Betting Talk

Democratic Nominee wins 2012 election

lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Sports Betting
-180 at 5dimes, off the board at Pinny

This bin laden thing is pretty big news

ETA: somehow this isn't considered a "prop" by 5dimes, I didn't have prop limits on this bet

Comments

• lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    I guess you can ignore this post, 5dimes took it OTB, haven't found it anywhere else yet but look at your books/locals. I think this is a great bet.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Back up at Pinny... Dems -190.
  • utixutix Banned
    edited May 2011
    I wonder what % of the population would rather have Osama alive than Obama for 4 more years
  • zhp2m3zhp2m3 Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Obama got Osama...much props to this presidency and the navy seal team. Justice is served. Hopefully, this can help to unite all of us in this country rather than something ignorant like trying to validate a birth certificate..
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited May 2011
    Let's try not to make this a political thread.

The killing of Bin Laden probably increased Obama's chances for re-election, which made democrats at a fair, unadjusted price, potentially a +EV bet.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Remember that GBushI had incredibly high approval ratings after the first Iraq war only to lose the following year.
    edited May 2011
    I don't follow politics at all, I just saw on Twitter that Pinny took the prop OTB and jumped on the 5dimes line. Pinny barely adjusted the price on this, I don't know their limits so not sure what kind of action their taking on this. I'm a little surprised with how little adjustment they made when they opened betting back up. They closed somewhere around -180 and opened back up somewhere right around there(goats saw -190, first I saw was -193) It's at -197 now, I trust their number more than myself but I would think this should be around -300.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited May 2011
    The news gives Obama a nice momentum boost in the short term, but how much affect it will have on the 2012 election remains to be seen. The other negative is having to tie up funds for so long. Still it was an interesting angle to potentially get a line that was unadjusted from the news.
    edited May 2011
    RightAngle wrote: »
    The news gives Obama a nice momentum boost in the short term, but how much affect it will have on the 2012 election remains to be seen. The other negative is having to tie up funds for so long. Still it was an interesting angle to potentially get a line that was unadjusted from the news.

The way 2011 has gone so far, having the funds tied up is probably a good thing for me
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2011
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    The way 2011 has gone so far, having the funds tied up is probably a good thing for me

I had similar thoughts when forced to withdraw my balances from Matchbook and then PokerStars... putting that money in the bank felt like a huge win. :)
  • BigFishBigFish Member
    edited May 2011
    Goats wrote: »
    I had similar thoughts when forced to withdraw my balances from Matchbook and then PokerStars... putting that money in the bank felt like a huge win. :)

Same here.

Locals are a good place to play this angle -- i.e., no tie up of money for long periods of time. Going to check my locals' lines now...
  • BobbyBingoBobbyBingo Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    If it wasn't for George Bush's policy's on the War on Terror and Info they got for detanee's at Gitmo, in which Obama didn't approve but decieded to to keep alive, he would have never got him. I do give him some credit because it was under his watch but George Bush deserves allot of credit too. This will not re-elect Obama. if the economy is still tanking and the gas prices are out of control in 2012, he won't have a chance in hell to be re-elected. Just my opinion.
  • DragonswirlDragonswirl Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    $4.50+ gas, will be much more telling on 2012, IMHO

But, ALL credit for getting the deed done! Thanks to ALL who worked diligently on this task for far too long.
  • Mrtk31Mrtk31 Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Guys, if folks don't have jobs, we're not gonna care about Osama & Obama will be out. If gas is $4.20/gallon & Congress/President don't start to drill; they'll all have a hard time getting another term. Is this fair? Hell, yeah!
  • Mrtk31Mrtk31 Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    How will folks blame Bush for these high gas prices?
    but it's not Obamas fault either.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    BobbyBingo wrote: »
    If it wasn't for George Bush's policy's on the War on Terror and Info they got for detanee's at Gitmo, in which Obama didn't approve but decieded to to keep alive, he would have never got him. I do give him some credit because it was under his watch but George Bush deserves allot of credit too. This will not re-elect Obama. if the economy is still tanking and the gas prices are out of control in 2012, he won't have a chance in hell to be re-elected. Just my opinion.

