Betting Talk

2018-19 NFL Power Ratings - Week 1

yung_keeksyung_keeks Junior Member
edited September 2018 in Sports Betting
With the 2018 regular season set to begin tonight, it's time to discuss Week 1 power ratings.

I assign numerical values to each team in order to get a better estimation of how much better one is than another. New England is the best team in the NFL according to my ratings, but how much better are they than teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas and Chicago? I look to answer those types of questions when constructing power ratings.

2018 NFL Power Ratings - Week 1.jpg

The primary components used to generate these numbers are:
- Yards-per-play differential from the prior year
- Season over/under win totals blended with strength of schedule projections
- Week 1 market expectation

Curious to hear some thoughts from other sharp folks.

https://www.lvsportsinsight.com/2018/09/2018-19-nfl-week-1-power-ratings.html

Comments

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    yung_keeks wrote: »
    With the 2018 regular season set to begin tonight, it's time to discuss Week 1 power ratings.

I assign numerical values to each team in order to get a better estimation of how much better one is than another. New England is the best team in the NFL according to my ratings, but how much better are they than teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas and Chicago? I look to answer those types of questions when constructing power ratings.

2018 NFL Power Ratings - Week 1.jpg

The primary components used to generate these numbers are:
    - Yards-per-play differential from the prior year
    - Season over/under win totals blended with strength of schedule projections
    - Week 1 market expectation

Curious to hear some thoughts from other sharp folks.

https://www.lvsportsinsight.com/2018/09/2018-19-nfl-week-1-power-ratings.html

Do you use these ratings to make a spread---and is that spread simple the differential between two teams' ratings +/- home field advantage?
  • yung_keeksyung_keeks Junior Member
    edited September 2018
    Do you use these ratings to make a spread---and is that spread simple the differential between two teams' ratings +/- home field advantage?

Yes that's the premise of the exercise - primarily to have a baseline/reference point of expectation.

I was curious to hear some opinions on specific teams going into the season and looking to ignite a discussion on the topic considering this forum seems fairly subdued IMO.