Betting Talk

Uncut Gems movie

crashcrash Member
edited February 2020 in Sports Betting
Spoiler Alert if you are still planning on seeing it.

What did people think of the gambling scenes? Francesca isn't a good actor, not sure why he was cast.
The fact that Howard would place a bet without first asking the line was amateur hour; no gambler would do that or the bookie would shade him a full point or two. Also, has any degenerate ever done a parlay that included Winning the Opening Tip? I didn't even know that that was a thing. And would those correlated parlays be allowed? Lastly, no way Mohegan Sun would take that large a bet with props, would they?

I think we all know degenerate gamblers. I don't know one that is as bad as Howard is. Anybody? The movie certainly kept my interest but it isn't going to become a classic.

Comments

• jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited February 2020
    Still have to see it , now more so.
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited February 2020
    that movie gave me a headache and made me think I need some sort of medicine for nervousness
    edited February 2020
    YOU NEEDED A MOVIE TO FIND THAT OUT
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited February 2020
    LOL, no but the movie definitely increased it
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited February 2020
    Julia Fox though....my goodness
    edited February 2020
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited February 2020
    My wife and I both hated it. Think that Adam Sandler needs to stay in his lane.

But, we talked to friends of ours saying how bad it was, and they really liked it.

The whole gambling aspect of it was brutal.
  • paddyboy111paddyboy111 Senior Member
    edited February 2020
    TommyL wrote: »
    My wife and I both hated it. Think that Adam Sandler needs to stay in his lane.

But, we talked to friends of ours saying how bad it was, and they really liked it.

The whole gambling aspect of it was brutal.

I though it was excellent, the casting of non-actors went really well. The pacing was on point. I had a little trouble with Sandler as being too unafraid of physical threats. I recognize the feeling of having a hidden insight (Garnett’s increased confidence), but do you monetize that with an opening tip bet, or rather a “shots attempted” bet? Also the “parlay anything” at any price at Mohegan Sun seems like an unforced error.

On balance the directing/production/performance was so strong that I really enjoyed it despite the nerds-eye view of the unrealities of sports gamblin it depicts.