Betting Talk

NCAA Tourney thoughts?

warrior2790warrior2790 Senior Member
edited March 2020 in Sports Betting
I know there’s a ton of speculation but with a week left before the start do you think they’ll actually proceed with playing?

The virus is only going to spread more and if a player on a team gets infected...what’s next?

Comments

• rmbullisrmbullis Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    I’d put it at:

NCAA tourney postponed: -300
    Canceled: -150
    Played without fans: +500
    Played as normal: +100000

Seeing as how we may have no sports very soon for the foreseeable future, do any books have a line on these things? Or am I just going to have to bet Donald Trump again.
  • hornsfanhornsfan Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    I know there’s a ton of speculation but with a week left before the start do you think they’ll actually proceed with playing?

The virus is only going to spread more and if a player on a team gets infected...what’s next?

this. once one player is confirmed positive they will shut the whole thing down. therefore, i think they will be in front of it and cancel it in the next few days. wonder what type of insurance is out there for a situation like this...the NCAA can't exist without that TV money for one year i would assume.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    I am guessing they go ahead with it without fans. They don't need fans at all. I can't imagine them passing on all that money just to avoid a pandemic. But on the other hand, you pretty much expose yourselves as profiteers if you go ahead so they may cancel for public relations purposes.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    any thoughts on how people will cap the games different(if at all) if not played in front of much of a crowd
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    kcburgh wrote: »
    any thoughts on how people will cap the games different(if at all) if not played in front of much of a crowd

Definitely will be a harder thing for the major schools but not enough value to try to take advantage unless you just like an underdog already and then that is just another factor to add to the equation.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    Here is an real-world example of the empty gym effect. When I was in high school, I played a game in Earth, Texas in a high school tournament. We played at 10 a.m. and we were not just flat, we were comatose. You could tell in warmups. For whatever reason, the other team was ready to roll. They scored 100 points on and we lost 70 points. I have no idea how they scored that many points because we played SLOW and there were no threes.

We played them again on their home floor and lost by about 15-20 which is about what you would handicap the game to be. Then we played them in our gym and beat them with two free throws with no time remaining by 1 point.

The next year, we played them again in an empty gym in another tournament and this time they are comatose and we beat them by 7 or so. Played them home and home and they beat us easily as projected both games.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    At this point it's hard to see a scenario where the tournament gets played, I read where Duke and Kansas both said they wouldn't participate, if you ever wondered what a world without sports would look like, we're about to find out
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    With everyone getting in line now, pretty much no way out. If you get a coronavirus case at your event, you are in deep. No way anyone does anything now until there is an all clear.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    rmbullis wrote: »
    Seeing as how we may have no sports very soon for the foreseeable future, do any books have a line on these things? Or am I just going to have to bet Donald Trump again.

According to my man Krackman, the odds on Trump have plummetted from -220 to pick'em versus Biden.
    edited March 2020
    Ronbets wrote: »
    According to my man Krackman, the odds on Trump have plummetted from -220 to pick'em versus Biden.

dimes has trump to win and not receive popular vote at +225..seems the way to go
    edited March 2020
    dimes has trump to win and not receive popular vote at +225..seems the way to go

Dunno, KCB. Oh, btw, thanks for waking up the morgue.
    We all remember DJT as spry and witty. He'd label the opposition with slurred nicknames. He was always cocky and braggadocious and looking like a dapper 50ish guy. Things are turning. I really wonder about his negative testing result. Do you really think they'd announce a confirmed positive for the virus? Regardless, this crisis is taking a toll on him. His age is in the danger zone, both with or without contracting it. He's not passing the "eye test". It's early, but I'd keep the rubber band on.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020

If this thing goes the way some are projecting, there may not be an election. Trump will just declare himself King.
    edited March 2020
    Dunno, KCB. Oh, btw, thanks for waking up the morgue.
    We all remember DJT as spry and witty. He'd label the opposition with slurred nicknames. He was always cocky and braggadocious and looking like a dapper 50ish guy. Things are turning. I really wonder about his negative testing result. Do you really think they'd announce a confirmed positive for the virus? Regardless, this crisis is taking a toll on him. His age is in the danger zone, both with or without contracting it. He's not passing the "eye test". It's early, but I'd keep the rubber band on.[/QU

If he does win I just don't see him winning the popular vote..Biden is not right as well. Dems will do what they can to protect him, but guy just shoots himself in the foot all the time.
    edited March 2020
    Biden 'decisioned' Bernie in tonite's(Sun) debate. Sleepy Joe looked much better versus a non-aggressive Sanders. I think Bernie sees the "writing on the wall". Biden committed to a female running mate. Guess who that'll be.........?? he doesn't need help in Minnesota or Mass, but does need the latter's delegates.

*edit
    Biden looked rested and the gaffes were minimal. The facts?.... well that's another story.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    Debates mean nothing. Trump's election will be entirely determined by the level of the stock market. That is why the Fed is going to work.
    edited March 2020
    R40 wrote: »
    Debates mean nothing. Trump's election will be entirely determined by the level of the stock market. That is why the Fed is going to work.

Don't you just love a guy that deals in absolutes......WTF
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020

I deal in reality. Watch and see.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020

..and now watch Trump bail out anybody and everybody.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    [QUOTE=R40;933166]Debates mean nothing. Trump's election will be entirely determined by the level of the stock market. That is why the Fed is going to work.[/QUOTE]

Correct, Hillary kicked Trump's ass in every debate and it didn't matter. 99% of people who watch a debate already know who they're voting for, and the other 1% don't remember anything about the debates when they go to vote anyway
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited March 2020
    If you get any COVID-19 death props, I recommend betting under. The over may be a good bet but hard to collect.