Betting Talk

NCAAF - Season Thread - Picks

NFLPicksGuyNFLPicksGuy Senior Member
edited September 2012 in Sports Betting
I start my NCAAF capping after week 1.
Usually I would wait to post but just wanted to bring to everyones attention that Vegas is way off on one line. Nebraska -4.5 @ UCLA.
I am already on this for my maximum bet. I watched both of these teams play yesterday and Nebraska is a obviously a tier above UCLA, and playing better than last year. Martinez matured over the offseason and I think Neb is a big 10 sleeper.

Anyway, I started to do some basic statical analysis and after about 5 minutes it became glaringly obvious that based on a few simple methods, one would expect this line to be in the Neb -14 range. Let's don't over think this, the huskers will run away with this one.

NEB -4.5 (it will move)

NFLPicksGuy

Comments

• sparkyl2sparkyl2 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Does Burkhead's status not matter to you at all?
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Huskers have depth at RB so no burkhead of course isn't good but isn't too big of a factor this upcoming week.
  • NFLPicksGuyNFLPicksGuy Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Burkhead will be out for the game, and I don't think it will make a difference. His backups, Abdullah and Heard, are solid. The passing game should be great as well, Martinez going for 350 and 5 tds in week 1. Of course it was Southern Miss, but last season S. Miss had the 30th ranked defense (ypg) and the 54th ranked pass D (pypg) , so they aren't a doormat by any means.
    By comparison, last season UCLA had the 84th ranked Total Defense, 57th pass D. My point is UCLA and S.Miss aren't that dissimilar, and the result should be about the same - 29 point victory.
    edited September 2012
    and the result should be about the same - 29 point victory.

i would be happy with that. GL.
  • mike75mike75 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    I start my NCAAF capping after week 1.
    Usually I would wait to post but just wanted to bring to everyones attention that Vegas is way off on one line. Nebraska -4.5 @ UCLA.
    I am already on this for my maximum bet. I watched both of these teams play yesterday and Nebraska is a obviously a tier above UCLA, and playing better than last year. Martinez matured over the offseason and I think Neb is a big 10 sleeper.

Anyway, I started to do some basic statical analysis and after about 5 minutes it became glaringly obvious that based on a few simple methods, one would expect this line to be in the Neb -14 range. Let's don't over think this, the huskers will run away with this one.

NEB -4.5 (it will move)

NFLPicksGuy

Not trying to sway you from laying your wager down but So. Miss has inferior talent compared to UCLA, the So. Miss team from last season and this season are night and day. UCLA is 5 deep at RB and all those guys would start over anyone Nebraska has on its roster not to mention UCLA has out recruited Nebraska over the past 10 years and most recent having recruiting classes in the top 10 each season. Really I think this is a bad match up for Nebraska due to the fact UCLA is deep at the skill position and at the DL. Jim Mora held back a lot of players such as Fauria who is 6'8 and unstoppable on the field. If you watch the Rice game he came in twice and both times Rice could not do anything to cover him. Nebraska will see a heavy dose of him come Saturday, but ucla showed nothing this past week but a very vanilla offense. I follow the PAC very close and right now that's one I will stay away from but thinking Nebby wins by 29 won't happen they have a lot of talent and are home? Good luck either way..
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    If you think the line is off by 10 (4.5 to 14), I'd suggest that something is probably wrong with your methods.
    edited September 2012
    mike75 wrote: »
    UCLA is 5 deep at RB and all those guys would start over anyone Nebraska has on its roster not to mention UCLA has out recruited Nebraska over the past 10 years and most recent having recruiting classes in the top 10 each season.

LOL. not sure if anything above in bold is the truth but I agree with some of your other points about it being a much closer game than the OP. If UCLA is so damn good then why aren't they favored? I'm guessing you are a bit of a UCLA fan? Was just curious.
    edited September 2012
    Mike75 which resource do you have that claims UCLA's recruiting classes are in the top 10 the last few years? Also I for sure disagree that UCLA has 5 backs that would start over Burkhead, but that's impossible to even know. You seem like a big UCLA fan, it's always good to hear from fans that have good insider info, but help us out with some more clear analysis rather than blanket statements that any fan could make.
    edited September 2012
    Mike75 which resource do you have that claims UCLA's recruiting classes are in the top 10 the last few years? Also I for sure disagree that UCLA has 5 backs that would start over Burkhead, but that's impossible to even know. You seem like a big UCLA fan, it's always good to hear from fans that have good insider info, but help us out with some more clear analysis rather than blanket statements that any fan could make.

