Betting Talk

Al Arbour

kanekane Senior Member
edited August 2015 in Sports Betting
Just heard Al Arbour passed away. As a lifelong Islanders fan, I'm saddened to hear of this. He was one of the best coaches in NHL history, and his Islander teams of the early eighties were one of the best dynasties in sports, he was 82 years old, RIP

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2015
    kane wrote: »
    Just heard Al Arbour passed away. As a lifelong Islanders fan, I'm saddened to hear of this. He was one of the best coaches in NHL history, and his Islander teams of the early eighties were one of the best dynasties in sports, he was 82 years old, RIP

I was waiting for your post. :) Probably the best non-Montreal teams in NHL history during that run. Greatness sees greatness. Scottie Bowman selected him as St Louis 1st captain in their expansion year and when Bowman left St Louis in the middle of year 4(after 3 straight finals runs), they made Arbour a player-coach. The rest is history.

No comments about Chocolate Thunder? In the old days when I was a kid, it didn't matter if you were a Laker, Celtic, or Sixer fan, everyone loved Darryl Dawkins. 6'11 250 lbs men just didn't do what he did back then. He wasn't a superstar but he was never given the chance because those Sixer's teams were so deep. For the youngsters that don't know who he is, the collapsible rims you see now were invented because of him. He shattered two backboards, one the entire backboard shattered and came down but the 2nd one, he spiderwebs the backboard and ripped the rim right out of it. He was a big man, but he flipped the switch, terrifying on the court, gentile giant off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lszr5JGNA7o