Betting Talk

So maybe Tom Brady isn't that good?

ProduceProduce Banned
edited December 2008 in Sports Betting
If you didn't know that was Cassell throwing out there and didn't know the back story, would you really think Brady was that much better than Cassell?

400+ yards in back to back games and playing well in general.

I hate big Bill, but he's the only reason they dominate

Comments

• ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    The system is the system....

I hate to say that anyone could succeed in it....but we're talking about a guy you didnt start a single game in college.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited November 2008
    Brady was no stud in College either....
  • m0neysh0tm0neysh0t Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    Brady proved he could win with shitty receivers. Cassell hasn't proved that yet.

With that being said, Cassell has played beyond expectations.
  • jackson21jackson21 Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    Yeah - - - Maybe Notre Dame should'a hired Bill instead of Charlie........
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited November 2008
    jackson21 wrote:
    Yeah - - - Maybe Notre Dame should'a hired Bill instead of Charlie........

Maybe Notre Dame should've hired me instead of Charlie....
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    Good point MoneyShot...

I agree...
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    Produce wrote:
    If you didn't know that was Cassell throwing out there and didn't know the back story, would you really think Brady was that much better than Cassell?

looks like someone forgot to tell Vegas

a 1.5 pt home fav (already a pick) and a total of 40 (i am going to hammer the over, which for me is like $100)

i know he was good against the 26th and 28th passing D's in the NFL, but here comes the number 1 pass D, but with a depleted secondary. really don't get the total in this game. saw it bet down to 39.5 somewhere. Beligirl has proven he will let Cassel throw 50 times a game and he will have to in order to move the ball against Steelers. don't get this total at all. gonna write it up soon, hope weather holds and give out a 300,000 star, GOY, lead-pipe , 100 unit, i win or you don't pay lock
    edited November 2008
    3 for 7, 46 yards

delay of game penalty just now

D'OH
    edited December 2008
    <TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>C/ATT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>INT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>M. Cassel</TD><TD>19/39</TD><TD>169</TD><TD>4.3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg4 align=left><TD>Gamed</TD><TD>Opp</TD><TD>Result</TD><TD></TD><TD>Att</TD><TD>Comp</TD><TD>Pct</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>Int</TD><TD>Rate</TD><TD>Sac</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Att</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>Fum</TD><TD>Rec</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg3 id=game vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>11/30</TD><TD align=left>PIT</TD><TD align=left>L 10-33</TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left>39</TD><TD align=left>19</TD><TD align=left>48.7</TD><TD align=left>169</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>39.4</TD><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=left>24</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>0.5</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>0</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • Flaggy03Flaggy03 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    So the guy has one terrible game against the best defense in the league in an absolute monsoon and now he's garbage??

You guys are unreal....
    edited December 2008
    Flaggy03 wrote:
    So the guy has one terrible game against the best defense in the league in an absolute monsoon and now he's garbage??

You guys are unreal....

just seemed like everyone forgot to mention that his two "great" games were against the number 26 and 28 pass defenses in the league.

didn't both guys play in the monsoon?

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg3 id=game vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>11/30</TD><TD align=left>@NE<;/TD><TD align=left>W 33-10</TD><TD align=left>Yes</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>17</TD><TD align=left>51.5</TD><TD align=left>179</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>75.2</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>7
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Which guy was it again that has the Hall of Famer at wideout and pretty much the same offense that scored nearly 50 a game last year?

i admit that while Washginton, Holmes, Parker and Miller all dropped passes, in Cassel's defense,

so did Clark, Taylor and Polamalu

and you are looking at it the wrong way, i am defending Tom Brady here.....much better than Cassel

He reads the defense better

goes through progressions fasters

and most importantly

gets the ball out quicker. no way Brady would have been sacked 5 times, no matter how bad Harrison was beating Light.
    edited December 2008
    gets the ball out quicker. no way Brady would have been sacked 5 times, no matter how bad Harrison was beating Light.

Brady got sacked 21 times last season

Cassel is at 40 already

that one or two extra seconds it takes for him to read and react is an eternity with the speed of the NFL
    edited December 2008
    Everyone knows that Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Matt Cassel. If anyone would said Cassel is better, they'd be an idiot. Big Ben played a great game, lots of drops and falls on both sides...as expected with the weather. Cassel has only started 12 career games mind you....and he's never going to be Tom Brady. He's an interesting stat....

