1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 52 Times in 34 Posts

    Default is the crowd a real advantage in baseball?

    a friend and i are arguing if the home crowd is an advantage in baseball, particularly, in the playoffs ty in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,116
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 675 Times in 614 Posts

    Default

    personally i think none at all

  3. #3
    Senior Member StackAttack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    3,811
    Thanks
    2,314
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 900 Posts

    Default

    Agreed ^^^

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,309
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    Home crowd is usually synonymous with home team.....YES

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,116
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 675 Times in 614 Posts

    Default

    so i guess when the yankees are playing in tampa or balt , the odds are reduced because of those home crowd advantages ?
    I think if you have a baseball model , and are using , say , home team records ,i would think the crowd/non crowd is built into that. So i change my answer to no/yes

  6. #6
    Senior Member R40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAdvantage View Post
    a friend and i are arguing if the home crowd is an advantage in baseball, particularly, in the playoffs ty in advance.
    The crowd is probably minimal. The home field is substantial. People probably equate the home crowd as adding an air of energy for the home team but the reality is that the home field advantage would still exist in an empty stadium and probably be even larger.

  7. Thanks:

    The Following User Says Thank You to R40 For This Useful Post:

    jets96 (10-11-2018)  

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,309
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R40 View Post
    The crowd is probably minimal. The home field is substantial. People probably equate the home crowd as adding an air of energy for the home team but the reality is that the home field advantage would still exist in an empty stadium and probably be even larger.
    Could you give me your rationale with the last sentence?

  9. Thanks:

    The Following User Says Thank You to Ronbets For This Useful Post:

    gobucks2 (10-11-2018)  

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 136 Times in 91 Posts

    Default

    when it's a tie game, bottom of the 9th, three balls, two strikes, the home crowd is on their feet and they are cheering.

    the home batter assumes that they are cheering for him.

    the road pitcher assumes that they are cheering against him.

    if the road pitcher would convince himself that they are cheering for him, rather than against him, then this should neutralize any perceived edge/lift the home crowd is providing the home batter.

    oppositely, tie game, top of the 9th, three balls, two strikes, the home crowd is on their feet and they are cheering.

    the road batter assumes they are cheering against him.

    again, why? just pretend they're cheering for you.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Old-Timer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,403
    Thanks
    6,800
    Thanked 5,314 Times in 3,625 Posts

    Default

    Please read what your saying a few times. Home field advantage. Letís start off with noise. Pop ups, outfield fly balls between two players need to hear. How about bunts crowds can get loud. Thereís others donít have time you think of others. Great football advantage the snap count the offense line needs to hear the snap count thatís a huge advantage knowing the snap count as long as you can hear it. Changing plays at the line you say hand signals I say good luck. Hoops every gym has shadows know where there are also some gyms have dead spots also some places play hockey and then basketballIs. Is it a coincidence that most teams in sports have winning home records. Yes there is a home field advantage and some are better then others unless bookmakers have been wrong all these years.

  12. #10
    Senior Member R40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R40 View Post
    The crowd is probably minimal. The home field is substantial. People probably equate the home crowd as adding an air of energy for the home team but the reality is that the home field advantage would still exist in an empty stadium and probably be even larger.
    An empty stadium basically creates a dead environment and makes the already disadvantaged situation worse by eliminating any increased playing level created by crowd intensity which is not much but likely some. So you would be slightly more likely to be blown off the field.

    The crowd does make some difference such as causing a player to miss a free throw here and there. On the other hand, it can increase the playing level of the road team by creating a higher intensity level.

    I would not recommend you think too much about this Ronbets. It is all very complicated and not something you are likely to comprehend.

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,309
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R40 View Post
    An empty stadium basically creates a dead environment and makes the already disadvantaged situation worse by eliminating any increased playing level created by crowd intensity which is not much but likely some. So you would be slightly more likely to be blown off the field.

    The crowd does make some difference such as causing a player to miss a free throw here and there. On the other hand, it can increase the playing level of the road team by creating a higher intensity level.

    I would not recommend you think too much about this Ronbets. It is all very complicated and not something you are likely to comprehend.
    Usually I get a snap reply post from you. Shocking ! Did you check your text books for a reply? LAME. You mighta retired at 40...but not in this business. Maybe the USArmy.

  14. #12
    Senior Member R40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbets View Post
    Usually I get a snap reply post from you. Shocking ! Did you check your text books for a reply? LAME. You mighta retired at 40...but not in this business. Maybe the USArmy.
    Stick to booking bets Ronbets. Handicapping is not your bag.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,309
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R40 View Post
    Stick to booking bets Ronbets. Handicapping is not your bag.
    I'd love to book your action. Unfortunately this might not occur. I can tell you this for sure, you wouldn't get paid on any accidental upside down line. That's called stealing and you seem to endorse it.

  16. #14
    Senior Member R40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbets View Post
    I'd love to book your action. Unfortunately this might not occur. I can tell you this for sure, you wouldn't get paid on any accidental upside down line. That's called stealing and you seem to endorse it.
    No, you wouldn't. I drive a hard bargain.

  17. #15
    Senior Member R40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts

    Default

    Oh, and by the way Ronbets, I believe the NJ regulator said that if NJ sportsbooks are expecting him to save them on their bad lines and claiming "theft," they had better think twice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast