Betting Talk

Definition of "trap"

WinoWino Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Sports Betting
Let's see....everyone and their brother, including many svs., was on Atl/Minn under 196. I get it at 195 and bet it large. I see it go to 194 and I feel good. Right before tip off I see "sharps"
(or whatever you call them) dumping a lot of money on the over and up it goes to 196.

Did I fall in to a so called "trap"?

Comments

• scott_baioscott_baio Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I've been in the same boat - who knows. I know in football on thursday night for example once espn starts filming from the stadium and it's raining i've seen the line drop significantly all of a sudden. Also an announcer might mention something, or like you aid a group might be jumping on it last minute. WHo knows? That's why you have to feel good and have faith in your number.

gl wino.
  • jackson21jackson21 Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    There are no traps till after the game has transpired. If the outcome woud have been favorable (you

win the bet) you forget about it. Its really a well known fact that the guys who set the lines try to get

action on both sides of the game so they profit from the juice. No one sits around saying "How can

we trap people into betting one side or the other..........."....With the thousands of games over the

course of the year Vegas profits.....
  • sweetssweets Member
    edited March 2009
    jackson21 wrote:
    There are no traps till after the game has transpired. If the outcome woud have been favorable (you

win the bet) you forget about it. Its really a well known fact that the guys who set the lines try to get

action on both sides of the game so they profit from the juice. No one sits around saying "How can

we trap people into betting one side or the other..........."....With the thousands of games over the

course of the year Vegas profits.....

I agree 100%
  • BookiefitsBookiefits Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I wholeheartedly disagree!
  • IHMWFIHMWF Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I agree 100%
  • edwardnedwardn Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    The House is in Control, The public and cappers wrong !

Minnesota is a bad team and Atlanta is playing good right now!
  • KeyElementKeyElement Banned
    edited March 2009
    Trap is b.s. I had the wrong side, but for all the right reasons. Believe it or not (and conspiracy theorists won't) what happened is quite simple. The under was in fine shape up until the half, but Atlanta built such a huge lead, over 20 points at times, that they had did not have the defensive intensity they flattened Minnesota with in the first half. No conspiracy, no trap, they relaxed and let go of the defense. If Atlanta had never led by more than 5 in the first half, that very same game goes UNDER, bank it.
    edited March 2009
    By the way, conspiracy guys, although Atlanta led by 20 or more at times and could name the score, they relaxed so much that Minnesota backers were dancing the night away over a PUSH on the pointspread, so how did "Vegas" or "the house" arange that little anti-trap?
    edited March 2009
    Another error in this thread is that "sharps" hit the over late and pushed it up. Highly UNLIKELY. The public loves overs and doesn't bet until they get home from work. It is more probable east coast amateurs hit it after work and that was what pushed it up. Congrats to the public who doesn't always lose or they would have to quit.
  • StricknineStricknine Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Bookiefits wrote:
    I wholeheartedly disagree!

Yo tambien. The fact that Vegas wants to get even action on both sides is a myth.