Betting Talk

Math Question, I would appreciate opinions

ProduceProduce Banned
edited September 2008 in Sports Betting
If I put the numbers 1-20 into a hat and told you I was going to draw out a single number and I would give you odds on that number being exactly 3.

The odds on that number NOT being 3 are -1800

Would you take this bet? If yes, would you take it more than once? If no, why not?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure you all know where I'm going with this

Comments

• GooseSTLGooseSTL Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Produce wrote:
    If I put the numbers 1-20 into a hat and told you I was going to draw out a single number and I would give you odds on that number being exactly 3.

The odds on that number NOT being 3 are -1800

Would you take this bet? If yes, would you take it more than once? If no, why not?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure you all know where I'm going with this

First of all, I don't think it was a bad bet you made. I really doubt Den was going to lose being up 17-0 at half.

I wouldn't take the bet because if that guy Chris Angel was picking the number, I guarantee you he'd pick that fuking three out of the hat, LOL!!!!
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    Goose, I'm not directing this at you and I do appologize again for getting upset in the earlier post. I just honestly don't feel most people understand the math that goes along with gambling
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    where are all the people that said my bet from last night was stupid....
  • njmikenjmike Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    didnt say it was stupid, i dont care what anyone plays i just said i wouldnt do it in the other post
    i played the phillies tonight so cant say anything about anyone lol
  • spankiispankii Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    l don't know what people said to you last night, it is not there place to judge you or anyone. lt is your money to do with as you please. lt was a good bet, but one that l would not take as the risk was not worth the gain in my eyes. l at time have had terrible luck. l could walk into a whore house with a fist full of 50's and not get lucky.lol
  • triple htriple h Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Produce, do not quote me on this. I remember when SF played SD in the Superbowl. Some guy from texas layed something like 1.5 million to win 300,00 on the moneyline. He layed in on SF. I think SF was favored by -17 that game or something. In the article he said it was one of his greatest investments he has every made. He stated making that return on your money in such a short period of time (4hrs or so) was a great investment for him. He was a big wig from Texas or something. I do not remember all the details because this happened in the 90"s. I know Steve Young was quarterbacking for SF and they slaughtered SD in the Superbowl.

To make money you need to have the money to risk. You won and it was a good bet. Some people have a philosophy of not laying those heavy odds. My opinion,"to each their own"

Good Job my friend.
  • MikeNyceMikeNyce Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    I use to go to the track with a guy 3 times my age and he always said to me, "Bet a little to win alot." "Its a marathon and not a sprint"
  • xjcxxjcx Member
    edited September 2008
    sorry for just butting in.. but ive been reading posts for the past couple days...heres my take

i think the bet would be stupid if you lost.... it would've been a lot different if you were betting on tennis where a player was favored over -1500. i think it was last year when sharapova lost when i think she was -2000. and it's not like this game just started. you saw how both teams were playing on both sides of the ball for a half.

everyone has different methods of betting. its your money so u should be able to do what you want with it.
  • GooseSTLGooseSTL Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Produce wrote:
    Goose, I'm not directing this at you and I do appologize again for getting upset in the earlier post. I just honestly don't feel most people understand the math that goes along with gambling

I know it wasn't directed at me. I'm not sure quite how to figure out the odds on that.

I play this card game called in-between. It's a match pot game. You throw two cards up and bet a certain amount of the pot based on if the next card is "in-between" the other two. If the card hits the same as one that is thrown, then you you have to pay double to the pot. I see so many people that see Q-2 or J-2 that bet pot and dont realize how shitty the odds are. On a Q-2, there are 16/52 cards that will you.

And in Hold 'em, I can figure out odds of cards that would beat me or cards that I could win with. Just don't know about this one.
  • briansbrians Banned
    edited September 2008
    If it lost it was a bad bet if u wanna lay the juice and think its the right bet all power to you

But we are not pulling numbers otta hats We are playing the NFL and i have seen many many times a team look completely different from 1st half to 2nd half

sooner or later this bet will cost you and i will bet on that
  • MoneyMayMoneyMay Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Goose,

the game you're referring to is also called acey-deucy, and it's an evil, evil game. That game always defies logic, and most everyone goes down hard. You get the A-2 draw, and you have to bet pot, and it seems like everytime you hit the post.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    brians wrote:
    If it lost it was a bad bet

The result of the bet has nothing to do with whether or not it was "good" or "bad"
  • BrisbaneBrisbane Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Produce wrote:
    The result of the bet has nothing to do with whether or not it was "good" or "bad"

