on different topics sports related but different. The thread died in a few hours.

Making a forum for people that are YShapiesY don't work because they're spending time in a more positive way and how many do you think are making money gambling and I'm talking about a living are going to give away trade secrets on a sports forum. The Mods do nothing here and why no contests for money. We talk about gambling we talk about off shore gambling and how to fund there accounts that's not legal.

If I rent my house to drug dealers even if I don't know what they're doing I'm still responsible for that property and what goes on there and can be held accountable also. This site can be held accountable for what goes on here. This forum is marketing tool as always and the banners came down because if a poster gets stiffed the person who promoted that book doesn't want to be involved. So what Ace is saying is true. IMO all that happens here is whining and complaining and the best part is a guy goes 0-7 and the crying is unbelievable.
    and then goes on a run and starts throwing flowers for lack of a better sentence. This forum went from Men who play to pre school who don't have a clue and really don't care and just want to pay someone to do the work and cry when it doesn't work out right away.

Edit: Lets make this place alive. Lets gamble off to Poker talk later.

Was just going to post about this. This place used to have a thread about most all big games. Today there are 3 bowl games. We need a thread for each with some input other than "I like so and so" People can discuss games with out giving away their trade secrets. Many seem to have been run off by all the bitching, whining, and name calling. We need to get back to having discussions and giving opinions while maintaining respect for others dissenting views. Even if you have stats to shoot down an argument-- there's a way to do it in a dignified manner.

We need less soap opera, and more intelligent discussion.
  • Octan21Octan21 Member
    edited December 2014
    Most interesting threads tend to be controversial. Whenever an interesting thread does develop it tends to get "squashed" by the moderator. That's how I see it anyway.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Separate forums for picks, fantasy, and discussions is a terrible idea for a forum that isn't over run with users
    This is my opinion as well. Browsing 3 separate forums makes it 1000x less appealing.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    The fantasy forum is 90% Goats asking for RB help on a week to week bases(no offense buddy), and gets less hits than Janay Rice. You go to one link for picks, and a SEPERATE link to discuss what you just read.
    edited December 2014
    Octan21 wrote: »
    Most interesting threads tend to be controversial. Whenever an interesting thread does develop it tends to get "squashed" by the moderator. That's how I see it anyway.

I agree. My bitch thread was the 3rd best thing this forum saw in 2014. Behind DrH picks, and H82loss tennis picks:)
  • edited December 2014
    Maybe it's not worth it for them to have a successful forum.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2014

Only if it violates site rules. If those are the only threads that you find interesting, not sure what to tell you.
  • Octan21Octan21 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm not in the habit of reading all the rules for the sites where I post. So, I'll take your word on that Goats.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I'm not in the habit of reading all the rules for the sites where I post. So, I'll take your word on that Goats.

It's a good habit to get into. Would help you understand why things are done in this case.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    yes, everybody loves a forum that has little activity yet is moderated with an iron fist
  • richhhhrichhhh Junior Member
    edited December 2014
    I recently joined this site with the purposes to scrap up some mathematical post from the past that would help me improve my skills as a handicapper. I believe the search bar is useless because I have yet to find anything that I would even consider worthy of a bookmark. I was also curious of previous write up that were made by ras as I was told there was good information in there.Can Anyone recommend some good threads with strong analytical discussions?
  • barmoycmbarmoycm Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    yes, everybody loves a forum that has little activity yet is moderated with an iron fist

lol this is pretty accurate .. and whoever said about everyone knockin around other posters to the point of them leaving happens too ...ive seen people come and post winners and people are flipping there shit about records when theres no evidence to suggest anyone had the intent to mislead people..oh well
  • MikeNyceMikeNyce Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I think they need to bring back the Service Plays Thread
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    MikeNyce wrote: »

I remember Ed saying it's a constant struggle to keep RAS plays off of other forums' service play threads. IMO, it would be hypocritical to contact other forums, request that RAS plays not be posted (sometimes even give contributions to the site), while having a thread posting everyone else's plays on your own forum.

