NHL Picks 2019-2020 by Professor MJ

Comments

• ProfessorMJProfessorMJ Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for November 14

RECORD:

Bets won = 19
    Bets lost = 17
    Profit = +$6.77 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's picks are (odds from Pinnacle):

2 STARS = Red Wings (at +125 or 2.25) at Kings

This pick is based on "The Stingy Goalies" betting angle, whose details were provided to you in an earlier post.

Thus far in 2019, this strategy has generated a 1.42-unit profit over 43 bets (minimal gains, but still in positive territory!).

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for November 15

Dammit! Our unbelievable good streak ended last night.

The Red Wings were just 2 minutes away from pulling off the upset in L.A., but the Kings tied the game late in the 3rd period before getting the W in overtime.

Let's get back on our feet quickly!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 19
    • Bets lost = 18
    • Profit = +$5.77 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 2 STARS = Blue Jackets (at +117 or 2.17) vs Blues
    • 2 STARS = Senators (at +128 or 2.28) vs Flyers

Both picks are based on "The Snapped Winning Streak" betting system.

Professor MJ
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for November 15

Dammit! Our unbelievable good streak ended last night.
    Professor MJ

Definition of unbelievable
    : too improbable for belief

Definition of your toutspeak:
    WORD OF THE DAY
    white elephant
    something of little or no value
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for November 16

I'm posting the Saturday picks in advance since I won't have time to do it then (we are Friday late afternoon at the time of writing).

The system picks are (odds from Pinnacle):

• 4 STARS = Jets (at +188 or 2.88) at Lightning
    • 4 STARS = Flames (at -105 or 1.95) at Coyotes
    • 2 STARS = Hurricanes (at -116 or 1.86) at Wild

The Friday night games might add more system plays for Saturday depending on how they play out, but as of now those are 3 picks that we are definitely taking (since the teams involved are not playing Friday night).

Enjoy your weekend hockey fans!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for November 16

I'm posting the Saturday picks in advance since I won't have time to do it then
    Professor MJ

Oh, I get it now. This moonlighting endeavor is at your convenience. What happened to the "Hot Goalie" gimmick? How do we know he's starting with such advance play? Kinda like betting mlb w/out knowing the pitchers. I guess that doesn't matter to you either.

Many before you have tried this data mining BS and have failed. I've been the recipient($$) of this stupidity. To conclude, you either believe in this road to failure or are a snake oil peddler. Possibly both.
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Sunday November 17

The betting systems are still on fire, 4-1 over past two days with many underdogs hitting!

RECORD:

Bets won = 23
    Bets lost = 19
    Profit = +$9.96 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

2 STARS = Sabres (at +123 or 2.23) at Blackhawks
    2 STARS = Flames (at +136 or 2.36) at Golden Knights

Good Sunday!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Monday November 18

Both picks lost yesterday (two underdogs), unfortunately. Still a good cushion in profit territory, let's rebound tonight!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 23
    • Bets lost = 21
    • Profit = +$7.96 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 2 STARS = Kings (at +145 or 2.45) at Coyotes
    • 1 STAR = Ducks (at +194 or 2.94) at Capitals

Good luck with your plays!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Tuesday November 19

For the second straight day, both picks lost.

We knew a losing streak was bound to happen, eventually. Let's hope it does not last very long!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 23
    • Bets lost = 23
    • Profit = +$5.96 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 5 STARS = Blues (at +106 or 2.06) vs Lightning
    • 2 STARS = Flyers (at +120 or 2.20) at Panthers
    • 2 STARS = Islanders (at +113 or 2.13) at Penguins
    • 2 STARS = Blue Jackets (at +107 or 2.07) vs Canadiens
    • 2 STARS = Canucks (at +130 or 2.30) at Stars
    • 2 STARS = Maple Leafs (at +131 or 2.31) at Golden Knights
    • 2 STARS = Oilers (at +123 or 2.23) at Sharks
    • 1 STAR = Jets (at +166 or 2.66) at Predators

The Blues pick is based on three betting systems: "The Big Upset", "The Snapped Winning Streak" and "The Cold Teams Matchup".

Here are the details of "The Big Upset" strategy:

"Suppose Team A upsets Team B with odds greater than 2.70 in decimal format (i.e. +170 in American format). If Team B's next game is against a different opponent called Team C, bet Team C is its money line is greater than 1.667 in decimal format (i.e. -150 in American format, to avoid betting big favorites which did not prove to be profitable)."

