Betting Talk

ESPN attempts to revitalize SportsCenter with Van Pelt

Comments

• kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I think it's a great idea, to actually talk about betting and point spreads, and not just alluding to it. My only fear is, SVP has some tout on the show, I can see him bringing on a Phil Steele, or an RJ Bell, I really hope that doesn't happen
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I believe Steele is on the payroll now..amazing to see DK is outspending McDonald's on advertising.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I wudda drug tested Neil Everett. The only way to keep the high he possessed is artificIally.
  • sosoangrysosoangry Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Mention sports betting and lines??!! But what about the kids, the young viewers??! Oh, sorry, that's why they're airing it at midnight, I presume.... Never mind, our innocence remains protected.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited September 2015
    I found it pretty boring in solo anchor format. I in general like SVP and know what they are trying to do adding in commentary to the stories, but man that was tough to finish. I stayed on just for the bad beats which I knew I'd enjoy (wow colorado st) but I wont be making an effort to make sure I see that show nightly.
  • sosoangrysosoangry Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    I found it pretty boring in solo anchor format. I in general like SVP and know what they are trying to do adding in commentary to the stories, but man that was tough to finish. I stayed on just for the bad beats which I knew I'd enjoy (wow colorado st) but I wont be making an effort to make sure I see that show nightly.

Agreed, a tough slog. I imagine SVP is their answer to departed Olbermann?

But ESPN has been edging closer to fully acknowledging sports betting for some time now. Chad Millman has been doing his podcast for years (presumably it's popular), and then there's ESPN's Chalk section, which is all about sports betting.

Just think, ESPN started in 1979 and only in the last few years are they recognizing sports betting. It took them 30+ years to just "go there". What does that mean for legalization? Another 10 years??
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Guys, remember it was the first show, given some time I'm sure it will be better. They need to figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm an SVP fan, let's see how the show looks in a few weeks, fairer to judge it then
  • ugadawgs7769ugadawgs7769 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I like SVP as well and will give it some time. Really hoping we dont get the RJ Bell or Steele as regulars.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I like SVP as well and will give it some time. Really hoping we dont get the RJ Bell or Steele as regulars.

That's who you're going to get because those type of guys are entertaining and this is entertainment after all. A real professional would be the most boring guest ever. No trade secrets and could just talk about the industry and other general things. That's not what the masses want and thus: that's not what drives viewership northward.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    blackbull wrote: »
    That's who you're going to get because those type of guys are entertaining and this is entertainment after all. A real professional would be the most boring guest ever. No trade secrets and could just talk about the industry and other general things. That's not what the masses want and thus: that's not what drives viewership northward.

This post is spot on
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    The SVP show is pretty good, looks like he's found his footing. It's tough to do a show basically by yourself, but he's very talented