Edit: The making contributions part was an assumption, I don't know for certain that RAS does that.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I don't quite understand why RAS cares if their plays are posted elsewhere. By that time the value is gone. And if the line is still available it usually means it's a bad play. Plus it gets more people talking about their plays. I'm sure there is some other reason but I would think the good outweighs the bad.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    MikeNyce wrote: »

I disagree. There are plenty of forums out there where you can find service plays. The last thing I need is to see is who Brandon Lang, Steve Budin, or Jim Feist is on, I'd like to think this place is a little sharper than most and I would prefer to keep it that way, and I don't see how the posting of service plays would make BT better. There are a lot of guys here who post plays on a regular basis, some sharp, some not so sharp, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference. If you know who to tail, you'll do a lot better than following some clown coin flipping tout, just my opinion.
    edited January 2015
    All I want is some real money contests and of course Super Bowl Squares March Madness final 4 squares and a baseball contest. I use to have all of that and run them and have a blast with them. You'll get traffic and more interest then ever before and who knows the winner of a contest or a square may put the money towards a Subscription to one of the services that are going on here. Forums have and still are doing them for years and nobody has gone to jail yet. I'll even do all the work with an assistant if I need to leave for a week or so. Will also use the same disclaimer at the bottom of this page and and say we're playing for tooth picks. Can't have a contest put we can have fantasy football with bonus's for cash money deposits. This place just needs to lighten up in certain areas. JMO

PS: Don't forget the side action would be a blast.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I remember Ed saying it's a constant struggle to keep RAS plays off of other forums' service play threads. IMO, it would be hypocritical to contact other forums, request that RAS plays not be posted (sometimes even give contributions to the site), while having a thread posting everyone else's plays on your own forum.

Edit: The making contributions part was an assumption, I don't know for certain that RAS does that.

I'm pretty sure he advertises on other sites and then there's a deal so that they don't post the RAS plays.

RAS is going after the less sophisticated bettor these days. The less sharper bettors don't understand the value of missing a play by a few points if it's posted somewhere else. God knows I was that way a few years back
    edited January 2015
    Ras is def going for the "less sophisticated" player these days. Your exactly right. Not in the mood right now to go into detail on why I think/ know this, but in a short amount of time there will be almost no sharp people subscribing to his service. That's just my opinion.

I couldn't be happier about quitting him. My life is so much less stressful not having to deal with the everyday issues that are involved when following.
    edited January 2015
    I'm pretty sure he advertises on other sites and then there's a deal so that they don't post the RAS plays. He doesn't have to advertise on any site everybody knows who he is and why would he pay someone not to put his games up with bad lines. He puts them 10 minutes after the game starts so why would he care if another forum puts them up 10 minutes after release. I've been getting his games for years on many different sites but do I play them why would I sports gambling is about numbers and if you can't get the right numbers why play that game.

RAS is going after the less sophisticated bettor these days. The less sharper bettors don't understand the value of missing a play by a few points if it's posted somewhere else. God knows I was that way a few years back

Why would he advertise everyone knows who he is. Do you really think he would pay a forum to not let there members post his picks way way after the lines have moved.
    Maybe you know but I don't know anybody that can be as you say a less sophisticated player who can afford his service and the amount of money needed to bet to make it worth while or at least not that stupid to spend that kind of money and not know what they're getting into.

He was always up front if you don't have enough outs and can't get his numbers you should think about spending the money for his service. IMO and it's no disrespect just an opinion his business is taking a hit and may not be around much longer. Did anyone think of this when he started taking on other partners in other sports. Making changes every year this year credits what's next year? Me I'm just old I can't believe that people spend that kind of money and bet what's needed to bet on bad numbers and then whine when they lose. I had a big job for 23 years I rode the wave until the wave crashed and burned and it was over and they all do. It wasn't my first rodeo I knew it would they all end.
    Everyone looking for the easy way. That ended you may have missed it but take my word for it it ended. The people who are still making it and some are sharp enough that they're doing well aren't sharing.