Betting Talk

Sharing alltime Sports Service Experiences

hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Sports Betting
OK in honor of the legit cappers who are moving lines it got me to thinking about all the Sports Services I have been a part of over the years. I believe I had my first experience in the mid 80's... And there were some classics. I would love to hear from some of you as I am sure you have some great stories as well:

Here we go -

Gary Austin Sports - This guy had his boiler room callers telling you how they had to stop Gary from diving off the top floor of their building after bad weekends and stuff. Just ridiculous.

Colorado Sports Advisors - Bad picks, constant phone calls to badger you for more

Ed the Professor Horowitz - Scammer, losing picks and always trying to get to your credit card.

Mike Warren Sports - Much better picks than the two above but total scammer. Even had the old credit card charged too much at times. I vividly remember his infamous TURKEY TROT 3 TEAM TEASE/PARLAY for Thanksgiving day.

IM Bettor - Honest guy, had one incredible season but the other years were subpar

Linecrusher - Had numerous winning years, when he gets hot he can go off. Claims to have invented the modern handicapping ways, knows Bill Walters etc Dr Bob and acts as though they defer to him. Very hot headed and can go off on the customer at times. Have lost with him as well.

Dave Compton Sports - Honest guy, won far more than he lost.

Dr Bob - Honest and grinds out winning seasons. Been a little down recently but I still trust him.

Right Angle Sports - Winner for me everytime I used him. Honest guy.

Advantage Sports - Has won and lost for me. I believe him to be honest. I think he is better with his totals than his sides.

Easybaseball betting - Has had its moments, but not convinced they are profitable

AAA Sports - Scammer, put him with Mike Warren, and the first few I listed

I have to laugh and when I realize how many services I went through over the years its funny, the memories come flooding back.

There was another guy who had a website, probably late 90's he went by the name of Wizard Weygint, he was GREAT. Only handicapped the Pac-10 games but was really good on it. He just vanished one year, said the pressure of handicapping for others was too much. I do not remember him ever having a losing college football year. Anyone remember him? I am assuming he was west coast guy.

Would love to hear from some of you. I bet we can put together a great list and share some classic stories!

Comments

• CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Never used a service before but had a friend who bought Adam Meyer's picks for a year. He would send me the writeups and they were laughable. The guy always claimed to be winning but my buddy lost all the time. Complete scam.
  • minger2123minger2123 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    The "Score Handicapping Service" was a scam outfit that I think was based in Boston. They would always send out mailers that they were hitting 4 team parlays, which resulted 26, 3 team teasers and so on and so on..They said they had a famous handicapper named Bob Dunbar who would move lines big time. Had various levels of plays. Comical because when you called there, they would say, "He is in the boardroom reviewing the game plan"....Comical..Haven't heard from them in a while. And there mailers were hilarious!
  • NFLPicksGuyNFLPicksGuy Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Uncle Harry Wins - my first ever capping service to purchase, I was in high school and had no idea what I was doing. I would have to call every Saturday to get picks, he would say " why don't you pay more money for my 'best' picks!" and then angrily read me very quickly the list of picks, with no explanation, then hang up.

Wunderdog - super honest, very successful long term, don't think he's ever "gone off" but his approach is more long term low variance. But you certainly have to be willing bet the ugly dogs week in and week out. I remember dreading the weekend, just hoping for the terrible teams to "hang on" can feel like a beating.
    edited August 2012
    I just HAVE to add this.. UncleHarry has a "private club picks" on his website that cost $125,000 dollars. Probably legit and not a scam at all.......
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I just HAVE to add this.. UncleHarry has a "private club picks" on his website that cost $125,000 dollars. Probably legit and not a scam at all.......

Last update on his site is from 2010..... he's been labeled a fraud/scam at many other forums. Are you serious about your statement? April fools day was 4 months ago bro.
  • turksureturksure Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    AAA Sports - Scammer, put him with Mike Warren, and the first few I listed

He one of the honest cappers over at pregame, one of the best copy paste touts there is.
    edited August 2012
    haha not serious at all about UncleHarry being legit. He is laughably bad.
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Love the candidness here.....I am sure there are some great stories that won't be told given the perception of services and the risk of admitting involvement.....as for me, I couldn't give fukk all about cyber-space opinions.....

Years ago I bought a one-time Saturday package from Razor Sports (I think)......won 2 and lost 3....not much of a sample size, but I was SO SURE that I was buying the golden goose and was going to win.....cheap lesson imo

From time to time I would buy single games from Chip Chrimmbes...he always seemed to bet against the public play and seemed to win more than he lost...I bought a week from him over the first round of the NCAA tournament years ago and his picks were so-so....oddly, he e-mailed me a couple times after mediocre days and told me to hang in there and that things would turn around (not a blast e-mail either)....not the best, but overall not a horrible experience....

