Betting Talk

Should the Service Play Thread be kept?

RightAngleRightAngle Admin
edited April 2009 in Sports Betting
The Classic view will be kept, on to next topic of discussion...

Should the Service Play Thread be kept?

Owning a service myself, I have always had reservations about allowing service plays to be posted here, but since it is such common practice at most sports betting forums and it is so popular among readers, I have kept it up.

But does the Service thread really help anyone win?

I would estimate that no more than 2 to 5% of all services are profitable over the long term (3 or more years, 1000 or more plays). Even when you take a look at those few services who do win, in most cases (RAS or Dr Bob are good examples) their success has generated a big enough following to quickly move lines when their plays are released, so by the time a play gets posted on a forum its value is significantly diminished.

Lately it seems that more and more services are being posted that no one has ever heard of. A service goes on a big losing streak, changes their name, and comes back the next week under a new name. Eventually they or someone else goes on a 17-5 run and are hyped as the next coming.

I would prefer a forum where users who post original handicapping content are coveted more than users who post Root's Millionaire Game of The Week, etc.

Please post all comments and thoughts in this thread.

Thanks,

Edward

Comments

• DaJuiceDaJuice Banned
    edited April 2009
    i know im a new member, but i would chose to follow ITCH /AAA /YOU someone else- cuz like you said there no one till they streak and then they hyped like crazy..theres way to many "service plays" and i have just start noticing because i never paid attention..i think the thread is useless. may start a one a day thread with service plays that are long respectes and just close thread so peep who care can view it......
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Though I often ignore those entries in the service thread that just include a pick, I enjoy reading the writeups of those that give one. Sometimes I'll pick up an opinion or trend on a game that I hadn't before noticed or considered, and it'll help reinforce my opinion on a game or steer me away from it.
  • jrphatsjrphats Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I am still considered new on this site but I do like to view the picks posted on site to give me more information and more opinions on games. I dont necessarily follow any services and play strictly those plays but do like all the diferent opnions and selections for informational purposes only. I would prefer that you keep the thread. Thanks for all the information posted at this site. Like you stated very few services provide picks for players profit, its all about the services profit but it does keep things interesting.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Misleading information in that thread.. I think as many new members as you get on the site they thinkm just because these guys are "professionals" then they are better than the civilan handicapper. I think it deters from the site and the info available on the board. It will draw in people and if that is your ultimate goal then keep it.
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I like the service thread a lot Edward, I almost never actually play a pick from one of the plays in the service thread, but its good to read them in the morning, gives me another perspective on games. I do think I am more successful doing my own handicapping than following anything from the service thread, but I love having the information available to me. It depends how well the site is going along, from a business/hits standpoint I think the service thread draws tons of users and unique hits to the site daily.
  • AAASportsAAASports Banned
    edited April 2009
    Root has been very good on His Millionaire Game of the Week.
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Brandon Lang picks in the service thread also gives a lot of people the opportunity to fade him properly
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2009
    From an interest/traffic/page views stand point there is no question keeping the service thread is the right thing to do, but I am not looking to attract more hits by having a thread that is mostly full of trash.

I do agree that occassionally some useful information can be found in some of the write-ups, but I wonder how many people really put this to good use. Other than this and the entertainment value of seeing who is on what, I don't know if the pros of keeping it outweigh the cons.

No surprise that most people are voting to keep it though.