This strategy led to 27.81-unit gains via 600 bets over a nine-year span. Not my favoritable betting angle, but still tracking it.

Tampa's last game was a 4-3 loss to Winnipeg, where the Jets' money line was 2.88. For this reason, we are going to bet AGAINST the Lightning tonight (since St. Louis is NOT a big favorite today).

Cheers!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    Oh my teacher, you're chasing by betting over 60% of the board. Wtf, you don't have to pay. Where are all the systems involved? The following is a post from a respected poster in another forum. This was posted after you started "yoshing" a few weeks ago. Why the arrogant response to him?

"In your first post you claimed that you would make 1 pick on Tuesday and 1 pick on Thursday, and possibly Saturday also.
    Knowing what day of the week a system play would fall on is quite impressive.

You are off to a rough start, albeit a small sample size, and here you are on a Friday with not only 1 pick, but a total of 5!
    Not to mention you have suddenly gone to a rating system of 1 to 4 stars.
    In your first post you put forth past numbers which were based upon flat betting. Seems you have deviated from your norm.

As a "statistics university professor" you should be well aware of the importance of consistency, as to avoid short term variance"
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Wednesday November 20

5 wins and 3 losses last night. Considering all 8 picks were on underdogs, we made a nice 3.15 unit profit.

RECORD:

Bets won = 28
    Bets lost = 26
    Profit = +$9.11 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Only one pick today (odds from Bookmaker):

1 STAR = Rangers (at +158 or 2.58) vs Capitals

The pick is based on "The Porous Defense" betting angle:

"Suppose a team allows 4+ goals in each of its past two games. Bet them tonight if they are playing at home with a money line greater than 2.05 (i.e. +105 in American format)."

Using this system over a nine-year period led to 27.64-unit gains via 267 bets.

The Rangers have allowed 4 and 9 goals in their last two meetings, respectively. Since they are indeed home underdogs, we are backing them tonight at MSG.

Good day!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Thursday November 21

Nice hit with the Rangers upsetting the top team in the league last night, yet another rewarding betting day!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 29
    • Bets lost = 26
    • Profit = +$10.69 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's picks are:

• 5 STARS = Red Wings (at +151 or 2.51) at Blue Jackets
    • 4 STARS = Sabres (at +192 or 2.92) at Bruins
    • 4 STARS = Flyers (at +144 or 2.44) at Hurricanes
    • 4 STARS = Maple Leafs (at +103 or 2.03) at Coyotes
    • 2 STARS = Flames (at +135 or 2.35) at Blues

The Detroit pick is rated 5 stars because it meets the criteria of three different betting angles: "The Scoring Drought", "The Stingy Goalies" and "The Cold Team versus Hot Team matchup".

Let's stay hot!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Monday November 25

What's up hockey fans, I hope you had a nice weekend!

Here are the plays recommended by my 10 betting systems for today.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 31
    • Bets lost = 29
    • Profit = +$10.16 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's picks are:

• 5 STARS = Ducks (at +113 or 2.13) vs Islanders
    • 4 STARS = Golden Knights (at +112 or 2.12) at Stars
    • 3 STARS = Sabres (at +213 or 3.13) at Lightning
    • 3 STARS = Senators (at +143 or 2.43) at Blue Jackets

The Anaheim pick is rated 5 stars because it meets the criteria of three different betting angles.

One of them is "The Cold Teams Matchup" strategy:

"Bet a home underdog if it has lost at least 3 straight games and facing a team that has lost 1-2 game(s) in a row."

This system led to 44.95-unit gains over a nine-year period (through 141 bets).

Have a good Monday!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Tuesday November 26

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 32
    • Bets lost = 32
    • Profit = +$8.29 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Just one system play today:

1 STAR = Bruins (at -114 or 1.88) at Canadiens

This pick is based on "The Big Upset" betting system, which goes like this:

"Suppose Team A upsets Team B with odds greater than 2.70 (i.e. +170 in American format). If Team B's next game is against Team D whose money line is greater than 1.667 (i.e. -150 in American format), bet Team D."

The latter part allows us to avoid betting big favorites; past data suggest they are not good value bets under such circumstances.

Over a nine-year period, this strategy yielded a profit of 27.81 units via 600 bets.

It is not one of my favorite betting angles for a few reasons, which is why such picks are rated just 1 star. This season thus far: +4.04 from 18 bets.

Montreal was the victim of a fairly big upset in their last game; the Rangers beat them despite 2.98 odds. According to the criteria above, we are therefore betting against them tonight.

Cheers!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Wednesday November 27

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 33
    • Bets lost = 32
    • Profit = +$9.17 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's picks are:

• 5 STARS = Blues (at +138 or 2.38) at Lightning
    • 2 STARS = Panthers (at +138 or 2.38) at Capitals
    • 2 STARS = Golden Knights (at +117 or 2.17) at Predators
    • 2 STARS = Jets (at +125 or 2.25) at Sharks
    • 1 STAR = Ducks (at +127 or 2.27) at Coyotes

The Blues pick is based on three betting systems at a time, including "The Cold Team vs Hot Team Matchup", which goes like this:

"Bet a road team coming off 2+ straight LOSSES when facing a home team coming off 2+ straight WINS. Bet only if the road team's money line is greater than 2.25 in decimal format."

Over a nine-year period, this strategy yielded a profit of 42.69 units via 428 bets.

In this case, St. Louis is undergoing a two-game losing skid, while Tampa is riding a three-game winning streak. Since the odds on the Blues are indeed larger than 2.25, we are betting them tonight!

Have a nice day all!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Thursday November 28

3-2 last night despite picking 5 underdogs, so a good money making day (+1.80 units)!

Both losses by a one-goal margin, so we had a legitimate shot at a perfect 5-0 record.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 36
    • Bets lost = 34
    • Profit = +$10.97 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Just one game in the NHL today. My 10 betting systems recommend staying away from that game.

I still wanted to wish a great Thanksgiving day to my American friends! Enjoy your day with your loved ones!

Professor MJ
    edited November 2019
    NHL Picks for Friday November 29

Today's system picks are:

• 5 STARS = Red Wings (at +221 or 3.21) at Flyers
    • 3 STARS = Kings (at +140 or 2.40) at Sharks
    • 3 STARS = Blues (at +135 or 2.35) at Stars
    • 2 STARS = Senators (at +167 or 2.67) at Wild
    • 2 STARS = Capitals (at -111 or 1.90) vs Lightning
    • 1 STAR = Predators (at +114 or 2.14) at Hurricanes

Happy Friday!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Monday December 2

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 39
    • Bets lost = 37
    • Profit = +$11.36 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 2 STARS = Golden Knights (at -132 or 1.76) at Rangers
    • 1 STAR = RedWings (at +177 or 2.77) vs Islanders

The Detroit pick is based on "The Porous Defense" betting angle:

"Suppose a team allows 4+ goals in each of its past two games. Bet them tonight if they are playing at home with a money line greater than 2.05 (i.e. +105 in American format)."

Using this system over a nine-year period led to 27.64-unit gains via 267 bets.

The Wings have allowed 5 and 6 goals in their last two meetings, respectively. Since they are indeed home underdogs, we are backing them tonight.

It also fits my contrarian approach; they won't be a sexy pick considering they have lost their past nine games.

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Tuesday December 3

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 40
    • Bets lost = 38
    • Profit = +$11.12 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's system picks are (what??? 9 system picks out of 10 games, I've never seen that before!):

• 5 STARS = Stars (at -109 or 1.92) at Jets
    • 4 STARS = Hurricanes (at +135 or 2.35) at Bruins
    • 4 STARS = Maple Leafs (at -114 or 1.88) at Flyers
    • 4 STARS = Coyotes (at +119 or 2.19) at Blue Jackets
    • 3 STARS = Lightning (at +104 or 2.04) at Predators
    • 2 STARS = Senators (at +145 or 2.45) at Canucks
    • 2 STARS = Sharks (at +107 or 2.07) vs Capitals
    • 1 STAR = Islanders (at +111 or 2.11) at Canadiens
    • 1 STAR = Devils (at +125 or 2.25) vs Golden Knights

The Dallas pick is based on the following three betting systems: "The Scoring Drought", "The Stingy Goalies" and "The Snapped Winning Streak". The latter goes like this:

"Bet against a team whose winning streak of length 3+ was just snapped in their previous game. Bet only if your team's money line is greater than 1.667 (i.e. -150 in American format)."

This betting strategy used over a nine-year period led to gains of $87.34 through 1045 bets.

In this case, the Jets just got their three-game winning streak snapped, so we are fading them tonight.