My first venture into really paying and using a service was Dr. Bob.....for a couple of years (long ago) you could read all of his write ups on a weekly basis and figure out (for the most part) what the sides of his games were...I don't recall much line movement back then and probably wasn't paying much attention to it anyway....I ultimately started buying his stuff on a weekly or semi-weekly basis and had some good success...One year living in AK I was playing with a local and had a great run before moving out of town.....the bookie was pretty cool and told me that I was one of very few that actually ended up ahead with him.....

And then I stumbled on RAS......and for a handful of years, I had found the golden goose.....had some epic years and by this time I was coming into my own with my own handicapping (I swear I read every one of Ed's write-ups that he posted online and it really advanced my handicapping -- the same can be said to some extent for Dr. Bob).....I know there are folks out there that will take one or two isolated episodes and use them to cast Edward as a common, dishonest tout, but that is just nonesense imo.....I have nothing but great things to say about Edwward and the service...I wish I had the time and energy to continue to fight the battle to subscribe and play with Edward....maybe sometime in the future I will get back on the wagon, but for now it just doesn't work with my life schedule......
  • BarneyMillerBarneyMiller Member
    edited August 2012

I'll go halves with you!
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited August 2012

That Coke head Stu Feiner has something similar as well.
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Talking about frauds, what about rudynyc sports... is this clown still around?
  • burgerburger Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I in my early twenties I used a service called "Blazer Sports".
    It was out of the Northwest (Probably Portland area)...

I remember a local guy (texas) telling me that he had used Blazer before and was pretty good.

I decided to give it a shot. You would have to call in and put in a code at set times and you would be able to hear the outgoing message with the plays 1 time only.

I remember this guy did so terrible that year. He had a younger sounding guy that answered his office phone and I called in one time to ask a question and he said "I doubt we have any subscribers next year".

Crazy times.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Gave the Docsports guys a try and they seemed to lose their big plays more often than win. I will say IC is decent on college football however
  • NemaNema Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Mid 80's I got worked by Jeff Allen sports and the old ploy of giving out both sides of the game. I called him and the message to me was"We had late steam and you must have not gotten the message." I went fucking nuts and realized I had been taken only to find out later how corrupt this business was. Started seing all the shows at that time(1986) on cable and saw first hand what happened to me.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I love it. Keep them coming. I had many call-in type experiences as well always telling you they had better plays if you wanted to buy them/pay more. I once had a service call me in college and give me a side on the MNF game because they
    "had late information". It was a message so I called back and told them how I got their message about late information but I told them it was for the other team. What happened??? They went on and on about it, so I finally said to them, "actually I was kidding you told me it was the other team". They had no idea what to say. SCUMBAGS.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I had an experience about 15 years ago. I responded to a newspaper ad in the sun sentinel (fort lauderdale) newspaper. They guys name was John wright from long island. It was the so called " free play" on Monday night football. They wanted 250 bucks for one week of plays, so I tried it. He was also asking how much I play per game....They pretty were 10-10 over 3 weeks of football. Then the guy calls me and sais he wants me to speak to the owner of the company and I should be Part of their high roller program. They wanted more money per week for their wiseguy plays.... He said he was connected to guys NYC . So me being 19 years old, I sent him 500 bucks(dumb move). I used his plays for a week and he went like 3-4 He calls me on Tuesday asking for money.

It was a complete waste of time and a scam. I learned my lesson. He called me a few times and I would say, I will use plays but give me some winners before you ask for more money. He called me a few more times, but then I told him to get lost.
  • BarneyMillerBarneyMiller Member
    edited August 2012
    I split Dr. Bob one year with another guy. He sent Bob's picks to me but so often I couldn't get the line in college fb Bob had released the plays at. We had both college and NFL. The NFL was not good at all.

I think the first service I ever used was ATS Consultants. I think I bought the "Finanicial Package" which lost badly. After the second week, they kept trying to selll me the Lock Club by telling me how great they were doing. I was told I wasn't a man and I didn't want to win money.
  • RiskyRisky Member
    edited August 2012
    having been involved with many services for 30 years brings back many good and not so good memories. Maybe this will be theaputic so here it goes:

- first one I bought was Edmund Slick out of Cherry Hill, NJ in the early 80"s. had a recoreded message i called everyday in college.

- this was the time when USA Today used to have their page of sports service advertisements and we call them until we figured out they were all scammers. I got caught buying Super Scout Sports and used my roommate's credit card, lost over a month and then asked for a refund as they promised which of course didn't happen and rthey actually charged it again and my roomie's dad saw it on his statement and all hell broker loose. i was then branded a gambler in college.

