Betting Talk

Random thoughts and stuff

Comments

• jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Again.................wtf do we have replay? Kizer obvious knee down, ball not over goal line. They fked ND by allowing the TD and giving Col.Hogan 30 seconds and 3 TOs to come back. Btw though, one of the best viewing games of the year. Gus Johnson gives the telecast emotion.

I was shocked Shaw didn't use any of his TO's on defense. He left his team with 25 seconds left on his own 23 yard line. That is with ND scoring on 1st down. If they score on second or third, you are talking about under 20 seconds. Fortunate 15 yard face mask penalty against ND pushes ball up 15 yards to even give them a shot. Shaw got bailed out there. Though he really screwed up with the use of his time outs there.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Again.................wtf do we have replay? Kizer obvious knee down, ball not over goal line. They fked ND by allowing the TD and giving Col.Hogan 30 seconds and 3 TOs to come back. Btw though, one of the best viewing games of the year. Gus Johnson gives the telecast emotion.

I thought that was a good decision by the replay official to let the play stand. He was most likely down short, however there was no good camera angle to show it conclusively (all of the angles were either from up the field or from deep in the end zone, nothing right there at the line).
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    jammer wrote: »
    I was shocked Shaw didn't use any of his TO's on defense. He left his team with 25 seconds left on his own 23 yard line. That is with ND scoring on 1st down. If they score on second or third, you are talking about under 20 seconds. Fortunate 15 yard face mask penalty against ND pushes ball up 15 yards to even give them a shot. Shaw got bailed out there. Though he really screwed up with the use of his time outs there.

I was thinking that it was a tough call as to what to do when ND still had all 3 timeouts. But once they used that first one and there was under a minute left, it seemed like a no-brainer to call a timeout. Can't believe that he just let them keep running time off the clock (then again, I should believe it since coaches in 2015 just seem to have no concept of clock management at the end of halves/games).
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    I thought that was a good decision by the replay official to let the play stand. He was most likely down short, however there was no good camera angle to show it conclusively (all of the angles were either from up the field or from deep in the end zone, nothing right there at the line).

This is a national TV game with numerous cameras. Considering playoff implications, don't you think they shudda had the goal line covered? Cmon, they have their ex-officiating stooges(Pereira&Mike?) who can't agree with the decisions. Cut back the usage and use just the allowable challenges. The refs are intimated by the replay and sometimes are even afraid to make the call. Get full time refs and pay'em.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    With all the technology taking over the game-- why not just put a chip in the ball, and when goal line is crossed a big light comes on. Don't think anyone's thought of that before-- unless you consider ice hockey, and we all know it's not a real sport-- just boxing on ice---- and ice is for drinks.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    a booster with deep pockets must love Miles..what a mess.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    kcburgh wrote: »
    a booster with deep pockets must love Miles..what a mess.

The whole situation is kind of bizzare. They go 9-3 or better about every year in prolly the best conference year in and year out. Not saying I'm a huge fan of miles, but if they were to let him go they better be really careful on who they hire. One bad move could burry them for years. Look at Texas, their going 4-8 this year and are showing no sign of getting better anytime soon. Texas has got to get rid of Strong, not the right guy recruiting the state of Texas.
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    When they let the play stand I was wondering if ND had wished they reversed it. Then they would have to run another play, take more time off the clock and make Stanford use a TO.
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    rcmoney wrote: »
    When they let the play stand I was wondering if ND had wished they reversed it. Then they would have to run another play, take more time off the clock and make Stanford use a TO.

Shaw should count his blessings that ND scored on first down. He screwed up by not using his TO's earlier. He got bailed out there, and one the face mask call. He put his team in an almost unwinnable situation be leaving them with 25 seconds.
    edited November 2015
    Just wondering.................Did Pitt HC Tomlin fail math in High School? Personally, I think he guesses when deciding whether to go for 2 or not.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Just wondering.................Did Pitt HC Tomlin fail math in High School? Personally, I think he guesses when deciding whether to go for 2 or not.

believe the kicker is so terrible he doesn't even do math..
    edited November 2015
    They actually pay Mike Carey as a review consultant?? NFClue
  • Dave MasonDave Mason Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    and annoying
  • hornsfanhornsfan Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    jammer wrote: »
    Shaw should count his blessings that ND scored on first down. He screwed up by not using his TO's earlier. He got bailed out there, and one the face mask call. He put his team in an almost unwinnable situation be leaving them with 25 seconds.

am i the only one thinking shaw's decision to not go for two was the most egregious of all of his mistakes last night? was sitting there thinking that he was going to get roasted should ND score that TD and win the game. i consider him lucky that logan bailed him out and put that drive together to hit the FG. granted, i likely would still take him over charile strong for my horns...
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    hornsfan wrote: »
    am i the only one thinking shaw's decision to not go for two was the most egregious of all of his mistakes last night? was sitting there thinking that he was going to get roasted should ND score that TD and win the game. i consider him lucky that logan bailed him out and put that drive together to hit the FG. granted, i likely would still take him over charile strong for my horns...

