Betting Talk

Nropp

pufferfishpufferfish Senior Member
edited March 2017 in Sports Betting
Does anyone have any reasons for or against tailing his CBB plays? I've seen him move lines, and also have seen some pretty impressive records... just not sure if there was ever anything I missed along the way.

Thanks.

Comments

• coyleraycoyleray Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    He used to post on another forum. He always had great write ups and knowledge of the cbb game. He got fed up with a couple idiots and stopped posting during a losing streak.. I tailed him at times and had good success. I never knew him to cheat his record but does get advantageous lines.. At the very least his write ups are 2nd to none..
  • mjc257mjc257 Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    In terms of gambling, he isn't as good as he thinks he is. But very knowledgeable about cbb. There is a difference between being a winning bettor and being very knowledgeable about a sport and I think sometimes people overlook that.
  • edited November 2013
    he doesnt track his plays to my knowledge but i would strongly encourage anyone to read his stuff. its about as good as it gets. i would just read it to base your own opinion.
  • RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Very knowledgeable about basketball, but not very good at gambling from what I've seen. He is 1-7 or something like that so far this season and I'm pretty sure he was well below .500 last year. But again, he is very indepth with his analysis and knows the game.
  • Gordon GekkoGordon Gekko Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Nropps analysis is a great read, but off to tough start. He promised that his plays wouldn't be stars just flat betting, however that's ended week 1 as I've seen 2 star plays ect.. I wish him the best seems like a straightforward poster.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited November 2013
    I have quickly come to the conclusion that he adds zero analysis that isn't already factored into the line. Analogous to Phil Steele in college football (on a much smaller scale).
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    I have quickly come to the conclusion that he adds zero analysis that isn't already factored into the line. Analogous to Phil Steele in college football (on a much smaller scale).

same schtick, different thread...
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    same schtick, different thread...

Whether you think it's his schtick or not, he's right.
  • Joe DogsJoe Dogs Member
    edited November 2013
    Neal has a passion for college hoops,you can plainly see this in the time he spends in his write ups.He stated in his blog at the beginning of the season his wagers would be one or two units only.I get the impression Neal doesn't wager on his games.I believe his real passion is sifting thru stats and data and trying to get the pieces of the puzzle to fit,the gambling part is secondary....At least to him.
  • RonyBallgameRonyBallgame Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    He went 0-6 last night and released his first 5* tonight on Detroit +4. I don't generally subscribe to fading someone blindly but he is hitting about 15% on his selections thus far this year. Is also against RAS on a different play this evening. Just FYI. And Stuckey is tailing the Detroit play. Look for fireworks if Madison covers.
  • TurnstoneTurnstone Member
    edited November 2013
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Whether you think it's his schtick or not, he's right.

And he never claims to be doing any of that. I enjoy his stuff just based on his writing style. Short, quick, and simple.

He never claims to be a handicapper or even a gambler. He just like hoops.
  • prophet73prophet73 Member
    edited November 2013
    From nropp's first analysis post of this season:

"First, I don’t consider myself a handicapper, nor a gambler. I am a fan first, and this is nothing more than a hobby. I don’t have goals set for number of units, I could care less about line moves, and I rarely get the best lines available. If you’re looking for investment advice or turning this into an important source of income, please look elsewhere."

He's explicitly telling everyone that this isn't a gambling thing for him. I would take that to mean you should read his stuff like you read your favorite media sportwriter's stuff. He shouldn't be scrutinized the same as others out there.
  • tone10tone10 Member
    edited November 2013
    There are very few people out there who know more about CBB than nropp. Write-ups are second to none and must reads. I could care less about his record, the data he puts out is quality and you have to respect the amount of work he puts into it. There's a clear passion for college basketball there.
  • prophet73prophet73 Member
    edited November 2013
    tone10 wrote: »
    There are very few people out there who know more about CBB than nropp. Write-ups are second to none and must reads. I could care less about his record, the data he puts out is quality and you have to respect the amount of work he puts into it. There's a clear passion for college basketball there.

I think there seems to be difficulty assessing someone like nropp because there are at least two camps out there judging him with different sets of qualifications: those who want basketball analysis and those who want basketball GAMBLING analysis. For the former group, I think it's hard to argue with what you said about information, dedication, and passion.

As for the latter group, I think the record WOULD matter, but just like I pointed out above, nropp has explicitly taken himself out of this consideration, so it's strange to even judge him in this way at all. If he never posted picks, he would just be like another (albeit super detailed) sportswriter/blogger.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    I've gotten a lot of questions about this guy in the last couple months so figured I'd bump this. I don't really concern myself with free pickers if, for no other reason, enough of my media critics, people like Aaron Schatz and Jason R McIntyre (both fraud touts/fraud promoters themselves), claim I "attack anyone who posts picks" which is completely wrong. When someone here once asked about Alan Boston's records, I quoted some from Fezzik's old board which inspired a 20 tweet rant from him calling me a liar. I have enough drama from touts I don't need more from free pickers, and I don't want to give Shatz/McIntyre/etc any more fuel for their fire.

Anyway, I've never interacted with Nropp in my life on any platform, and when I was asked about him a few months ago, I noticed he blocks me on Twitter despite us never interacting. Then in the last couple days, I've heard from a ton of other people who've never interacted with him that were blocked -- apparently he is trying to prevent people from tracking his records, claiming that record trackers are "trolls," and blocking anyone who he thinks might be tracking him. That is a fantastic example of how one can be a fraud despite the picks being free.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    And the funny thing about the Twitter blocking is you can easily view the tweets of someone who blocks you simply by logging out, using a different browser, going incognito/private etc. When I was first asked about him, I looked at his Twitter feed and a few tweets back, he was doing an "AMA" where he was asked about line movement and CLV and said:
    "Never really paid much attention to movement. Doesn't decide anything. Gimme an example where line move won, and I give you one where lost."

QED.