Betting Talk

NRopp

JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
edited March 2015 in Sports Betting
This guy seems a bit less tilt-inducing than most of the other twitter superstars and HFS does he seem to have a lot of time on his hands. Vaguely recall him losing most of his higher rated plays last year and he confesses today that most lines move against him (paraphrasing)

I'm neither endorsing or criticizing, but he doesn't tilt me as badly as the other clowns fwiw

Comments

• TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    He used to post on another forum (can't remember which) and the only "tilt-inducing" offense I can remember was the way people used to fellate him.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    nropp - 78-91-5 -32.30
    through 12/17
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    For someone who only posts on Twitter for free I notice a lot of times he posts stale lines.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I enjoy his write-ups. I try to learn a little something about the teams he talks about and as far as a guy to follow there's nights he's all over the place. with ML's Etc: Etc:Etc: and I never really understood people that bet 5 units and then 2 units and 1 unit. But I will say one thing I look at what he's playing and if TommyL happens to be playing that game or SB and the number is right it's worth a look. Lot of if's. Not saying to bet it but it's worth a look. In a small way he reminds me of Boston Red not comparing just his write-ups.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    NRopp knows a lot about college basketball, but he knows very little on how to bet college basketball. There's a very big difference.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    how do you become a twitter allstar? My nephew has 40,000 followers I cant get a 100
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    how do you become a twitter allstar? My nephew has 40,000 followers I cant get a 100

Get the razorblades outta your pocket.

This NRopp guy talks a good game. Kinda similar to Russ Culver. Who btw is a nice guy but like the rest of these lightning-in-a-bottle touts............coin flippers.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited January 2014
    Holy cow what a bloodbath
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    as of today (1/30/14), he is -90 units
  • pufferfishpufferfish Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    as of today (1/30/14), he is -90 units

He's been losing, but this is an incredibly misleading post considering he makes multi-unit plays (sometimes all the way to ten units per play).
    edited January 2014
    pufferfish wrote: »
    He's been losing, but this is an incredibly misleading post considering he makes multi-unit plays (sometimes all the way to ten units per play).

NROPP 2013-2014 Season Record:
    205-222-10
    -90 units
    48% ATS

are all of these #s misleading?
    edited January 2014
    NROPP 2013-2014 Season Record:
    205-222-10
    -90 units
    48% ATS

are all of these #s misleading?

Obviously not... but you didn't include them all in your initial post. Regardless, thanks for the update. It's been surprising to say the least to see him be so awful this year in comparison to years past.
  • prophet73prophet73 Member
    edited January 2014

What exactly is misleading? Is it really debatable he's not anywhere close to a winning bettor this season? Because that's what that -90 units tells me. He's the one who is assigning his plays units between 1 and 10, not anyone else. If a player goes 3-1 and his 1 loss was a 10 unit loss while his other ones were only 1 unit, that still means he didn't appropriate his value bets correctly and thus, is a losing bettor. So regardless of whatever reasonable dollar amount you convert his units to, he's down a lot of money.

If you are instead saying if he hit NINE 10-unit bets (his max bet) and then he would magically be even, then well, I have a bridge to sell you.
    edited January 2014
    Obviously not... but you didn't include them all in your initial post. Regardless, thanks for the update. It's been surprising to say the least to see him be so awful this year in comparison to years past.

He was also a significant loser last year as well. He deleted his records on his website and has stated the past records have nothing to do with the future (and he isn't wrong about that).

He might have encyclopedic knowledge of CBB, but he himself has stated he is not a gambler or pro sports bettor and doesn't follow line movement at all--and the results show.
  • coyleraycoyleray Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Not defending the man...But the season is far from over..
    edited January 2014

He's always sucked.
    edited January 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    He's always sucked.

yup. its amazing, that despite the hard #s that show him to be a long term loser, there are still plenty of fanboys that run to his defense...
    edited January 2014
    prophet73 wrote: »
    What exactly is misleading? Is it really debatable he's not anywhere close to a winning bettor this season? Because that's what that -90 units tells me. He's the one who is assigning his plays units between 1 and 10, not anyone else. If a player goes 3-1 and his 1 loss was a 10 unit loss while his other ones were only 1 unit, that still means he didn't appropriate his value bets correctly and thus, is a losing bettor. So regardless of whatever reasonable dollar amount you convert his units to, he's down a lot of money.

If you are instead saying if he hit NINE 10-unit bets (his max bet) and then he would magically be even, then well, I have a bridge to sell you.