Professor MJ
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Since you've started applying "stars" to your picks, have the higher starred plays proven to win more than the lower starred plays? Is a 5 star play supposedly worth 5 times more than 1 star play? Perhaps you could explain your star system and it's relevance regarding betting/wagering amount.
    edited December 2019
    Since you've started applying "stars" to your picks, have the higher starred plays proven to win more than the lower starred plays? Is a 5 star play supposedly worth 5 times more than 1 star play? Perhaps you could explain your star system and it's relevance regarding betting/wagering amount.

Good question. I have yet to compile the results as a function of the number of stars. I suspect (and this is not based on actual data) that the system plays have not necessarily done better as the number of stars grows. I'll keep you posted if I find time to get the numbers.

As for your second question, I do NOT recommend betting 5 times more on 5-star plays versus 1-star plays. That's way too big of a spread, in my own opinion. Perhaps between 2 and 2.5 times more. But that's just my personal taste, though. Feel free to adjust based on your preference.

So if your average bet is $100, perhaps 1-star play = $60, 2-star plays = $80, 3-star plays = $100, 4-star plays = $120 and 5-star plays = $140. Structuring your bets this way makes your bet amount 2.33 times bigger on the "best" versus "worst" plays. I would feel comfortable with that.

Hope this answers your question. Have a nice day!

- - - Updated - - -

NHL Picks for Wednesday December 4

Ouch. Tough day last night, as almost half of our yearly profit disappeared.

That's ok. Gotta learn to cope with losing streaks when doing sports investments.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 42
    • Bets lost = 45
    • Profit = +$6.35 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 2 STARS = Senators (at +190 or 2.90) at Oilers
    • 2 STARS = Kings (at +121 or 2.21) vs Capitals

The Los Angeles pick is based on "The Hot Scorers" betting angle:

"Suppose a team has scored 4+ goals in each of its past 3 games. Bet AGAINST that team if they are on the road tonight."

This system yielded a profit of 45.08 units via 332 bets over a nine-year period.

Now, the Caps have scored 5, 5 and 4 goals in their three most recent matchups. Considering they are the visiting team tonight, we are fading them.

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Thursday December 5

1-1 last night for a +0.90 unit profit since the Sens were able to pull off a big upset in Edmonton.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 43
    • Bets lost = 46
    • Profit = +$7.25 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 5 STARS = Blackhawks (at +199 or 2.99) at Bruins
    • 4 STARS = Coyotes (at +134 or 2.34) at Flyers
    • 3 STARS = Sabres (at +144 or 2.44) at Flames
    • 2 STARS = Sharks (at +145 or 2.45) at Hurricanes
    • 1 STAR = Jets (at +140 or 2.40) at Stars

The Arizona pick is based on two betting systems, including "The Hot Teams Matchup" betting angle:

"Bet a road team coming off 1-2 straight win(s) when facing a home team coming off 3+ straight wins."

This system yielded a profit of 66.87 units via 483 bets over a nine-year period.

According to this betting strategy, since the Coyotes have won one game in a row and the Flyers are riding a five-game winning streak, we're going to back Arizona.

Thanks for reading!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Friday December 6

The 5-star and 4-star plays hit last night!

Despite a 2-3 record, we made a profit thanks in large part to the Blackhawks pulling off the big upset in Boston!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 45
    • Bets lost = 49
    • Profit = +$7.58 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Only one team meets the criteria of one of my 10 NHL betting systems:

• 3 STARS = Kings (at +146 or 2.46) at Oilers

This pick relies on "The Big Upset" and "The Scoring Drought" strategies.

Here are the details of "The Big Upset" angle:

"Suppose Team A upsets Team B with odds greater than 2.70 (i.e. +170 in American format. If Team B's next game is against Team C, bet Team C if its money line is greater than 1.667 (i.e. -150 in American format)."

This system yielded a profit of 27.81 units via 600 bets over a nine-year period. Not my personal favorite, but I'm still using it.

In Edmonton's last game, they were upset at home against the Sens. Ottawa's money line was much bigger than 2.70. According to the system, we need to bet AGAINST the Oilers, which means we're taking the Kings (unless they had been big favorites, which is not the case here).

