Betting Talk

Some advice from Bettingtalks smartest guys.

BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Sports Betting
My local has become quite lazy.

He always gives lines on NFL and weeknight College football, but tells me to use the CLOSING LINE on Scoresandodds.com for:

NBA
NCAA BB
Saturday College football ( because I have more than a few plays)

My question is.....What's the VERY BEST WAY to use this to my advantage( if there is one).

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2012
    BigPerm wrote: »
    My local has become quite lazy.

He always gives lines on NFL and weeknight College football, but tells me to use the CLOSING LINE on Scoresandodds.com for:

NBA
    NCAA BB
    Saturday College football ( because I have more than a few plays)

My question is.....What's the VERY BEST WAY to use this to my advantage( if there is one).

That sounds horrible to me. That means that you'll never get any closing line value at all, and quite frankly you don't even know what like you're betting into when you make a bet.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    So you can't bet until after the game starts? Maybe I'm confused, which does happen easily.
  • atreat600atreat600 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I had a local who used this practice yrs ago. In a nutshell it worked out horribly. I tried overthinking it, beating it, etc and it never worked out well...in my case at least.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    You are correct MOSTLY. I usually wait until close to game time so I know what I'm getting, but there are times it's been nice when the line is moving in my favor.

It's tough to plan though
  • StricknineStricknine Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    So you can't bet until after the game starts? Maybe I'm confused, which does happen easily.

I am pretty sure he can bet at any time but the play will be graded by the closing line at scoresandodds on that side.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    You can't use it to your advantage. It only benefits the bookie.

I would find a different bookie
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Stricknine wrote: »
    I am pretty sure he can bet at any time but the play will be graded by the closing line at scoresandodds on that side.

If that's the case, find a new local. Like Tommy said, it's nearly impossible to beat. You're betting into the most efficient market possible, you'll never get CLV, and you don't even know what line you're betting sometimes.
    edited November 2012

I can bet before, but if I put the bet in at 1030am(cbb game), I'm stuck with the line at 12pm( if its a 12pm game )

Like I said. I usually wait til 1145 so I'm pretty sure what I'm getting.

If its moving for me great

Against me and I sometimes lay off
  • Deli314Deli314 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I'de watch that and tread very lightly when it comes to closing line on scores and odds. It doesn't always happen but on occasion it has changed either in the middle of the game or by the end. For example, at tip the Sixers might be -4, but it may move to 4.5 or 3.5 at times when it's all said and done. I've seen it happen a couple of times. I'de try and find another local if I were you
    edited November 2012
    Deli314 wrote: »
    I'de watch that and tread very lightly when it comes to closing line on scores and odds. It doesn't always happen but on occasion it has changed either in the middle of the game or by the end. For example, at tip the Sixers might be -4, but it may move to 4.5 or 3.5 at times when it's all said and done. I've seen it happen a couple of times. I'de try and find another local if I were you

Tough to do in my position. I suppose I could force him to give lines, but its tough since I'm at work alot and have to be "quick " at times.
  • StricknineStricknine Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Let him know that he can simply click on the line at scoresandodds and it will show you the line movement hx with the time of the line moves. That way he can see what line you should have based on the time you place the bet. However, scoresanddodds is notoriously slow with showing line moves on the main page, but the line movement hx screen will actually reflect the real line movement history from whatever book they copy lines from. Basically, one can see say FSU -13 on the page but the line movement hx will show that the line has already moved to -12.5. I know it is a pain to find a new local, but I would def. start looking.
  • peacemakerpeacemaker Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I actually have a similar set-up and it eases record keeping quite a bit with high volume. We just made the agreement that I could lock ewarly lines on high $$ bets and CBB totals. The CLV on the rest has been 50/50.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    helmut wrote: »
    You can't use it to your advantage. It only benefits the bookie.

I would find a different bookie

Agree 100% you lay -2 early in a NBA game because you feel the numbers off and at closing scoresandodds has it -4 your telling me that he's telling you your now laying -4. I never hear of anything like that I would laugh and say if you don't want me to play be a man and tell me. If I'm understanding this right.

Ask him if you can bet the opening number right before game time regardless of what the number is then.. See what he says
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited November 2012
    Perm you are playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber. This is the craziest thing I ever heard. Stop playing on him, I guarantee he will get an online spot for you to play on. Books need action and they don't like losing good customers. Don't play it will drive him crazy.