Betting Talk

StevieY MLB 2013 Discussion Thread

Comments

• HavanaHavana Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I am a member of a group that makes numerous "gentlemen's" wagers. There are three basic rules. No compliments, criticisms or references to lu-k. Rationally, a belief in the "L" word is the result of poor reasoning or wishful thinking. "Thanks" is a positive allowance.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Havana wrote: »
    I am a member of a group that makes numerous "gentlemen's" wagers. There are three basic rules. No compliments, criticisms or references to lu-k. Rationally, a belief in the "L" word is the result of poor reasoning or wishful thinking. "Thanks" is a positive allowance.

The above makes perfect sense. I think the "L" word can also include "bad beats". I also think u could add another...... constantly blaming umpires and referees for making your own wrong decisions.
  • JchampJchamp Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly but it sounds like your saying you don't believe in luck, only poor reasoning .... BUT yet your to superstitious to spell out the word or mention it .. Isn't that a major contradiction of your proposed theory ???
  • JchampJchamp Member
    edited May 2013
    For me it's really a conscious understanding that sometimes you will feel like you were on the right side but just didnt get that clutch hit at the end of the game, bad call, poor game management, etc ... There is only so much you can do, things still need to happen in your favor .. Call it what you may, probability, luck, coincidence but in my opinion it's not always "poor reasoning".
    edited May 2013
    Good point. There are certain religious factions that do not allow the full spelling of G-d, Je-sus etc. as an acknowledgement of humility. We have eleminated the "L" word relative to it's superstitious aspect. The "N" word is now rarely used since it is by many considred an insult. The superstitious "black cat crossing your path" signifying bad "L" is another popular myth. The elimination of "hot/cold streaks" for the mathematical accuracy of variance is another example. The success of SY and others is purely based upon multiple forms of reasoning with no depencence on the erronious wishful concept known as "L". On one other note-athletes thanking Je-sus for a win "gets my goat."
    edited May 2013
    It is, however, "wishful" thinking" in addition to "poor reasoning" and "random occurance."
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2013
    REMINDER: Please DO NOT POST in StevieY's MLB pick thread. That thread is for his picks ONLY.

We kindly ask that you use this thread for any and all questions/comments pertaining to Stevie's MLB plays so that those subscribed to his pick thread only receive alerts when Stevie posts. Thank you.

Also, please try to have a point if you're going to comment.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Goats wrote: »
    REMINDER: Please DO NOT POST in StevieY's MLB pick thread. That thread is for his picks ONLY.

We kindly ask that you use this thread for any and all questions/comments pertaining to Stevie's MLB plays so that those subscribed to his pick thread only receive alerts when Stevie posts. Thank you.

Also, please try to have a point if you're going to comment.[/QUOTE]

If I used this guideline, I would never have a legitimate post
    edited May 2013

Also, please try to have a point if you're going to comment.

If I used this guideline, I would never have a legitimate post

Pointless posts have their place, this just isn't one of them.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Sure would be nice if Milwaukee could use that almost all right handed hitting lineup to win a game against a left handed pitcher once in awhile. They project great against lefties because of it and yet have the worst record in baseball against them.
  • Vikings23Vikings23 Junior Member
    edited May 2013
    3-6 this week. 25-37 overall. I can't take betting the brewers anymore. Between buffet n stevie I wonder how much the brewers have cost us.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited May 2013
    Vikings23 wrote: »
    3-6 this week. 25-37 overall. I can't take betting the brewers anymore. Between buffet n stevie I wonder how much the brewers have cost us.

Then you will love today. :)
  • organic313organic313 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Jesus Christ
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    organic313 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ

u do realize you don't have to bet his plays if you disagree right? shit, play the other side :)... GL today Stevie.
    edited May 2013
    This is the day things turn around and we don't look back. The pathetic, disgraceful, bad news bears of baseball. The assclowns themselves - the brewers will be the team to do it for you stevie. I'm sick of paying my bookie. Lets take these fcks to the cleaners. Time to go on Alittle roll. Today's a big fuckkn day for us. I'm pounding the brewers today. Doubling up. Sending it in. Cheers to that fellas and a happy fuckkn Memorial Day. Lets go.
  • organic313organic313 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Hilarious. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade.
    edited May 2013
    This is the day things turn around and we don't look back. The pathetic, disgraceful, bad news bears of baseball. The assclowns themselves - the brewers will be the team to do it for you stevie. I'm sick of paying my bookie. Lets take these fcks to the cleaners. Time to go on Alittle roll. Today's a big fuckkn day for us. I'm pounding the brewers today. Doubling up. Sending it in. Cheers to that fellas and a happy fuckkn Memorial Day. Lets go.

