Betting Talk

First time bettor wins $1.2M on Tiger win

paddyboy111paddyboy111 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in Sports Betting
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-15/winner-of-1-2-million-tiger-wager-was-first-time-sports-bettor

Congratulations to see a guy shoot the moon and hit it. That said....

Supposedly this guy was in debt but put together a bankroll of $85K by "selling Amazon shares" and day-trading. And made the first bet of his life by flying to Vegas to put $85K down? I would tell people I have never bet also if I were dumb enough to have my winnings posted in a newspaper that the IRS might read. As far as being a "day trader", there are some, but most of the people who call themselves that are not. Anybody who is paying credit card bills while holding equities probably doesnt have a "finance background" but does have some capital they are losing slowly and doesnt want to call himself unemployed or "TV sports fan." I hope William Hill is paying him for this publicity tour.

Comments

• lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited April 2019
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-15/winner-of-1-2-million-tiger-wager-was-first-time-sports-bettor

Congratulations to see a guy shoot the moon and hit it. That said....

Supposedly this guy was in debt but put together a bankroll of $85K by "selling Amazon shares" and day-trading. And made the first bet of his life by flying to Vegas to put $85K down? I would tell people I have never bet also if I were dumb enough to have my winnings posted in a newspaper that the IRS might read. As far as being a "day trader", there are some, but most of the people who call themselves that are not. Anybody who is paying credit card bills while holding equities probably doesnt have a "finance background" but does have some capital they are losing slowly and doesnt want to call himself unemployed or "TV sports fan." I hope William Hill is paying him for this publicity tour.

I agree. This story doesn't pass the smell test. There has to be more to this story...
  • paddyboy111paddyboy111 Senior Member
    edited April 2019
    I agree. This story doesn't pass the smell test. There has to be more to this story...

USA Today now reporting the guy has a long rap sheet, mostly for domestic violence. Here's my version of what probably happened:

1. Local wiseguy needs to lay off some Tiger action
    2. Sends local jerkoff on free trip to Vegas, figuring how could he screw this up.
    3. Instead of discreetly spreading the bets around, he told everyone he had $100K to spend and he got $15K down at a couple books.
    4. Got the other $85K down at William Hill
    5. When he collected they told him they'd give him $20K cash if he talked to the media.
    6. He tells the media he's never bet before, the IRS takes note.
    7. The wise guy's strategy of giving the jerkoff $1M in losing betting stubs and lottery tickets is now out the window, so he's $200K in the hole.
    8. Wise guy not happy with the jerkoff.