Betting Talk

Yogi Berra Dies at 90

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
I grew ip watching him play with some of the greatest Yankee teams and always loveed his humor and intervews.
Great Memories. RIP.

Comments

• buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    One of the greatest of all time and a true legend. RIP
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    my dad ranked his 3 favorite Yankees for me this morning....Yogi, Joe D and Mickey Mantle in that order...I told him those were the 3 players I remember him talking about the most when I was a kid...
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I use to love watching him hit with his upper cut warmup and was the best bad ball hitter of all time. back to back MVP's and a great ballplayer. A lot of the younger gen baseball fans and only know him for his yogiisum don't realize how great he was. To me what was most amazing 5 times he had more Homeruns then strike outs in a season.
    edited September 2015
    Don't forget OT, he'll go down in history as the all-time winningest ballplayer with 10 world series wins. No one will ever touch that record! I always told my dad he must have been the greatest lucky charm the Yankees ever had with his record as a coach, manager and player.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Casey Stengel used to said I never play a game without my man. Look at the defensive numbers he and records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Berra
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Jackie Robinson was a great player, but the clip we keep seeing over and over of him stealing home during the WS. Yogi had the plate blocked and the ump still called him safe. He took no shit from the Boss or Phil Linz. RIP

Somehow I cant imagine Jorge Posada or Andy Pettitte in the monuments along side Yogi. Wtf, they might as well add Horace Clarke.
    edited September 2015
    The ump needed help on the play, he was stuck behind Berra and couldn't see him apply the tag before Robinson ever got to the plate. Just read a former colleague at MLB Productions say the only time he ever saw Yogi lose his temper was when they tried to interview him about the '55 Series. Before a question was asked, Berra loudly growled, 'he was out!'
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    munson15 wrote: »
    The ump needed help on the play,

I hear what ur saying Munson, but in those days on that play the HP ump makes the call and it's final.
    edited September 2015
    yeah, you're right...I have a still photo somewhere of Berra applying the tag in front of the plate...was a running gag with my dad, every year on Yogi's birthday I'd tell him how old Mr. Berra was and add 'I know... Robinson was out.'