Edward
  • tardevil477tardevil477 Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I for one like to look at it. I don't play most of the plays but use it in terms of fading certain plays. As for the records of those services i agree that most of them are fly by night operations and only one sustained losing streak away from changing their name but for whatever reason most people still follow them and that helps those of us trying to make "real"money at this.
  • NEJimNEJim Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Like everyone.. one of them can get HOT.. and looking at who they are on may help make you take a play JMO NEJIM
  • vseadervseader Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I like the thread as there are certain handicappers I really respect....Special K....Don Wagner..
    etc......and if I happen to get their game of the year on the thread I will play them.....but the
    problem being most handicappers are not in their league (but RAS and Ed are).....You check
    the sports monitor and I think you will see the same creditable handicappers each and every
    year....But like they say .its not a sprint but rather a marathon....Too bad we cant seperate the good
    from the bad and the honest from the dishonest scammers.....This is one great site.....GL
  • ideliver416ideliver416 Member
    edited April 2009
    edward although i try to get on your site every day i am mostly a lurker instead of a participant. i agree with the others that i like to read the writeups from the service plays and since your site is the only one i go on it sometimes helps. i do try to follow all the top guys here aaa, horn , yourself jockitch etc. thanks for all you do provide to us whatever you decide.
  • choons81choons81 Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I like the service play thread......I say keep it, as long as RUDY's plays aren't posted in there.......

GL
  • hot2handlehot2handle Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Please keep it...I reference the posts daily. It is another valuable piece of info for us to leverage when deciding what to play. ***Please keep it!
  • FBEyeFBEye Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I liken the service thread to the Freedom of Information Act.....post it and let the masses separate the wheat from the chafe. Certain cappers have solid info, while the clowns can provide good fade material. While you say that traffic is not a reason to keep the forum, it is gravy on the public biscuit.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    ED:
    The only reason I look at the service thread is to find a consensus of the same selection- so I fade the results.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Dump it.

but does it make sense for you to do so from a business stand point? I only worry that dumping that thread lowers traffic and hits significantly. would that have an adverse affect on site sponsors? please don't do anything that would jeopardize BT's viability. less banners and ads equals less revenue equals added pressure on your bottom line. although i have no idea how much it actually costs to run such a forum or site. how many people join strictly for the service play thread?

can't remeber the last time i even looked in the service play thread.

additionally, i would prefer people come here to learn and work hard or at least just accept the hard work of others and not bash people. seems like the longer guys stick around, the less attacks they launch, but that just may be me.

finally, it is your site. you have to balance what is best for your business (hits and traffic?) and what is best for your forum members. as Horn said, lots of dangerous stuff in their for folks that are either new to gambling or touts, or both.

kudos for seeking input. extra kudos for airing your hesitiations because you run a service yourself, a conscience is an impossible thing to buy.
  • franfran Member
    edited April 2009
    Keep it.
    I follow and track it every day and it helps me to select winners.
  • drnoxdrnox Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Edward, I appreciate you taking an interest in protecting visitors to the site, but I don't think removing a service thread is going to change anything.

I rarely check the service thread, but I do check it once in awhile. I like that I can skim through it really quickly and not waste a lot of time at a service play thread. Something will catch my eye from time to time.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken. :)
  • creamcream Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Edward: Please keep it. I agree with your analysis on the service play thread especially with respect to newcomers getting misled...., however, when used to your advantage, the information in there may be put to good use...... I check it daily for the write ups to make sure I'm not missing anything.....

As everyone going to school or working full time will agree, time is at a premium, we just can't manufacture enough of it. Thus, I am sure everyone will attest that getting a plethora of information in one place from various sources saves us time (and hopefully money) and allows us to make fully informed decisions.

Perhaps you can make a disclosure at the top of the thread warning new comers to be aware of the tout industry.......

My vote is to please keep it.
  • drnoxdrnox Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Sorry guys, I was drinking a bit last night. I wasn't as coherent as I should have been....

Anyway, it's better people check out the service plays forum than support loser fraudsters.
  • orourket5orourket5 Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    really makes no difference, the service plays are posted all over the place. might get rid of some of the newbies that seem to cause problems with the old dogs.....i often wondered about the ethics of someone who has a service posting everyone elses service plays, but whatever
  • Chopper17Chopper17 Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    Please keep it... I do use it regularly for the write-ups. Thank you
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone. Due to the overwhelming support we will keep it for now.

Edward
  • AAASportsAAASports Banned
    edited April 2009
    Good Decision Ed....I mainly want it for those Wayne Root Millionaire Game of the Weeks...