Hornsfan- How much longer do you think they will give Strong?
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Hornsfan- How much longer do you think they will give Strong?

How about enough time to see if he can win with players HE recruited. JFC he's been there two years and you've been whining since his second game.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Only the Lions
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    The Sixers are beyond embarrassing, the league really needs to do something with how that franchise is being run
  • HatHat Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I Had really good team totals on SA and Phil.Should have known better
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    So, Jason Heyward is now worth $23M a year, holy fuck
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2015
    kane wrote: »
    So, Jason Heyward is now worth $23M a year, holy fuck

Top 40 offensive player last year, elite defender, He is coming into his prime years. If you think his offense will continue to improve or even stay around the 40 mark, his defense pushes him into a top 15-20 all-around player. In this day and age, over the next 6 years, what's it worth? You usually pay a little more for what you don't have in free agency, but it doesn't seem bad.
  • DeadMoneyDeadMoney Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    StevieY wrote: »
    Top 40 offensive player last year, elite defender, He is coming into his prime years. If you think his offense will continue to improve or even stay around the 40 mark, his defense pushes him into a top 15-20 all-around player. In this day and age, over the next 6 years, what's it worth? You usually pay a little more for what you don't have in free agency, but it doesn't seem awful.

He was considered the best prospect in baseball not long ago so mabe they think he is growing into his potential. It may have taken him a couple disappointing years in ATL to get better. Last year, he was very good so we'll see.
    edited December 2015
    Cub defense is....well not very good. He will be by far the best defender on the team.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    StevieY wrote: »
    Top 40 offensive player last year, elite defender, He is coming into his prime years. If you think his offense will continue to improve or even stay around the 40 mark, his defense pushes him into a top 15-20 all-around player. In this day and age, over the next 6 years, what's it worth? You usually pay a little more for what you don't have in free agency, but it doesn't seem bad.

He's a great defensive player, but offensively he's nothing special, and IMO he's not worth 23M a year, the Cubs are obviously in win now mode, so he'll definitely help them, but you'll never convince me he's worth the money they're paying him
    edited December 2015
    He's a great defensive player, but offensively he's nothing special, and IMO he's not worth 23M a year, the Cubs are obviously in win now mode, so he'll definitely help them, but you'll never convince me he's worth the money they're paying him

He was a top 40 offensive player last year and he is only 26 years old. The list of offensive players with a combined 13 WAR the last two years is small, especially ones available and just entering their prime. He also is a perfect fit for that team. He brings elite defense to a defenseless team. He brings a very good OBA to a team that has a monster middle of the order. He can give you 20 steals, and he may bring some extra power if he decides to be that type of guy again. There are very few all-around players like him in baseball, and when they go on the market, they will get paid. I'm a little surprised you are down on him. Heyward and Lorenzo Cain are very similar(and I like Cain too).
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    It's not that I'm down on him, I just don't think he's worth that kind of money, then again, every time I see these massive contracts handed out, my first reaction is the player isn't worth that much money, knowing Mike Trout makes $24M a year makes me question Heyward's deal, but I guess it's just the times we're living in. I had the same reaction when I saw Samardzija signing with SF, $18M a year for a pitcher who's got a career ERA of 4.09 and a WHIP of 1.278, and he's coming off a bad year.
    edited December 2015
    It's not that I'm down on him, I just don't think he's worth that kind of money, then again, every time I see these massive contracts handed out, my first reaction is the player isn't worth that much money, knowing Mike Trout makes $24M a year makes me question Heyward's deal, but I guess it's just the times we're living in. I had the same reaction when I saw Samardzija signing with SF, $18M a year for a pitcher who's got a career ERA of 4.09 and a WHIP of 1.278, and he's coming off a bad year.

It's all relative. Trout's contract was typical of buying arbitration years. He is getting a little more than he would have gotten thru the rest of his arbitration years and a little less than he would have gotten if he waited until his arb years were up. That's usually the way it works.

Samardzija contract is more of a "back to NL, back to being useful" contract. I've never been a big Samardzija fan and I wouldn't pay him that much, but if you tell me he is going to put up 2014 numbers, I'd give him that. Cubs 2013 or most of his games vs AL teams, no. Scary to pay a 30 yr old who has only had 1 year that fits this contract that much. If they get the 2013 version then it works for them.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I love the Dolphins throwback uniforms, I wish they would wear them all the time
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited December 2015
    What did you think of the throwback field? They really went all in.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    What did you think of the throwback field? They really went all in.

I thought the field looked good, I liked what they did in the end zones, but those uni's were awesome, I even liked the black cleats, they looked old school