- also used the indiana group of Continetal Sports, AUSF led by Bob Firth and Tommy Goodrich where these guys sent out one page front and back colored flyers in the mail and we would drool over their lock games, etc. and then get them through a concensus service out of alabama with a guy named Bob Sparks. We then moved to Sports Monitor then out of Schaumburg, IL which is Joe Michaels and Greg Allen. They now work out of Vegas.
    We used them for about 10 years with strict amounts based on the service and size of rating, etc.
    - i then used Dr Bob for a few years until using Donn Wagner's group for another handful of years when i stopped cold turkey in 2009.

i play in pools with spread picks and love roto baseball and have had more success in those areas since i quit gambling in 2009. It's pure irony that I've won a NFL pool twice for 2,000 each year and second last year for 1,500. the entry fee is 200. I won my roto baseball league in 2010 and 2011 for 1,800 each year and a placed 3rd last year. Gambling on a daily basis was a passion and love that nearly destroyed me. May luck and extreme discipline be on your side.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Chip Chrimmbes there's a name from the past. He's from my neck of the woods and I remember betting and watching games at the Hilton back in the day when they had the Football Helmet Seats. Just one of the many Fiest flunkies that would give out both sides and talk like he knew what he was talking about. At that time there was a lot sharp guys hanging around the Hilton and the stardust and he was regarded as a joke.

Dave the Hat Cokin he's still around with $10 specials if you lose he will give you the next big game free. I played with RAS College Football and Hoops a long time ago and I played and still play with Sixth Sense (NFL not my game) I don't agree with services except of course for the two that I mentioned really can't think of anyone saying anything nice about any other service. When you subscribe to a service the only thing you should expect is hard work and willingness to put the time in to produce. If winners come great if not as long as your getting an honest effort what more can you ask. JMO of course.

bythehook please change your avatar your killing me. JK Love it
  • topplayertopplayer Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Back in the 80's some friends and myself bought The Professor's Bowl Package.......He only missed one pick the whole bowl season....We thought it was easy.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Chip Chrimmbes there's a name from the past. He's from my neck of the woods and I remember betting and watching games at the Hilton back in the day when they had the Football Helmet Seats. Just one of the many Fiest flunkies that would give out both sides and talk like he knew what he was talking about. At that time there was a lot sharp guys hanging around the Hilton and the stardust and he was regarded as a joke.

Dave the Hat Cokin he's still around with $10 specials if you lose he will give you the next big game free. I played with RAS College Football and Hoops a long time ago and I played and still play with Sixth Sense (NFL not my game) I don't agree with services except of course for the two that I mentioned really can't think of anyone saying anything nice about any other service. When you subscribe to a service the only thing you should expect is hard work and willingness to put the time in to produce. If winners come great if not as long as your getting an honest effort what more can you ask. JMO of course.

bythehook please change your avatar your killing me. JK Love it

OT, agree with the avatar statement!
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    minger2123 wrote: »
    The "Score Handicapping Service" was a scam outfit that I think was based in Boston. They would always send out mailers that they were hitting 4 team parlays, which resulted 26, 3 team teasers and so on and so on..They said they had a famous handicapper named Bob Dunbar who would move lines big time. Had various levels of plays. Comical because when you called there, they would say, "He is in the boardroom reviewing the game plan"....Comical..Haven't heard from them in a while. And there mailers were hilarious!

Haha, I used to get those every week also!! They were classic.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    This is a classic rant: I won't list website or name, I don't want to get in trouble.

I am 56. I have been in business since 1983 and online since 1998.

I will try to explain this to you. I had a multi million dollar sports service in Las Vegas with a legitimate business license and offices in Las Vegas in the 80's until Nevada basically ran most of us out of business in Nevada in the late 80's (you can email me for the license #s and obviously I have the original documents and license #'s to prove this). Myself and others basically got banned (lost our business licenses) more or less like card counters are banned in Nevada because we were winning...

Go try and open a sports service in Nevada where sports betting is legal. Let me know how that goes...

I am a West Coast guy who now lives on the East Coast.

Nevada is dead to me...
    The opening line does not actually originate from Nevada anymore anyway other than Wynn trying to recreate the Stardust line which is where I used to start my day everyday whey back when with the real guns/bookmakers in this business.
    Who cares anyway...

There are only two ways to make money in this business. You either book games or you consistently pick winners on the consumer side. I have done both for almost 30 years.

I specialize in winning weeks and net winning units. If that is what you are looking for, you have found the right guy/the right professional service.
    In business since 1983.
    Online since 1998.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Early 90's bought a score pager from Mike Warren in Baltimore(The Warren Bldg.lol) Great idea in it's infancy with updates every 5 minutes with race results. A couple of NY wiseguys wanted one also. I told them I get them each one for a Xmas present. Sent Warren 3 dimes to cover the year for 3 pagers. After one month they discontinued the service. They insisted on no refunds but would compensate with "inside selections". What happend next I won't discuss, except I ended up getting only a dime back and selections. Gave my pass code to some college kids to use. Coin flip football cbkt results. Scumbag telemarketers.