Doesn't that really depend on whether you're a Kantian or Neitzchian philosopher? :wonder:
  • EuroSportsEuroSports Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Nothing wrong with the bet, and yes, you are right, the bet was good, and the result does not change that. If it had gone down, it still would have been the correct play, at least in your estimation, which is all this game is. I am sure you looked at it and thought something like Denver wins in this spot 29 out of 30 times, so -1300 is a huge value. I have placed a few of these wagers on WC qualifiers. There are those "Germany/England/Italy powerhouse vs Faroe Islands" type of games where the powerhouse is -2000, but when you look at it, they will lose or draw maybe one time in 50 tries against this team so the -2000 is the correct play. Many don't want to lay those numbers, but honestly, some of those plays are much better than plays made at -110, at least as far as the perceived advantage.
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    Euro, you are exactly right. I estimated the chances of the Raiders winning at far less than 7%, which is why it made this bet correct, regardless of the result
  • briansbrians Banned
    edited September 2008
    Produce wrote:

The result is everything.

How many times have you seen complete reversals in halves of football games.

Maybe i am not getting this can u tell me how you capped this to UNDER A 7% chance or estimated it ??
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    Brians, I will be driving most of the day but I will definately breakdown it down later tonight
  • EuroSportsEuroSports Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    brians wrote:
    The result is everything.

How many times have you seen complete reversals in halves of football games.

Maybe i am not getting this can u tell me how you capped this to UNDER A 7% chance or estimated it ??

I think Brians you are still missing the boat here. In the example Produce gave above, betting No at -1800 when the true odds are 20-1 is a good bet, regardless of whether it wins or not. If it loses, was it a bad bet or a bad beat (bad luck, whatever you want to call it). In his example, it would CLEARLY be a good bet, since you know that odds are in your favor. It isn't that simple betting sports. All this game boils down to is that every punter estimates his advantage on a bet, otherwise you would not make it. If you estimate a bet wins 60% of the time, and you are only laying -110, then in your mind it is a good bet, regardless of the outcome. When you bet it, clearly you think you have an advantage, but that doesn't mean it cannot lose. Maybe after it loses, you have to re-evaluate and decide if the bet was indeed a good bet or not. I have had plenty of bets that I would make again in the same spot that I still think were good plays, even if they went down.

So, I have to disagree...the result does not change if a bet was "good" or not. Haven't you had plenty a bet that lost on some heartbreak or fluke play? Wouldn't you make the bet again if the same situation came up? It was a good bet, just an unfortunate outcome.

The recent Super Bowl was a great example of a good bet that lost. NE was -400 and many "sharp" players pounded that number, since the spread was double digit, which normally would equate to more like -500 or -600. Clearly a value, just not the result they wanted.

Take another example....poker, since it has been huge on TV. Say your opponent pushes all in on you with pocket 8's, and you have pocket K's. You call and lose. Was it a bad bet because of the result? Of course not, just bad luck.
  • hawk17hawk17 Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    it was against the Raiders. I mean common, the fucking Raiders. probably the easiest money anyone can get.
  • briansbrians Banned
    edited September 2008
    Maybe i aint getting it thats why i would like to know how to figure out what the true odds are,

Thats all maybe i will learn something today,
  • ProduceProduce Banned
    edited September 2008
    I don't know of a true calculation that would allow you to find the exact true odds of a game. I would assume there are far too many variables to get "exact" odds. That being said, this is some stuff I look at to give me rough estimates......

In the last 42 games the Raiders have scored more than 17 points in the 2nd half, the amount they would have needed at a minimum to cause me to lose, ONCE. This is not taking into account they would have to shut out the Broncos in the 2nd half to cover.

1/42 or 2.4%

This is an example of something I would look at while handicapping such a large money line. After this I would check to see if the Broncos were ever leading at halftime and were outscored by more than 17 in the 2nd half. I don't remember the results from the other night, but the answer was never.

For me to lose this bet both of these would have to have come true. I'm still traveling so I can't do the math and I can't find the exact stats on the 2nd half Broncos, but the odds are much worse than 7.7% as you can see
  • TopdagoTopdago Member
    edited September 2008
    Don't want to get into somthing I don't know any thing about.But what supried me in this game is the line the books put out at the second half.I only had the game for a half a buck, but I bet Denv. un 42. When the books came out with 17.5 the second half I had to leap on the over and just blow the juice. BUT it also gave me a 6.5 cushion to middle the game.It was hard for me to believe they would let any come even close to doing this.Ciao