Matt Cassel is on pace to throw for 3,712 yards this season....the NFL record for a rookie is held by Peyton Manning in 1998 at 3,739 yards...now Cassel might not be a rookie by league standards, but nonetheless....throwing for almost 4,000 yards in your first season as a starter will get you a big fat contract with another team. I would take Cassel as my starting QB, if I didnt have Brady, Manning, Manning, Cutler, Big Ben, Ryan, Rivers or Romo. He's gonna be one of the Top 10 QB's in the league in 2 years....becuase NE is smart and will franchise him next year.
  • buck4493buck4493 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Produce wrote:

yeah Cassell is just as good. What an idiotic comparison. 3 superbowls, and undefeated season, versus a backup who is 7-5 and cant beat good teams
    edited December 2008
    Gus Frerotte is leading his team as good as Matt Cassell, actually better
    edited December 2008
    just seemed like everyone forgot to mention that his two "great" games were against the number 26 and 28 pass defenses in the league.

didn't both guys play in the monsoon?

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg3 id=game vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>11/30</TD><TD align=left>@NE<;/TD><TD align=left>W 33-10</TD><TD align=left>Yes</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>17</TD><TD align=left>51.5</TD><TD align=left>179</TD><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>75.2</TD><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>7

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Which guy was it again that has the Hall of Famer at wideout and pretty much the same offense that scored nearly 50 a game last year?

i admit that while Washginton, Holmes, Parker and Miller all dropped passes, in Cassel's defense,

so did Clark, Taylor and Polamalu

and you are looking at it the wrong way, i am defending Tom Brady here.....much better than Cassel

He reads the defense better

goes through progressions fasters

and most importantly

Just wait and see what dumbass team gives him a monster contract. The guy is doing fine for never starting, but to even put him in any sort of Tom Brady context is about as bad as putting Dominic Rhodes in the same category as Edgerrin james because he came in and ran for 1100 yds. just dumb
    edited December 2008
    Flaggy03 wrote:
    Everyone knows that Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Matt Cassel. If anyone would said Cassel is better, they'd be an idiot. Big Ben played a great game, lots of drops and falls on both sides...as expected with the weather. Cassel has only started 12 career games mind you....and he's never going to be Tom Brady. He's an interesting stat....

Matt Cassel is on pace to throw for 3,712 yards this season....the NFL record for a rookie is held by Peyton Manning in 1998 at 3,739 yards...now Cassel might not be a rookie by league standards, but nonetheless....throwing for almost 4,000 yards in your first season as a starter will get you a big fat contract with another team. I would take Cassel as my starting QB, if I didnt have Brady, Manning, Manning, Cutler, Big Ben, Ryan, Rivers or Romo. He's gonna be one of the Top 10 QB's in the league in 2 years....becuase NE is smart and will franchise him next year.

so you think it would be smart to pay a guy on your bench 15 million bucks??
    edited December 2008
    13 td's 10 picks?? 15 million, absolutley not
    edited December 2008
    Flaggy03 wrote:

You guys are unreal....

flaggy he is doing good, but the comparison to brady is fing retarded. this guy threw 4 picks versus 2 td's against STL and SF, Brady would have had about 10 td's and maybe a tipped INT.

Brady is one of the best ever, Cassell is a back up qb.
    edited December 2008
    I doubt the Patriots are going to let him into the open market at the end of the season without getting something in return. I dont agree with paying him 15 mil just to get something in return...but a lot of the "experts" seem to think that's the plan. Plus it gives the Pats a little insurance just in case Brady isnt ready. It's a risk that might have to be taken...
    edited December 2008
    Flaggy03 wrote:
    I doubt the Patriots are going to let him into the open market at the end of the season without getting something in return. I dont agree with paying him 15 mil just to get something in return...but a lot of the "experts" seem to think that's the plan. Plus it gives the Pats a little insurance just in case Brady isnt ready. It's a risk that might have to be taken...