Your post is so discombobulated I don't even know where to begin. It's widely known in the betting community that unweighted records dictate 'true' record keeping. Just throwing out he's "-90 units" when the guy regularly bets five units or more doesn't help anyone. Why do you think RAS requires unweighted records on this forum? An unweighted record, or winning percentage (if all of the plays are at -110), would be the only way to gauge his performance relative to others.

Also, where did I say it's debatable as to whether or not he's winning this year? I used the word "awful" to describe his results.
    edited January 2014
    yup. its amazing, that despite the hard #s that show him to be a long term loser, there are still plenty of fanboys that run to his defense...

Not true. Not a fanboy, but he's put together some very successful seasons. You're aware his plays were moving lines at times last year, right? How often does Dr. H move a line, or you for that matter? Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand the harshness toward the guy. It's even more confusing when you consider he doesn't even consider himself a bettor.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Your post is so discombobulated I don't even know where to begin. It's widely known in the betting community that unweighted records dictate 'true' record keeping. Just throwing out he's "-90 units" when the guy regularly bets five units or more doesn't help anyone. Why do you think RAS requires unweighted records on this forum? An unweighted record, or winning percentage (if all of the plays are at -110), would be the only way to gauge his performance relative to others.

Also, where did I say it's debatable as to whether or not he's winning this year? I used the word "awful" to describe his results.

I read prophets post just fine. You clearly just wanted a terrible excuse to defend a loser. The point is obvious and the fact you try and make excuses for it is laughable.
    edited January 2014
    Not true. Not a fanboy, but he's put together some very successful seasons. You're aware his plays were moving lines at times last year, right? How often does Dr. H move a line, or you for that matter? Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand the harshness toward the guy. It's even more confusing when you consider he doesn't even consider himself a bettor.

Hey! I move non TV totals! lmao.

Stuckey NEVER moved lines. Anywhere. Ever.

He's a pompous ass that is leading sheep to the slaughter all to feed his own ego. It's pathetic.
    edited January 2014

OK then, I'll put it more simply for you: If nropp says he likes Play X for 10 units and he likes Play Y for 2 units, he is implying he believes Play X is a lot stronger than Play Y. You still with me?

And if the cumulative result of his--I'll call them "reads"--is -90 units, then it shows his "reads" are not very good. So not only are his "unweighted" results not good (AKA picking sides), but his "weighted" results are poor which shows he also makes bad "reads" (AKA not able to evaluate strength of picks).

RAS does have weighted picks on his own service. He went 4-3 (57%) this year on picks 1.5 units or more, which is slightly higher than the overall average. Now imagine if RAS went below .500 on them. If this below .500 averaged continued for a larger sample AND was below his overall record, do you not see how it would show that the "stronger" picks are probably incorrectly evaluated?

Season isn't over (as someone else pointed above), but so far, nropp hasn't shown that he can pick winners in addition to improperly evaluating how strong his picks are.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    OK then, I'll put it more simply for you: If nropp says he likes Play X for 10 units and he likes Play Y for 2 units, he is implying he believes Play X is a lot stronger than Play Y. You still with me?

And if the cumulative result of his--I'll call them "reads"--is -90 units, then it shows his "reads" are not very good. So not only are his "unweighted" results not good (AKA picking sides), but his "weighted" results are poor which shows he also makes bad "reads" (AKA not able to evaluate strength of picks).

RAS does have weighted picks on his own service. He went 4-3 (57%) this year on picks 1.5 units or more, which is slightly higher than the overall average. Now imagine if RAS went below .500 on them. If this below .500 averaged continued for a larger sample AND was below his overall record, do you not see how it would show that the "stronger" picks are probably incorrectly evaluated?

Season isn't over (as someone else pointed above), but so far, nropp hasn't shown that he can pick winners in addition to improperly evaluating how strong his picks are.

Are you fucking serious dude?
    edited January 2014
    kass101 wrote: »
    I read prophets post just fine. You clearly just wanted a terrible excuse to defend a loser. The point is obvious and the fact you try and make excuses for it is laughable.

I, too, acknowledged he's been a loser this season, even calling his performance "awful". Reading comprehension clearly isn't a strong point for you.
    edited January 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Hey! I move non TV totals! lmao.

Stuckey NEVER moved lines. Anywhere. Ever.

He's a pompous ass that is leading sheep to the slaughter all to feed his own ego. It's pathetic.

