Betting Talk

How come a lot of posters or posts are patronizing?

winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
and condescending? During discussions.

What is with this disposition?

Guys, were all friends here and I appreciate everyone's contributions.

I hate to imagine where I would be without this helpful board and its contributors.

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2015
    I've been helping run/moderate forums for a decade and I've been asking myself that question since day one.

I don't get it and never will.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    winner13, You have to understand some people want to keep their edge a secret and how can you blame them? People put in years of hard work to be where they are today, so when someone posts a clue to that edge even if not significant enough it can still help complete the puzzle.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    winner13, You have to understand some people want to keep their edge a secret and how can you blame them? People put in years of hard work to be where they are today, so when someone posts a clue to that edge even if not significant enough it can still help complete the puzzle.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, it's incredibly simple to keep knowledge to yourself without being patronizing nor condescending.
  • katwkatw Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I rarely post here because I don't keep a record.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Some guys get sick of the same ?s asked by the same ppl that have been around the boards for a long time.

#1 Rain shortened questions. "Why can't I get paid? The game went over in the 4th inning."

#2 Info that readily available by Google or Bing. Too fuken lazy. Hear me Rhino??

#3 Rules that are asked here that should be directed to place played.

#4 Dumb ass theories and trends that only work in hindsight.

#5 Should I hedge my bet?

Enuf.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2015
    I'd say it's true of the internet in general, not just on this site (or on sports forums in general). It's one of the things that really keeps me off of most forums. When I'm posting, I'll act the exact same as if I were talking to you face to face. I don't have an internet "persona" or anything like that. I used to post on some Penn State football/US Soccer websites and some other gambling forums from time to time, and it's just -EV for my life as there is no way that people can be such d-bags in real life. It's what I like about this place, you'll get some people with a chip on their shoulder from time to time, but I think we're better than most other places on the net when it comes to that type of stuff (ie, how in the year 2015 is there still so much racism and homophobia on most gambling forums?). The vast majority of discussions are civil, and people seem to have at least some level of respect for each other. I don't think it's about not wanting to give away an edge as much as it's that some sharper people have a pretty big ego and want others to know that they're the smartest guy in the room (though it's also true with successful people in many walks of life).
  • katwkatw Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    This is a great forum and over the years. there have been many. no longer with us that I will always remember. Great posting here .No matter who you are. you can't always be right but you have the guts to throw yhe pick in. I appreciate the effort from everyone at BT.
    edited September 2015
    Goats wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with anything you said, it's incredibly simple to keep knowledge to yourself without being patronizing nor condescending.

Yes Goats I agree.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    If you want to keep edges secret or not answer the same questions a few times a yr.....why are you posting on a internet message board about sports wagering??
    edited September 2015
    Stack, are you asking me or Ron?
    edited September 2015
    I was just speaking in generalities.

Anyone who posts on a message board, who isnt backed by someone who is proven / proven on their own and followed. Has no business big timing other people and their knowledge / lack thereof. Then again I doubt someone who is proven would take the time to be condescending to someone, at least in this environment.
    edited September 2015
    I don't think most of it is condescending, because like Ron stated earlier, the same questions appear over and over by the same posters for some reason and it could be excused a couple of times due to them not comprehending the answer correctly. But when its repeated constantly by the same people you start to wonder if it's done on spite, or out of pure laziness on their part, by not doing any further research on their own.
    edited September 2015
    I get ya. My point is....this isnt the Yale of sports betting. With all due respect to Ed.

You get what ya pay for. Ive asked the same question multiple times on here Im sure since Ive been here. Id hate to think someone is keeping score and holding it against me.

I hear what youre saying though. Thats why I was all for the "new direction" a few yrs ago.

I think some people on here think they are better than they are. Im not offering examples. Everyone here has seen instances of people being dicks to people posting. Its not a pissing contest. We all wanna win and learning helps winning. We try that here so its already 100x better than everywhere else.
    edited September 2015
    I wont give negative examples. but ill give a positive one. there is at least 3 times a year I ask a soccer question. Im sure Ive probably reasked the same one before. But Tommy and Goats are always respectful and answer like it was the first time. I only know this is true because every yr I bet some futbol and need guidance.
  • ugadawgs7769ugadawgs7769 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Nature of beasts in forum world. This one 10 times better than most at keeping it in check. Being behind keyboard allows you to smart off, get annoyed easier and feel superior to basically whoever.

Your trolled if you win, you talked down to if you dont know, your blasted if you make a mistake. Look at the bright side, at least its not SBR, TGF or any of the other "sports gambling" sites where sports gambling is maybe 10% of the conversations.
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Goats wrote: »
    I've been helping run/moderate forums for a decade and I've been asking myself that question since day one.

I don't get it and never will.

Does being a moderator pay?

(I'm serious)
    edited September 2015
    I'll take OBI for example, he has been a great help to many by posting free online courses on statistics for people who wanted to put in that 1 hour a day and learn something that will improve their overall return. Durito also helps when he has time and provides the correct answers to many people as does SteveY. So like you said, yes this place is a 100x better than everywhere else. But sometimes providing to much help can come back and bite you in the ass. I tried to bail Golfer out one day about a year ago with 2 horses he didn't catch it in time because I posted it with 2 minutes to post. End result BOL closed my horse account and said I was involved with race fixing..LOL But I'm happy they paid me, because if they didn't I was responsible for half of that money to another party who doesn't like to hear any excuses when its time to collect.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Does being a moderator pay?

(I'm serious)
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    I'll take OBI for example, he has been a great help to many by posting free online courses on statistics for people who wanted to put in that 1 hour a day and learn something that will improve their overall return. Durito also helps when he has time and provides the correct answers to many people as does SteveY.

I appreciate the props, wraps,
    but I should totally deflect to Durito here, he started the thread,
    And yes, I'm thankful too he started it.

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/175965-Massive-online-courses