Its a good plan, and your right some dumbass team will give the pats a nice pick for him. It will be a mistake. How much better can he do on a team not nearly as talented as the Pats. Think about it this team was unbeaten, hes the only thing different. I dont expect him to go unbeaten, but if hes this good he shouldnt be looking up at playoff teams
    edited December 2008
    Not everything is the same...the running game has taken a HUGE hit this year with Maroney on IR and Morris/Jordan all sorts of banged up. Teams have refused to let Moss beat them, and have double and triple teamed him all season (besides Miami, idiots). Also different from last year is the competition just within the division.

Jets get Favre and upgrade the defense, now a legitamate playoff team

Buffalo is still decent...not a playoff team as Edwards as struggled at times

Miami has renewed life with Pennington playing well and Wiliams/Brown healthy. This is a TOTALLY different division than last year...you put these better Dolphins and Jets teams in the division last year....makes the road A LOT tougher to 16-0.

Baltimore has improved, Indy is still strong, Pittsburgh is a beast, Tennessee has been surprisingly good this season, Denver is either GREAT or TERRIBLE. So a lot of teams in the AFC have made improvements over last season and are playing much better football. I think everyone's views became skewed as the Pats were putting up 40+ every game and we forgot that it's not going to be that easy every year. Brady or no Brady, the Patriots season would feel like a letdown if they went 13-3.
    edited December 2008
    buck4493 wrote:
    Just wait and see what dumbass team gives him a monster contract. The guy is doing fine for never starting, but to even put him in any sort of Tom Brady context is about as bad as putting Dominic Rhodes in the same category as Edgerrin james because he came in and ran for 1100 yds. just dumb

glad we agree on something....

i couldn't turn on my TV after that Dolphins game without hearing about Cassel setting a record, better than any back-to-back Brady games, how deep can they go in the playoffs....holy shit, the guy played 2 really good games against two really bad teams...just likei couldn't turn on any channel without hearing people claim Jets were the best team in the AFC...say what?

on a side note, i watched Moss' big day against Fins, and if i am not mistaken, Cassel looked for Randy from the time he took the snap until the time he let the ball go....that shit may work against the 28th ranked pass D in the NFL, but not playoff teams that have top 10 defenses....

he is an average QB at best and the team that is stupid enough to pay this guy anything approaching $10 million will ruin their organization for years to come....write it down.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    glad we agree on something....

i couldn't turn on my TV after that Dolphins game without hearing about Cassel setting a record, better than any back-to-back Brady games, how deep can they go in the playoffs....holy shit, the guy played 2 really good games against two really bad teams...just likei couldn't turn on any channel without hearing people claim Jets were the best team in the AFC...say what?

on a side note, i watched Moss' big day against Fins, and if i am not mistaken, Cassel looked for Randy from the time he took the snap until the time he let the ball go....that shit may work against the 28th ranked pass D in the NFL, but not playoff teams that have top 10 defenses....

he is an average QB at best and the team that is stupid enough to pay this guy anything approaching $10 million will ruin their organization for years to come....write it down.

So you mean he is going to be a Lion?
    edited December 2008
    HowardBeal wrote:
    So you mean he is going to be a Lion?

HAHAHAHAHA

:clap:
  • BradyBrady Banned
    edited December 2008
    The biggest difference after watching all the games?
    nobody reads defenese like Brady and Manning and can audible the way they can.

that is the biggest difference between them and the league. Cassell takes a beating cause he cant change or is afraid to change the play. Once he gets better at that, this kid is going to be good.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited December 2008
    Brady wrote:
    . Cassell takes a beating cause he cant change or is afraid to change the play. Once he gets better at that, this kid is going to be good.

I agree
  • oldackoldack Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Cassell has played well and above expectations, but saying maybe Brady isn't that good is ridiculous, and I hate the Patriots. The Pats would be at least 10-2 right now with Brady at quarterback. Cassell will be a nice middle of the road starter for the next few years most likely, but even mentioning him in the same breath as Brady is ridiculous.
    edited December 2008
    next year will be cassels 5th year, im not sure how he is a rookie.

Matt Ryan is the only rookie that can beat mannings record this year
    edited December 2008
    If you re-read my post...i said Cassel is NOT A ROOKIE by NFL standards...but I was just making a point that Cassel is on pace to throw for over 3,700 yards when thats what Manning did in his first year of action (which he was a TRUE rookie).

In MLB, you're a rookie when you see your first action. It was to make a point....READ