Completely agree with you in regard to Stuckey, but this discussion is related to nropp. Not sure if you realize that, or were just changing the subject intentionally. Either way, Stuckey is the worst because he actually claims to be 'good'. Nropp clearly states he isn't a bettor, and doesn't even care about lines. Huge difference, and as a result, they shouldn't even be looked at in the same light.
    edited January 2014

My point went completely over your head. You also continue to attempt to beat it into my head that he hasn't been capable of picking winners this year, which for some reason you've been incapable of picking up multiple posts ago that I'm already aware of this.
    edited January 2014
    My point went completely over your head. You also continue to attempt to beat it into my head that he hasn't been capable of picking winners this year, which for some reason you've been incapable of picking up multiple posts ago that I'm already aware of this.

You said: "Just throwing out he's "-90 units" when the guy regularly bets five units or more doesn't help anyone."

Everyone who follows/tails nropp clearly knows he weighs his units. So how is it not helpful? If someone tails his plays at any reasonable unit size, how is it NOT helpful to know you'd be down a lot?

You also said: "Why do you think RAS requires unweighted records on this forum? An unweighted record, or winning percentage (if all of the plays are at -110), would be the only way to gauge his performance relative to others."

Speaking of reading comprehension, are we comparing nropp to others? OR did the original post (that initiated your response on how we're "misleading") talk about how bad nropp--and nropp alone--has been this season? (I'll give you a hint, it was the latter.)
    edited January 2014
    You said: "Just throwing out he's "-90 units" when the guy regularly bets five units or more doesn't help anyone."

Everyone who follows/tails nropp clearly knows he weighs his units. So how is it not helpful? If someone tails his plays at any reasonable unit size, how is it NOT helpful to know you'd be down a lot?

You also said: "Why do you think RAS requires unweighted records on this forum? An unweighted record, or winning percentage (if all of the plays are at -110), would be the only way to gauge his performance relative to others."

Speaking of reading comprehension, are we comparing nropp to others? OR did the original post (that initiated your response on how we're "misleading") talk about how bad nropp--and nropp alone--has been this season? (I'll give you a hint, it was the latter.)

Dude - let's say someone (such as nropp) posts hundreds and hundreds of plays at widely varying unit sizes. Let's say this poster wins a vast, vast majority of his plays (from an unweighted standpoint), but either isn't good at differentiating between value gaps, or has had bad luck/variance on his 'max' unit plays, grossly skewing his results. If I only knew this poster was "-90 units", but not that he was hitting at better than 52.4% on EVERYTHING (not saying nropp is!), could I not be missing out on following a winner?

It wasn't lakemonster's obligation to post further information, I just felt obligated to mention saying someone with widely varying unit sizes being "-90 units" (with no other context) isn't necessarily indicative of the full story. In this instance, at least through 1/20 which was the last time nropp updated his record, he was only -24.8 units unweighted... not much different than buffettgambler, who is one of the best that exists.

Your confusing comment regarding my reading comprehension should make more sense after you read what I've just written.
    edited January 2014
    Look, if the scenario you described was in fact what happened here--where a player hit 52.4% or better and was negative units--then I wouldn't say you would be wrong to say something was misleading. But that's NOT the case here. nropp is a clear loser this year no matter how you look at it (which, yes, I know you know). So my original response was wondering why you "felt obligated" or whatever to try and say what lakemonster posted was misleading? You KNEW what he was portraying was essentially accurate. In fact you saying it was misleading, was the misleading thing.

And if we're really being sticklers around here, you don't get to use the 1/20 records because we're addressing the -90u claim which according to that tracking has an unweighted unit loss of -39.2.
    edited January 2014
    Look, if the scenario you described was in fact what happened here--where a player hit 52.4% or better and was negative units--then I wouldn't say you would be wrong to say something was misleading. But that's NOT the case here. nropp is a clear loser this year no matter how you look at it (which, yes, I know you know). So my original response was wondering why you "felt obligated" or whatever to try and say what lakemonster posted was misleading? You KNEW what he was portraying was essentially accurate. In fact you saying it was misleading, was the misleading thing.

And if we're really being sticklers around here, you don't get to use the 1/20 records because we're addressing the -90u claim which according to that tracking has an unweighted unit loss of -39.2.

You answered your own question, because -39.2u is a heck of a lot different than -90u. You'll come back and say "but he's still a big loser!!!", to which I concur, but that's beside the point. It can't be assumed, on a public forum, that everyone 'knows' nropp and his unit methodologies. And for that reason, the second post lakemonster made, which included win/loss and win percentage was way more helpful to the general consensus when attempting to draw conclusions from nropp's performance. Not sure how this is even debatable?