Betting Talk

Random thoughts and stuff

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited September 2016
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Yea but Howard did have good years look in 2006,7,8,9,10, and 11 Then Hurt 2012/2013 and after that the numbers started to slide but he had some of the best numbers your going to see for 6 straight years. Now he's done but what did Heyward ever do. Heywards best year was in 2012 with 27/82 Please. Not Howards fault he got a long term contact but he earn it in today's market.

Ryan Howards top career WAR, 5.2. Jason Heyward age 20 6.4, age 21 2.5, age 22 5.8, age 23 3.7, age 24 6.2, age 25 6.5. This year has been down, everyone has a bad year, but he put together enough of a resume that I would feel comfortable about his future. Give me Jason Heyward coming into his prime years anyday. Some people don't value defense, but guys that play it at an elite level are fun to watch.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    StevieY wrote: »
    Ryan Howards top career WAR, 5.2. Jason Heyward age 20 6.4, age 21 2.5, age 22 5.8, age 23 3.7, age 24 6.2, age 25 6.5. This year has been down, everyone has a bad year, but he put together enough of a resume that I would feel comfortable about his future. Give me Jason Heyward coming into his prime years anyday. Some people don't value defense, but guys that play it at an elite level are fun to watch.

I give you that but that's it. Look at his numbers and with the team he's playing with he'll never have WAR #'s like that again. He's a back line hitter and plays a position that needs a guy to produce and he's not it. I said the same thing when he came up and watched him. He's a back of the line hitter please. Also WAR #'s have there place but you have to also take into consideration the team there on also. WAR is not the be all to end all.

Good Luck to him when the bright lights are turned on this year.
    edited September 2016
    Just like to add he makes 3x's more then Rizzo and is the 2nd highest player on the team that's carrying him to a possible World Series Championship team. Wait till they have to pay the other players on that team. They better win it all this year.
    edited September 2016
    [/B]
    I give you that but that's it. Look at his numbers and with the team he's playing with he'll never have WAR #'s like that again. He's a back line hitter and plays a position that needs a guy to produce and he's not it. I said the same thing when he came up and watched him. He's a back of the line hitter please. Also WAR #'s have there place but you have to also take into consideration the team there on also. WAR is not the be all to end all.

Look at it from the Cubs perspective going into the winter. They were loaded with young offense, but they were weak defensively all over the outfield. Bryant is a minus defender in the outfield, as is Soler. Schwarber is awful out there. Fowler is about average most years and they weren't sure they were going to be able to re-sign him. What do you do? You need to improve your defense in the outfield so you look at the free agent list. Now you go into free agency knowing you will overpay for what you need. Being an old Yankee fan, you should be used to that. :) Sitting at the top of the list is an elite defender who has put up WAR's worthy of being an all star 4 times by age 25 (but hasn't because no one understands defense). He can also play any OF spot. Being that young, he is going to get big offers. You are in a position to win now, but you need to greatly improve your defense, and he is the one guy that fits your team needs more than anyone. What do you do? You go get him. When the weather gets cold in October and the offense slows down, watching him run down a ball in the gap is worth a 2 run double. He will get back to being a 5-7 WAR player in the future. Is that worth 28 million? No, but it doesn't matter, he fits what they need and guys that contribute in so many different ways(in a normal season) are rare to find in FA.

People get hung up on the money. If you have it to spend and it isn't going to hinder you in the future, who cares. You get what you need. If you can find a cheaper alternative, so be it, but there wasn't one. I always hear about how bad Pujols contract is. It brought in 700-800 million extra in media contracts. Pay 250 to bring in 700-800, sounds like a good business deal to me. Wasting the extra 50 mil a year it by giving CJ Wilson 20 mil and Josh Hamilton 29 mil were the killers.
    edited September 2016
    Just like to add he makes 3x's more then Rizzo and is the 2nd highest player on the team that's carrying him to a possible World Series Championship team. Wait till they have to pay the other players on that team. They better win it all this year.

The joy of a young controllable team. Next year, Arrieta is the only main guy they go to arb with. Lackey is a FA the following year, 16 mil off the books or they re-sign him, probably to a similar contract if they do. The first year Rizzo has an option(2020), Heywards contract drops 8 million. Outside of Arrieta either this winter or next winter, they really don't have any decisions to make until 2020 unless they want to do a Trout contract with Bryant. Their window is bigger than this year. Epstein has Billy Beane in him, I can see him letting Arrietta walk in 2018 and get a cheaper replacement. Contract wise, they are ok for a few years.
    edited September 2016
    I know that these players are Team Controled for 2017 but there not going to be making what there making this year.
    Kris Bryant 24 3B $652,000
    Kyle Hendricks 26 SP $541,000
    Addison Russell 22 SS $527,000
    Javier Baez 23 2B $521,000

If they can keep this team together it's going to be one hell of a run in Cub Land. Some pieces will be added and subtracted but this team is a work of art.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    No bet on side or total............Yesterday's LAD/WAS clincher was high drama and questionable managing. Redemption for Kershaw for sure. However, why was your ace(MS) pulled after only 99 pitches in a tie game? I like Dusty, but he's 0 for the world in series clinching games. Roberts? still learning but an upgrade over Donnie Baseball.
    edited October 2016
    Ronbets wrote: »
    No bet on side or total............Yesterday's LAD/WAS clincher was high drama and questionable managing. Redemption for Kershaw for sure. However, why was your ace(MS) pulled after only 99 pitches in a tie game? I like Dusty, but he's 0 for the world in series clinching games. Roberts? still learning but an upgrade over Donnie Baseball.

agree, Dontrell said it best after the game. So many chances to add on so to blame Dusty for everything isn't right. How about that Werth clutch.
    edited October 2016
    [/B]

Heyward is going so bad that the dugout cheers when he makes contact. Good call here OT. The guy is lost at the plate(2for30) and Maddon resorts to playing him as a mega millionaire defensive replacement.