I wouldn't go crazy.
    edited May 2013
    StevieY wrote: »
    I wouldn't go crazy.

Too late for some of us (and I'm not referring to overbetting Milwaukee today).
    edited May 2013
    Stevie I suggest you double up as well. You need to switch it up
    edited May 2013
    Stevie I suggest you double up as well. You need to switch it up

Hope you didn't. Dead in the water.
    edited May 2013
    Yea I did. Why the games over already ? Gallardo at 50 afte 2
    edited May 2013
    Yea I did. Why the games over already ? Gallardo at 50 afte 2

If the last month has anything to do with it, yes, it is over. We have won 1 game, yes 1 game, we were trailing after the 4th inning(arz a couple days ago). Oh yeah, the Gallardo thing too. :) Mil long relief and their exp ERA of 5+ now comes into play even more.
    edited May 2013
    Today's the day stevie. Be confident. I don't like the way you're thinking. Positive mindset. Keep your head up. Walk tall. You're a winner. Think like one
    edited May 2013
    Today's the day stevie. Be confident. I don't like the way you're thinking. Positive mindset. Keep your head up. Walk tall. You're a winner. Think like one

If I was playing, it would be different. Just getting old seeing none on, 2 out, bottom of the order up, single, triple. Leadoff double for us, ahead in the count and you can't at least move the runner to 3rd? Shit is happening way too much. Not that we would be doing great, but it seriously shouldn't be this bad. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, can't score. Just to torture myself, I went back and looked at about 4 weeks of games. 8 blown saves(won 1 of them), won 1 game we weren't leading after the 4th inning, when leading after 7 innings, we are 5-7, opp has 0 blown saves. Those don't count the 6 run lead we blew(5 runs scored with 2 outs, 4 of them by the #8 hitter and the pitcher), a dropped pop up cost us a chance to keep playing, 3 WP's led to tying or the GW run. BA with runners in scoring position, .205, opp .289. runners in scoring position and 2 out, we have scored 23% of them, opp 41.5%. Base runners are 347 for us, 356 opp so it isn't like we haven't had the same opportunities to score. Like I said, it still wouldn't be great, but sometimes nothing goes right. After all, Texas scored 28 runs against Verlander, Sanchez and Fister, and we played them when they got 1 against Porcello(and we only needed 3).
    edited May 2013
    vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif
    edited May 2013
    And this ones over. Fucking brewers at it again. This teams a disgrace. Enjoy rest of ur day guys
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Only three innings in, let's not jinx things here.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Stevie hang in there brother, still a long season ahead, things will eventually turn. There is something that I was wondering, when you cap a baseball game, do streaks ever enter the equation? For example if you feel like team A is a play, if that team is on an extended losing streak would that take you off of them, or if team B is on a winning streak would that also get you off team A?
    edited May 2013
    BigJoey wrote: »
    Only three innings in, let's not jinx things here.

Unless you're not rooting for Milwaukee like the rest of us, only jinx possible is the ever-popular "reverse jinx." :)
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    StevieY wrote: »
    If I was playing, it would be different. Just getting old seeing none on, 2 out, bottom of the order up, single, triple. Leadoff double for us, ahead in the count and you can't at least move the runner to 3rd? Shit is happening way too much. Not that we would be doing great, but it seriously shouldn't be this bad. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, can't score. Just to torture myself, I went back and looked at about 4 weeks of games. 8 blown saves(won 1 of them), won 1 game we weren't leading after the 4th inning, when leading after 7 innings, we are 5-7, opp has 0 blown saves. Those don't count the 6 run lead we blew(5 runs scored with 2 outs, 4 of them by the #8 hitter and the pitcher), a dropped pop up cost us a chance to keep playing, 3 WP's led to tying or the GW run. BA with runners in scoring position, .205, opp .289. runners in scoring position and 2 out, we have scored 23% of them, opp 41.5%. Base runners are 347 for us, 356 opp so it isn't like we haven't had the same opportunities to score. Like I said, it still wouldn't be great, but sometimes nothing goes right. After all, Texas scored 28 runs against Verlander, Sanchez and Fister, and we played them when they got 1 against Porcello(and we only needed 3).

that certainly puts things in perspective. tides turn tho as Kane said so hopefully your grind continues for us that will continue to follow. Thanks SY.