Betting Talk

Does this sound right

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Sports Betting
I went back as far as 1968 looking at how many No Hitters were pitched in each year. I was looking for years that had 4 or more. This is what I came up with.

went back to 1968

1968 5 No Hitters
1969 6 No Hitters
1970 4 No Hitters
1973 5 No Hitters
1976 4 No Hitters
1990 7 No Hitters
1991 7 No Hitters
2010 6 No Hitters
2012 7 No Hitters
Big space between 1991 and 2010 but more then I thought.

In this town I seen a prop for O/U 4 No hitters -110

At (XXXXXXXX Sports) for 4 or more they give you 4/1 so I had a live chat to confirm.
Unless I was missing something in town this is a huge discrepancy.
Here's the Chat.

[Jackie] Thank you for contacting (XXXXXXX Sports,) how may I help you today?

[XXXXXXX] On your baseball prop of No-Hitters I have a question, It say's 4 or more No Hitters +400 (4/1) so if in this year they pitch 5 No Hitters during the baseball season and I put $100 on the prop I get back $500

[Jackie] Please hold while I check into this, I'll be with you in just a moment

[XXXXXXXX] Thank You

[Jackie] You win $400 and get the $100 from your bet back, this will be the total $500

[XXXXXXXX] thank you

[Jackie] You're welcome! Have a great day!

Let me add this has to be overall one of the worst March Madness tournaments in recent memory for me. Most of These games are so boring. not all but most.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Hit it. When you got guys like PHumber throwing perfectos and lineups like the 'Stros/Fish/Cubs. Hurry before I get it. J/K

The only neg would be the rule change a few years ago on what constitutes a no-no. Shut out and other
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Hit it. When you got guys like PHumber throwing perfectos and lineups like the 'Stros/Fish/Cubs. Hurry before I get it. J/K

The only neg would be the rule change a few years ago on what constitutes a no-no. Shut out and other

What rule change is that 27 outs no hits No Hitter I'm not following
    edited March 2013
    Yes, no abbreviated games i.e. rain shortened. Change rule in the early 90's. I think it must be a shut out also(No too sure about s/o). They were talking about the shut. Dunno if passed?
    edited March 2013
    "Games lost by the visiting team in 8½ innings but without allowing any hits do not qualify as no-hitters, as the visiting team has only pitched eight innings"...Wiki
    edited March 2013
    No shutout necc. I remember the Andy Hawkins(NYY) no-hitter that they took away from him after Leyritz(playing lf of all places) dropped a basesloaded fly ball for an error.
    edited March 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    "Games lost by the visiting team in 8½ innings but without allowing any hits do not qualify as no-hitters, as the visiting team has only pitched eight innings"...Wiki

I have to look into that because that would mean only the road pitcher can pitched a no hitter. Now we know last year home team pitchers pitched a no hitter and was credit with a no hitter and went into the record books as pitching a no hitter. I would thing like any other prop what ever MLB. or Sporting News which ever one they use if it's official with them it's an official no hitter and will go into the record books as such.

I feel like you that there's something I'm missing. I would like to call and ask a clerk straight what's the hook and be honest and tell him out here it was -110 and know after calling a friend it's +135 for 4 or more. It's just weird and also no hitters have been pitched where the pitcher lost the game it happens. I'll say it again it's weird.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I have to look into that because that would mean only the road pitcher can pitched a no hitter.

No OT, that would mean that only the road pitcher could pitch a no hitter that was not a shutout.
    edited March 2013
    Whatever happen to the game is over a team didn't get any hits the opposing pitching gets credit for a no hitter. So your saying a pitcher walks a batter he steals 2nd and 3rd and scores on a Sac fly and that team doesn't get any hits and that's not a no hitter. Funny game baseball they need more winter meetings.
    edited March 2013
    n June 28, Jered Weaver and Jos? Arredondo of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitched a combined eight innings, allowing no hits in a 1–0 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers. This became the fifth time in Major League history, and the first time since 1992, that a team has held its opponent hitless in a losing effort. This was not an official MLB-recognized no-hitter, however, because the rulebook states that a no-hitter occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) holds their opponent hitless over the course of a whole game, which consists of at least nine innings.
  • rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    OT,

I'm curious, what is the average No-hitters per season?
  • rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I have to look into that because that would mean only the road pitcher can pitched a no hitter.

Not quite. It means only the road pitcher can lose an 8 inn no-hitter, which is pretty rare indeed.
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Looks like -ev to me if this years results conform to your data. Your data covers 45 years and exceeds 4, 8 times and one push. Plus you're laying -110 if it falls NO.
    You'd have 8 winners for 3200
    1 push and
    36 losers for -3960.
    edited March 2013
    bumpo wrote: »
    Looks like -ev to me if this years results conform to your data. Your data covers 45 years and exceeds 4, 8 times and one push. Plus you're laying -110 if it falls NO.
    You'd have 8 winners for 3200
    1 push and
    36 losers for -3960.

I took it back to a different era there are guys playing Major League baseball today that couldn't make a roster in the 60's early 70's so lets just talk for now about the last three years There has been 16 no hitters. At one time it seem like when someone pitched a no hitter it was like an honor just to see it now it seems quite often pitchers have No hitters going into 7,8 and 9th innings 16 the 13 that's posted and there was 3 in 2011. There's a lot of bad teams out there and of course to pitch a no hitter you need luck and with the steroid era not like it once was (It's still out there) maybe that has something to do with it.

It's just the wide difference in Odds between here and there that I'm questioning. I just have a feeling the rules to this 4/1 bet that might come out after the fact and I'm not interested in getting involved. I looked for posted rules but there none that I can find anyway.