Upcoming game #3. What genius group decided to hit the under(noon) in Wrigley. Of course, the many lemming BMs moved on air. Speaking of air, has their windmill broken?
    edited October 2016
    The series is getting interesting because Hendricks is the type of pitcher that Cleveland does well against. I wonder if Cleveland can pull off this win would the cubs rethink starting Lackey in game four and go back to Lester. I would let Lackey sit would Heywood and watch how the big boys play.
    edited October 2016
    Francona using over worked Miller with a 7-1 lead starting an inning?
    edited November 2016
    Maddon are U overmanaging? Hooks Hendricks?

edit: this was posted prior to Kipnis AB.
    edited November 2016
    Great World Series for MLB. It makes you wonder though the definition of a great manager. When the pundits summarize their attributes, do they include how they handle extreme pressure situations?
    edited November 2016
    Great World Series for MLB. It makes you wonder though the definition of a great manager. When the pundits summarize their attributes, do they include how they handle extreme pressure situations?

My thinking has changed. I said it all through the series that Tito out managed him except for game 7 Tito had his head up his ass

You're Joe Maddon.

No one is going to remember now. The champagne hangover is hard on the memory, erasing questions with bubbles, so many bubbles.*

So no one will ask Maddon why he lifted Kyle Hendricks after 14 outs to set the bullpen game in motion. No one will grill Maddon over why he let Aroldis Chapman pitch and pitch and pitch after it was clear Chapman had a fraction of his usual velocity, or think about why that may have been the case. No one will spend time on why Maddon ordered Javier Baez to lay down a safety squeeze with a 3-2 count and one out in the ninth inning. No one will look back at four weeks of increasingly strange choices and ponder the patterns that belie the manager's reputation for dugout sagacity. The bubbles, you know. The bubbles and the tears and the all-forgiving scoreboard. For Joe Maddon, it's #PositiveTwitter, all the way down.
    edited November 2016
    Just wondering how this Golden State roster is gonna perform this year. Too much talent and not enough basketballs? How is this addition(KD) gonna 'sit' with the backcourt and Green?
    edited November 2016
    Taking a break from this sick lifestyle......this outta Chicago. 108 year old Mabel Ball a life long suffering Cub fan finally got to see them win. After the game 7 clincher she said, "I'm outta here." Six day later she expired. Her son later said, "It ain't funny, but it's funny."
    edited November 2016
    Those Mexico city gamblers certainly know how to gain an edge in pro football........just flash lasers at the opposing qbs or receivers in progress. Hope this doesn't catch on in the states.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    Drug lords must have Oakland..refs are brutal.
    edited November 2016
    Punt with 1 TO with 3minutes and 4th and 5 maybe O'Brien is in on the play.LOL
    edited November 2016
    tuff to watch a game without some consideration. No problem with OSU and Mich.
    edited November 2016
    would you rather bet online or in Nevada..not sure why I struggle with this but being an easy 3hr 15 min drive it does cross my mind on weekends
    edited November 2016
    KCB, if you are posted up offshore Nevada is your best option. Credit is a different story.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Needed a random spot to put this since we don't have a "good beats" thread...I was looking to fade Tiger today, so found two different matchups to play against him, Zach Johnson E and Patrick Reed -.5. Tiger was -1 thru 17 (and even -3 thru 15) with Johnson in the clubhouse at E. He was two up on Reed thru 17 (they were playing together), so needed Reed to beat him by 3 to win. Reed chipped in for birdie, Tiger drove it in the water and took a double, and I somehow won both of them. Tiger looked much better than I thought, and Reed played like absolute crap. I feel like I stole $. Maybe the lesson is that I shouldn't be trying to cap golf.
    edited December 2016
    Keep fading him until he turns it around, if ever. The value is still good.
    edited December 2016
    KCB, if you are posted up offshore Nevada is your best option. Credit is a different story.

have two locals..and an offshore..more with the locals these days at least one local has been around forever
    edited December 2016
    Keep fading him until he turns it around, if ever. The value is still good.

I was all ready to do it again today, and then Justin Rose goes and w/d's.
    edited December 2016
    TommyL wrote: »
    I was all ready to do it again today, and then Justin Rose goes and w/d's.

LOL, that's another good break. Woods is shaking off that 7 iron wrap around. 6 under thru 14.
    edited December 2016
    LOL, that's another good break. Woods is shaking off that 7 iron wrap around. 6 under thru 14.

That good, clean living of mine is finally paying off. :shifty:
    edited December 2016
    Any ameuter prognosticator with an audience might be considered a guru until he's revealed otherwise. I tweeted this former Vegas sportscaster about his surprising ignorance and was promptly deleted. Anyway here is what I'm referring to from another forum.

"Today on his radio show, Colin Cowherd told his listeners that the only college bowl game he cares about is the one between Florida and Iowa because he has a season win total bet on Iowa Over 8.5. He went on to say that if Iowa beats Florida, his family is going on a vacation because he dropped so much money on this bet.

R.J. - The next time you are on Colin's radio show, can you please explain to him that season win totals do not include bowl games in college or playoff games in NFL?"
    edited December 2016
    Celebration penalties should be assessed on PAT not ensuing kickoff.