Look I follow the pac12, years ago when I joined this forum I would help with any info I could in the past to help others with a bet so they don't just take the brand over facts. In this case as of late the brand (Nebraska) has been better but to discount all the talent UCLA has and being at home should be considered. UCLA has out recruited Nebraska and its a fact, would I wager on this game? No, the line in my opinion is trap to take Nebraska. My post above was never to start an argument but to give you some things to consider like talent and depth which UCLA is loaded with, matter of fact Tom Lugenbill about a week ago picked UCLA to win this game because of the talent they have vs what Nebraska has on its roster. And he's the director of recruiting for ESPN?
    edited September 2012
    Also just an FYI I'm looking at theses games in the PAC

Utah/Utah St

Wisky/Oregon St

Okst/Arizona

I think Utah State and Oregon State can keep it close and it wouldn't surprise me to see Arizona get killed they've lost to much and their talent and depth is lacking.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    No, the line in my opinion is trap to take Nebraska.>>>

Yes it sure is. Plus they covered a double digit spread on national TV last week for the world to see. Give me the DOG :)
    edited September 2012
    Trap games are much more rare than most think:
    There is value here for Nebraska. We got lucky that UCLA scored so many points against Rice in week 1. Last year Rice had the 123rd ranked Defense (86th Rushing). You would expect any team to score a ton, but not how UCLA did. Look at 4 of their scoring plays:
    - 72 yard run, 74 yard run, 78 yard run, 44 yard fumble return.

Plays like that, which inflate the final score, are great for helping the public over value a team, hence great for sharp bettors to be on the other side next week. Because runs like that won't happen against Nebraska, or any other team this year. UCLA was only up by 5 points with 1 minute before half time before the Fumble 6. This is a must bet against UCLA for me, no matter who they were playing. The final score of the Rice game is what gives us the value.
    edited September 2012
    You know now since you mentioned how UCLA scored their points last week, and all those points
    Nebraska scored I think I'll bet UNDER 61 in this game.
    edited September 2012
    underwraps wrote: »

Yes it sure is. Plus they covered a double digit spread on national TV last week for the world to see. Give me the DOG :)

Who do you guys think is trapping you? The entire market?
    edited September 2012
    Who do you guys think is trapping you? The entire market?

Thank you.
    edited September 2012
    the market?? the market is made up of 80% fools if not more.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited September 2012

You're my new favorite poster :clapup:
    edited September 2012

Fools don't set the market.
    edited September 2012
    In the stock market people think they can beat the game by day trading but only 3% are successful on a yearly basis.
    A) No matter how many books they read.
    B) No matter how much math they know or any system their egg shell fragile minds invent to do chart analysis.

In the stock market.... THE BANKERS OWN YOUR SOUL
    In the NFL................. THE LINES MAKER OWNS YOUR SOUL AND BODY
    edited September 2012
    In the stock market.... THE BANKERS OWN YOUR SOUL
    In the NFL................. THE LINES MAKER OWNS YOUR SOUL AND BODY

That was deep man :)...
    edited September 2012
    yeah and I'm only on my first blunt of Cali Kush today :)
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    sparkyl2 - in college, injuries are way overrated. yrs ago, UTenn lost their stud RB late in week 1, after rushing for 200+ yds. week 2 the backup took over (he ended up being drafted by the GB Packers), and he ran for 200+ yds, only to blow out his kneem late in that game. so wek 3, the 3rd stringer - yep, ran for 200+ yds.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Lancer wrote: »
    sparkyl2 - in college, injuries are way overrated. yrs ago, UTenn lost their stud RB late in week 1, after rushing for 200+ yds. week 2 the backup took over (he ended up being drafted by the GB Packers), and he ran for 200+ yds, only to blow out his kneem late in that game. so wek 3, the 3rd stringer - yep, ran for 200+ yds.

Now if they had a significant injury on the OL, that may have been a different story :wonder:
    edited September 2012
    Lancer- I agree. Was just asking if he had accounted for Burkhead being out and what, if any, affect that had on his pick.
    edited September 2012
    Week 2:
    Mich -21.5
    Ark St. - 23
    Nebraska - 5
    Missouri MONEYLINE
    Nevada PK
    Wisc -6.5
    Ariz St. -4.5
    USC -24.5
    Purdue + 14
    UL Monroe
    Aggies UNDER 49.5
    edited September 2012

This^^^^
    edited September 2012
    There's a reason my name is NFLPicksGuy haha.. can't win em all. My "eye" test was fooled by UCLA last week, they looked like a different team tonight. Whoops.
    edited September 2012
    Well if any team always looked the same like the previous week all the books would of been out of business a century ago :)
    edited September 2012
    ain't that the truth.