Betting Talk

Fantasy Sports Boom

RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
I'm not involved because I need some questions answered. After that, I might consider it. Here are a few questions for those in-the-know.

#1 Transparency. How do I know it's 'on the up'? If lottery ping pong balls can be rigged what's stopping this enterprise. Computer ppl on the inside were even gaffing Pick4's and 6's.

#2 Take out. IOW the rake. What % of my dollar is being paid back?

#3 Who are the watchdogs in this industry?

Comments

• Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Not answering any of your questions, but I thought it was interesting to share:

http://calvinayre.com/2015/09/04/business/tiny-sliver-daily-fantasy-sports-players-earn-bulk-profits/
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Ron,

This is a legal racket that chops 20% everyday all week 24/7. and pays affiliates a % of the chop. My brother plays it and does okay. just like you said with the other rackets like Lottery's this one is no different. Any network admin working there can always collude with certain players and change their lineups midway through the game in Gpps.
    Draft kings headquarters in Boston real close to the Boston Garden. Friend of mine all ready spotted 2 of them in a bar getting wasted after work :) On the insurance part in reality nothing is safe. Watchdogs?? forget about it, this shit moves like lightning once the games start.
    Funniest thing is they state it's not gambling, but then WTF is it?? Guess what it reads on a credit card statement? "Leisure Activities" LOL are they fucking kidding me. It's a racket Ron, and people are moving in fast to grab whatever they can.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    Ron,

This is a legal racket that chops 20% everyday all week 24/7. and pays affiliates a % of the chop.

From what I've seen, it's more like 10%. And that can be drastically reduced with things like bonuses and overlays.
    edited September 2015
    Just an example, In the 50/50 games they chop 20% on the winnings. You put up 1.00 you win 0.80 and you get back 1.80
  • bhollowaybholloway Junior Member
    edited September 2015
    Hey guys. I cover the DFS industry for the BT sister site, DailyFantasyTalk.com. I'll try to provide answers as I can.

Rake percentages on each contest at all the major sites (and a few of the mid-tiers) can be found in real time at superlobby.com They vary from site to site and contest to contest, but 10-15% is the norm with a larger cut taken from the larger tournaments. 10 percent is the standard on head-to-head contests (each player bets $1 = $2 pool with a $1.80 payout and the operator taking .20, or 10 percent of total).

As for watchdogs, it's unregulated, so there's not a ton of accountability. The best thing players can do is play on FSTA sites -- those at least agree to adhere to certain guidelines, such as the segregation of player funds from operating funds. We did a story on that a little while back (when FantasyUp and Ballr were having trouble paying players) and listed all the operators who were FSTA members.

As noted, FSTA membership doesn't guarantee ethical behavior, but few problems have been reported for these sites.

Subjectively speaking, most of these guys appear to be doing business the right way. Some, clearly, do not. Given the lack of oversight, the onus is on the players to be smart about where they put their money. Anecdotally, I've played for a little over three years on the big sites (FanDuel and DraftKings) and to a lesser degree on a number of the smaller ones, and have never experienced a problem accessing my money.
    edited September 2015
    Your right it is 10% on the total. If a 50/50 game has 20 entrants paying 1.00 each totals to $20. House steps in takes $2 off the top leaving $18 to split with the top 10 contestants which get $1.80 each.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Your right it is 10% on the total. If a 50/50 game has 20 entrants paying 1.00 each totals to $20. House steps in takes $2 off the top leaving $18 to split with the top 10 contestants which get $1.80 each.

The vig on Draftkings 50/50's and h2h varies based on the entry amount. The low level games $1 games are obviously the worst (-125 on $1 games i think) There is a $1,000 double up wiwth 11 entries, pays 5 equivalent of -110 and head to heads at that level are equvilent of -106
    edited September 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    I'm not involved because I need some questions answered. After that, I might consider it. Here are a few questions for those in-the-know.

#1 Transparency. How do I know it's 'on the up'? If lottery ping pong balls can be rigged what's stopping this enterprise. Computer ppl on the inside were even gaffing Pick4's and 6's.

#2 Take out. IOW the rake. What % of my dollar is being paid back?

#3 Who are the watchdogs in this industry?

1) there is none
    2) it sucks
    3) there are none

imo dk and fd will both go bankrupt
    edited September 2015
    Always laying -120 is the name of the game for DFS... and if the govt legalizes sports betting you can kiss the -105 and -110 lines goodbye.
    edited September 2015
    durito wrote: »
    1) there is none
    2) it sucks
    3) there are none

They wont go bankrupt that quick chopping 10%, but who knows what their invested in. Hopefully it's not the bubblicious US Markets
    edited September 2015
    The Gpps are 10% maybe higher and this where all the get rich quick people play. :laugh:

Here is one from DK coming this Sunday

Entries: 155245/572.5K Entry: $20 Prizes: $10,000,000

PRIZE PAYOUTS
    1st $2,000,000.00
    2nd $1,000,000.00
    3rd $500,000.00
    4th $250,000.00
    5th $150,000.00
    6th $100,000.00
    7th - 8th $75,000.00
    9th - 10th $50,000.00
    11th - 12th $40,000.00
    13th - 14th $30,000.00
    15th - 16th $25,000.00
    17th - 18th $20,000.00
    19th - 20th $15,000.00
    21st - 25th $10,000.00
    26th - 30th $7,500.00
    31st - 40th $6,000.00
    41st - 50th $5,000.00
    51st - 75th $4,000.00
    76th - 100th $3,000.00
    101st - 150th $2,500.00
    151st - 200th $2,000.00
    201st - 300th $1,500.00
    301st - 400th $1,000.00
    401st - 600th $750.00
    601st - 800th $500.00
    801st - 1000th $400.00
    1001st - 1250th $300.00
    1251st - 1500th $250.00
    1501st - 1750th $200.00
    1751st - 2000th $150.00
    2001st - 4000th $100.00
    4001st - 6000th $75.00
    6001st - 8000th $60.00
    8001st - 15000th $50.00
    15001st - 25000th $40.00
    25001st - 45000th $35.00
    45001st - 75000th $30.00
    75001st - 125700th $25.00
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited September 2015

care to elaborate?
    edited September 2015
    About one week ago or so my brother was telling me how this one guy that works with rotogrinders won 2 GPP pools in 1 night for 180K total.

Befriended Jimmy Nelson on Twitter for weeks or maybe months. Then when Jimmy pitched against Cleveland this guy aggravated the shit out of him on twitter that day with all sorts of crap. Twitter later deleted the tweets and Jimmy blocked the guy. Guy stacks the Indians against him that night in 2 GPP's and wins 180k . :clap:
    edited September 2015
    care to elaborate?

Read the article in post nr2 and google how much they're spending on advertisement.
    edited September 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    Read the article in post nr2 and google how much they're spending on advertisement.

That and plus don't forget the Lobbyists who made this legal and have the credit card companies label it as "Leisure Activities" LOL
    The Lobbyists get a kick back from these major sites for as long as they remain in business. Some one Please Call "Sammy the Bull" to straighten these bastards out.. :D
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Some one Please Call "Sammy the Bull" to straighten these bastards out.. :D

Wraps, STB will never see daylight again. They put him in the WPP for fed rats and while living a new life in the southwest he decides he wants to enter the drug business. Busted again. I guess crime/greed is inherent to some.
    edited September 2015
    care to elaborate?

don't see there being enough long term fish to justify the amount they are spending
    edited September 2015
    don't see there being enough long term fish to justify the amount they are spending

What happens during football season will be a huge determining factor for the future of the industry. Last season, growth was astronomical. FD pulled in 63 percent of its revenue in the last quarter of 2014. Obviously with the amounts they're spending (especially DK -- now the No. 1 advertiser in America), the big sites are betting it will happen again.

It's obviously too early to tell, but some took the massive overlays in CFB Week 1 as a bad omen.

If both get through football season with reasonable growth, they should be in good shape. Both have brought in over $400 million in private capital, and though they're burning through it, they're not in danger of sinking quickly. What happens next is what will be interesting to watch -- and might be out of their hands entirely.

Both seem headed toward an IPO, but volatility in the markets (if it persists) could cool reception and force them to opt for another round of private fundraising. That hasn't been a problem thus far; FD brought in $275 and DK $300M in August -- but at some point the question becomes, how much equity is left to sell?

Should be fascinating to watch.
    edited September 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Wraps, STB will never see daylight again. They put him in the WPP for fed rats and while living a new life in the southwest he decides he wants to enter the drug business. Busted again. I guess crime/greed is inherent to some.

Yeah, he caught a lucky break and fucked it up.
    edited September 2015
    Come to think of it,
    the leagues need them to exist to maintain consumer/fan interest in (especially the meaningless) games.

= advertising dollars.
    edited September 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    Come to think of it,
    the leagues need them to exist to maintain consumer/fan interest in (especially the meaningless) games.

= advertising dollars.

That's gonna play a big role in any ensuing legal issues. The leagues have a vested interest in the success of these companies (literally: FD is partnered with the NBA, DK with MLB, and most franchises in the big four North American leagues have deals with one of the two). That's bought the DFS industry a significant amount of lobbying sway.
    edited September 2015
    Both seem headed toward an IPO

I can't wait for this to happen I will be going short to no end and if Nouriel Roubini says "Belly up it's a certainty" like he did with Lehman Bros I will then be selling naked calls in the options market.
    edited September 2015
    Come to think of it,

The fans will spend all their money playing DFS they won't even be able to afford to buy tickets to go see a game. There are so many NBA venues that are more than half empty all the time and that's not counting how they all raise their ticket prices each year to make matters worse for the consumer. The Inflation monster is also a bitch to deal with and if not hedged properly a ZERO they should become.
    edited September 2015
    BTW, I can't wait to see which evil banking empire takes these 2 public
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    just curious what is the game the "experts" are targeting? forget the million dollar gimmicks..what games are they playing? or is that top secret?
    edited September 2015
    kcburgh wrote: »
    just curious what is the game the "experts" are targeting? forget the million dollar gimmicks..what games are they playing? or is that top secret?

Atlanta QB so says my brother a dfs player. BTW, he also says never play more than 2 players from the same team in a GPP or cash game.
    edited September 2015
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: DraftKings CEO says company is in active conversations with bankers about strategy, including IPO possibility - Reuters</p>— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) <a href=" 10, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MORE: DraftKings CEO says would consider FanDuel merger; FanDuel CEO says not interested, co. to decide on fundraising course in Jan - RTRS</p>— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) <a href=" 10, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    edited September 2015
    Obi, any mention who the bankers are?
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Obi, any mention who the bankers are?

Stinks of Goldman....
    edited September 2015
    Coops wrote: »
    Stinks of Goldman....

I hope so Coops, so I can short with both hands after 30 days that's if Goldman don't do damage before that.