I'll talk to you again Monday, have a great weekend!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Monday December 9

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 45
    • Bets lost = 50
    • Profit = +$6.58 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

Today's plays based on my 10 NHL betting systems:

• 5 STARS = Blue Jackets (at +198 or 2.98) at Capitals
    • 2 STARS = Flames (at +140 or 2.40) at Avalanche

Cheers!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Tuesday December 10

VERY NICE!! Both picks hit last night (both underdogs), including the 5-star play as the Blue Jackets upset the Caps in Washington!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 47
    • Bets lost = 50
    • Profit = +$9.96 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 4 STARS = Canadiens (at +145 or 2.45) at Penguins
    • 4 STARS = Ducks (at +145 or 2.45) at Wild
    • 4 STARS = RedWings (at +210 or 3.10) at Jets
    • 2 STARS = Sharks (at +150 or 2.50) at Predators
    • 2 STARS = Devils (at +179 or 2.79) at Stars
    • 1 STAR = Blackhawks (at +176 or 2.76) at Golden Knights
    • 1 STAR = Rangers (at +106 or 2.06) at Kings

The Rangers pick barely qualifies under "The Blowout" betting system:

Bet a team that blew out its previous opponent by a margin of 3+ goals. The team we bet must be on the road and its money line must be greater than 2.05 (which essentially means they must be underdogs).

This betting angle generated gains of 60.49 units over 818 bets through a 9-year span.

The Rangers' last game was a convincing 5-0 win over Vegas. Since they are indeed on the road tonight with odds barely above 2.05, we are backing them.

Good luck guys!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL Picks for Wednesday December 11

We lost close to 2 units last night, but at least the top two picks hit.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 49
    • Bets lost = 55
    • Profit = +$7.86 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 5 STARS = Bruins (at +112 or 2.12) at Capitals
    • 3 STARS = Senators (at +176 or 2.76) at Canadiens
    • 2 STARS = Flyers (at +141 or 2.41) at Avalanche

The Boston pick meets the criteria of three betting angles at a time: "The Big Upset", "The Scoring Drought" and "The Snapped Winning Streak".

Let's see how we do with those system plays!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL System Picks for Thursday December 12

The December slide continued last night... Still in profit territory this season, but got cut down recently.

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 49
    • Bets lost = 58
    • Profit = +$4.86 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 3 STARS = Blue Jackets (at +150 or 2.50) at Penguins
    • 2 STARS = Bruins (at +131 or 2.31) at Lightning
    • 2 STARS = Oilers (at +111 or 2.11) at Wild
    • 2 STARS = Maple Leafs (at -109 or 1.92) at Flames
    • 2 STARS = Blackhawks (at +131 or 2.31) at Coyotes
    • 1 STAR = Islanders (at +106 or 2.06) at Panthers
    • 1 STAR = RedWings (at +166 or 2.66) vs Jets
    • 1 STAR = Canucks (at +115 or 2.15) vs Hurricanes

A total of 8 system plays, but none rated 4-5 stars? That's odd...

Let's hope for a nice rebound tonight!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    You've touted almost 90% 'dogs make it 95% if you include tiny favorites. Your 'systems' produce few chalks? You shudda been a carnival worker instead of a middle-school mentor. On this board, you are the student. Pay attention. Leave the mining to Clementine's father.
    edited December 2019
    NHL System Picks for Friday December 13

Will Friday the 13th bring us good luck? I hope so since it is my youngest son's birthday today! Happy b-day Jay!!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 52
    • Bets lost = 63
    • Profit = +$3.73 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 2 STARS = Golden Knights (at +140 or 2.40) at Stars

This pick is based on "The Stingy Goalies" betting system.

Have a GREAT weekend!!!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL System Picks for Tuesday December 17

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 53
    • Bets lost = 63
    • Profit = +$5.13 (from RISKING 1$ on every play)

• 5 STARS = Predators (at +130 or 2.30) at Islanders
    • 3 STARS = Canucks (at -110 or 1.91) vs Canadiens
    • 2 STARS = Penguins (at +107 or 2.07) at Flames
    • 1 STAR = Sharks (at -105 or 1.95) vs Coyotes

Good luck!

Professor MJ
    edited December 2019
    NHL System Picks for Wednesday December 18

The 5-star play hit last night as the Preds upset the Islanders 8-3!

RECORD:
    • Bets won = 55
    • Bets lost = 65
    • Profit = +5.50 units (from RISKING 1 unit on every play)

• 4 STARS = Oilers (at +150 or 2.50) at Blues

The pick is based on "The Stingy Goalies" and "The Hot Teams Matchup" betting angles.

Have a nice day fellows!

Professor MJ