Bush deserves alot of credit......if he didnt ignore that intelligence in September '01, this never happens.....
    edited May 2011
    Not sure of what intelligence he ignored thats a new one on me. If Bill Clinton would have taken Bin Laden out when he had numeous chances, we would be haven this discussion either.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    'Bin Laden determined to Attack IN the United States" was the title of a daily briefing memo from the CIA in August 2001......
    edited May 2011
    Not sure of what intelligence he ignored thats a new one on me.

You better do some research on that one. Doesn't everyone know that by now? I guess if you get your news from only one biased source.
    edited May 2011
    Still blaming Bush for everything is a joke. Bush is not our President anymore last time I looked. Everytime something goes wrong with the current administration its always blame Bush. I do give empty suit credit for pulling the trigger to get bin laden but he never would have been in that position if it wasn't for Cheney's and Bush's policy's on the War on Terror that he totally disagreed with including closing gitmo were we got the info from waterboarding kalid shake mohhamad about the courier that lead them to bin laden.
    edited May 2011
    Still blaming Bush for everything is a joke. Bush is not our President anymore last time I looked. Everytime something goes wrong with the current administration its always blame Bush. I do give empty suit credit for pulling the trigger to get bin laden but he never would have been in that position if it wasn't for Cheney's and Bush's policy's on the War on Terror that he totally disagreed with including closing gitmo were we got the info from waterboarding kalid shake mohhamad about the courier that lead them to bin laden.

They are both empty suits. Get with the program.

We didn't get the info from waterboarding by the way. You better look that one up again.
    edited May 2011
    You can believe what you want and I can believe what I want. Lets just leave it at that.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    This is the problem with politics today. We did something great and people have to try and get attention for their party. We need to be UNITED not worried about republican or democrat etc.
  • SullymanSullyman Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    If we can limit the supply of oil in the US by not allowing drilling anywhere here we can drive the price of oil up to levels the country has never seen. That will make green energy sources a more viable option. Right now they are too cost prohibitive. Obama can save the world with high oil prices. This will outweigh any temporary pop that Usama been Gotten's death will have on the election. Every level headed person wants to save the world by paying $10.00 for a gallon of gas. Cost is no object.

In summary, I would be very surprised if Obama is called on to serve two terms. That's the way I'm betting.
    edited February 2012
    currently -212 at pinny, VALUE!!! I'll completely ignore that this moved all the way to Dems +100 and has now spiked back
    edited November 2012
    Easy winner!
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Easy winner!

Why does the proverbial cliche seem to pop up here.....be careful what you wish for, I'm afraid, very afraid...from a personal standpoint I could be selfish and say well his tenure has allowed me to make very decent coin in the mortgage business and as an investor in real estate, but from an overall standpoint I fear for the future generations as (prepare for the other proverbial cliche) the can continues to get kicked down the road as no administration is willing to take the pain and medicine necessary to right the ship. JMO of course but the probability of this country having to do a chapter 11 has risen greatly. Have never been a fan of the yellow metal but two investments - Smith & Wesson and GLD seem to be attractive at this point. Things have been so f'ckd up, people getting divorced so they can buy a home, people having to hold off getting married so they could buy a home, insurance companies telling you if you didn't have insurance, medications would be available for free rather than your co-pay, etc. Ignorance is bliss, the masses have been ignorant for the last 16 yrs., it's very sad....having said all that, looking forward to my Rebs exhibition game tonight :)
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited November 2012
    Reb, I always am amazed when we people discuss politics and who to blame for current economies.
    I will spare you my detail political thoughts but will tell you this.
    The two Bush's buried me to almost financial death, I have thrived to unbelievable heights with Clinton, and now even with Obama have crawled back to a comfortable position. After he had to work through a world economic failure that even God could not have fixed in 4 years. I am also partially in real estate and hotel industry.

Just my thoughts man, not trying to start an up roar.
  • StricknineStricknine Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    So Barney frAnk and the democratic notion that everyone should be homeowners did not create the real estate bubble? Add in the fact that Fannie and Freddie would buy sub prime mortgages without income verification. Everyone wants to blame the president for the country's problems. I think you have to look deeper.