Betting Talk

Question for you RAS-

DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
edited January 2010 in Sports Betting
I was just curious to get your take on people posting services plays.....

I know BT no longer has a service thread, but how do you think the internet sharing of services picks has done to your business? You can pretty much go to any number of forums to find a handicapping service you like and get there plays for free... I wanted to get an insiders point of view on this topic. Can you see the industry ever changing to help out sports handicappers?

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited January 2010
    Duckgawd, haven't seen you post here since 2008? Where have you been?

It is a dificult question to answer. RAS has continued to do very well, but I don't think that is the norm. The sports service industry in general is in a major down swing and I don't think anything will ever change to help out sports handicappers. There is too much negative sentiment against us, most of it for good reason. My advice to anyone thinking of starting a service would be to instead either bet their own money or find a backer to help build their bankroll up. This way you can make as much or more money with much less headache. That is IF they really do win (a big if, because most do not), and if they aren't sure if they can win or not, then they shouldn't be starting a service to begin with.

The one good thing RAS has working for it is that since we have such a big following, the lines on our games tend to move very quickly as they are released. Thus, by the time they get posted on any forum, there is usually significant line value lost. With this being the case, unless someone is a very small bettor, they are actually losing money by not subscribing rather than saving by waiting to find plays on forums. There are also accuracy and reliability issues. I have seen many cases where picks labeled as RAS were inaccurate or incomplete.

The bottom line is that if you are a small and/or recreational player ($25-$50 a game), it might make sense to look for as much free information as possible, but anyone doing this seriously is much better off paying the fee and getting the plays directly from the source in a timely and reliable manner.

Edward
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Its been awhile since I have actually posted, Have been in and out always checking in on the fine folks both here and over at horseracingtalk.... Been busy, started a career in the Financial Services over a year ago, and its a work load!

I just wanted to get an insiders view on the issue... I know there are 1,000 of services out there and it has to be tough to get money if you can just get the plays for free on the internet. My thinking was the long term effects of "free" info would cost good handicappers to shut down because they arent getting the revenue they were used to. I think the last paragraph sums up the situation exactly. The small gamblers can afford to get late lines.... but if you are putting up the bigger money you would want to know early.

Thanks....
  • topplayertopplayer Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Perfect answer Edward. Most services dont move the lines and getting the picks for free doesnt hurt you. RAS if you are playing those picks you should buy the service.