Betting Talk

WTF? Brazilian soccer ref pulls gun out on field VIDEO

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
A Brazilian soccer referee is facing disciplinary action for pulling a gun on the field during a red card dispute. Gabriel Murta was officiating an amateur game between Brumadinho and Amantes da Bola when tempers flared on the field following a red card. The referee was reportedly kicked and punched by a player from Amantes da Bola, which led to him brandishing the weapon.

Murta is a police officer by profession according to The Guardian, which explains why he owns a handgun, but not why he had it on the field. A representative from the referee's association in Brazil stated that Muta felt threatened, but an inquiry is underway.

Amateur soccer in Brazil is no stranger to violence. In 2013 a referee was killed and beheaded by fans as retaliation after an altercation with a player led to the referee stabbing the player to death.

<iframe src="https://embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/sport/video/2015/sep/29/referee-pulls-out-gun-during-brazilian-football-match-video"; width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comments

• TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Jake T. wrote: »
    A Brazilian soccer referee is facing disciplinary action for pulling a gun on the field during a red card dispute.

Just disciplinary action? Hopefully they mean no longer allowed to officiate.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    Just disciplinary action? Hopefully they mean no longer allowed to officiate.

This clearly shows a misunderstanding of a different culture,
    Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this violence either, but if you know the Latin American leagues you would've known why he had the gun on him. Probably not the first time he's been attacked. Next time you're getting kicked by 5 players, while there are also 50 spectators waiting to lay their hands on you, you'd wish you had a gun too.

FWIW, He knows he shouldn't be referee-ing any games anymore. Never mind the discipline. After branding that gun he's a marked man. It's the sorry state of some societies. He shouldn't step on or near a soccer-field again,.......for his own good.

(on a side note:
    If you administer an IQ test to all the soccer players in the 5 biggest European leagues,
    what percentage of players will score above 90?)
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    This clearly shows a misunderstanding of a different culture,
    Don't get me wrong, I don't condone this violence either, but if you know the Latin American leagues you would've known why he had the gun on him. Probably not the first time he's been attacked. Next time you're getting kicked by 5 players, while there are also 50 spectators waiting to lay their hands on you, you'd wish you had a gun too.

Exactly. The example given in the original post, while extreme, pretty much demonstrates your point...
    Jake T. wrote:
    Amateur soccer in Brazil is no stranger to violence. In 2013 a referee was killed and beheaded by fans as retaliation after an altercation with a player led to the referee stabbing the player to death.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fvNq50jxh2c"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bet this ref wishes he had a gun.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    That player is such a pussy!!
    Look at him getting aggressive ONLY when he gets support/affirmation from other players/team members. If he had been alone he would've done nothing. What a coward!
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fvNq50jxh2c"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bet this ref wishes he had a gun.

HAHAHAHAHA check out the hugeeeeee fail around 47 seconds.