Betting Talk

Time warner vs direct TV

golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
edited August 2015 in Sports Betting
First let me say, I know absolutely nothing about tv's (electronics in general.).

Me and my wife just got a new tv . It's a Sony 4k TV. We currently have time Warner but apparently
they do not have 4k yet. I've been told direct TV has 4k. So I'm thinking about changing us over to direct TV so i can maximize my clarity in the new tv.

Please tell me yalls thoughts on direct TV, if I should go with direct TV (which I'm leaning towards) how can I get the best deal when talking to them on the phone? Any advice ?

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    There's a few of us here that have been with Directv for over 20 years and the service is great IMO Bad weather sometimes mess's with the HD channel but that's rare and the CS is second to none. Maybe Ya'all should give it try. As for start-up maybe someone can help.
  • turksureturksure Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Switched to DirectTV several months ago, had an old Dish Network system so it was a big update. I like the software better and you can get first year of NFL package comped with new account, free movie channels for 3 months, etc.

Don't you get offers in the mail from them weekly? Got a $200 Visa Gift card also. So far it's cheaper than dish and better for sports. GL
    edited August 2015
    turksure wrote: »
    Switched to DirectTV several months ago, had an old Dish Network system so it was a big update. I like the software better and you can get first year of NFL package comped with new account, free movie channels for 3 months, etc.

Don't you get offers in the mail from them weekly? Got a $200 Visa Gift card also. So far it's cheaper than dish and better for sports. GL

As you get time in the company down the road you call an ask for the retention dept and ask about any promotional's they have going on and it's always something to save you money. Maybe a little different now that AT&T bought them out but IMO there still far and away the best out there for picture,sound and CS. Have to put your time in But even with a year with them it's always worth a call and it's worth it to be nice and respectful because charm will always get them to fine you something else they may have over-looked or not.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Bad weather sometimes mess's with the HD channel but that's rare

Unless you live in the lightning capital of the country. :( Cable is one of the few things in life I choose to purchase knowing it's not the best product/price but I watch/record way too much TV to deal with "loss of signal." I have no doubt it's the right choice for most of the country though and would seem to make sense in this case when you factor in the 4K thing, just felt like venting. My wife's local relatives have DirecTV and are happy with it. I cringe though if we're visiting during an important sporting event and storms roll in.
    edited August 2015
    You know Goats the funny thing is you have the option of taking it off the HD channel and it seems to work almost all the time. But as you say depending on where you live has to be taken into consideration.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    You know Goats the funny thing is you have the option of taking it off the HD channel and it seems to work almost all the time. But as you say depending on where you live has to be taken into consideration.

Yeah, I know nothing about just losing HD. I'm familiar with the screen freezing and a box popping up saying something about loss of signal. Plenty of people down here use DirecTV and claim it doesn't happen often. Maybe it doesn't or maybe my tolerance is just far lower than average.
  • 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    First let me say, I know absolutely nothing about tv's (electronics in general.).

Me and my wife just got a new tv . It's a Sony 4k TV. We currently have time Warner but apparently
    they do not have 4k yet. I've been told direct TV has 4k. So I'm thinking about changing us over to direct TV so i can maximize my clarity in the new tv.

Please tell me yalls thoughts on direct TV, if I should go with direct TV (which I'm leaning towards) how can I get the best deal when talking to them on the phone? Any advice ?

Are you sure that DirectTV can broadcast hd in 4K ? I thought we were years away from 4K because the content providers require all kinds of super expensive equipment. A nerd friend of mine told me some channels are not even in 1080p yet.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    2sportguy wrote: »
    Are you sure that DirectTV can broadcast hd in 4K ? I thought we were years away from 4K because the content providers require all kinds of super expensive equipment. A nerd friend of mine told me some channels are not even in 1080p yet.

I don't think there are any 4K channels yet. It's going to be a while before we have channels full of content created in 4K.
    edited August 2015
    So is there any benefits to buying a 4k tv today ?
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I haven't heard many good things about Time Warner...

Can't beat DirecTV for sports IMO.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Not really. There's just not much content. A lot of stuff is being filmed in 4K, but there's still very little available. There isn't much 4K content available because not many people have 4K TVs, and not many people are buying 4K TVs because there isn't much 4K content... So I guess technically by buying a 4K TV, you would be contributing to the cause, but It's still a ways off.
    edited August 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    Not really. There's just not much content. A lot of stuff is being filmed in 4K, but there's still very little available. There isn't much 4K content available because not many people have 4K TVs, and not many people are buying 4K TVs because there isn't much 4K content... So I guess technically by buying a 4K TV, you would be contributing to the cause, but It's still a ways off.

That is what I thought, thanks.
  • BobyosaiBobyosai Member
    edited August 2015
    Not much is currently broadcast in 4K, the World Cup was, but from what I understand the NFL will broadcast in 4K a year from now, the 2016 season
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I always hear about Direct TV issues during storms living outside DC, I remember losing signal only a hand full of times(about once year), and one of those times was a hurricane.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Jake T. wrote: »
    I haven't heard many good things about Time Warner...

They add the P12 channel yet?
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited August 2015
  • CirclejerkCirclejerk Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Jake T. wrote: »

I do not agree. I live in LA & I'm a lifelong Dodger fan & a huge Pac 12 fan & unfortunately I follow the Lakers as well. They kinda have the LA sports fans by the short hairs right now. I don't mind because I got a great deal & their internet service is very fast. (at least in my experience)
    Just my two cents. GL!
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks guys. So basically there is no point to switch networks in the hopes of getting 4k channels. I don't know why I was told that direct TV had some 4k channels.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. So basically there is no point to switch networks in the hopes of getting 4k channels. I don't know why I was told that direct TV had some 4k channels.

The only reason to switch would be for the sports pack--

Sports Pack Channel lineup
    681 Altitude Sports & Entertainment
    620 BeIN SPORTS English
    696 Comcast SportsNet Bay Area
    698 Comcast SportsNet California
    665 Comcast SportsNet Chicago
    642 Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
    630 Comcast SportsNet New England
    1 Customer Information Channel
    614 ESPN Classic
    615 ESPN Goal Line
    686 FS Arizona
    661 FS Cincinnati
    663 FS Detroit
    654 FS Florida
    671 FS Midwest
    668 FS North
    660 FS Ohio
    694 FS San Diego
    646 FS South
    692 FS West
    676 FSN Southwest
    667 Longhorn Network
    634 Madison Square Garden
    640 Mid-Atlantic Sports Network
    719 MLB Network Strike Zone
    635 MSG Plus
    628 New England Sports Network
    606 1606* Outdoor Channel, The
    693 Prime Ticket
    687 ROOT Sports Northwest
    659 ROOT Sports Pittsburgh
    683 ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain
    639 SportsNet New York (RSN)
    649 SportSouth
    662 SportsTime Ohio (RSN)
    653 Sun Sports
    602 TVG - The Interactive Horseracing Network
    625 1000* Universal Sports
    455 Univision Deportes
    631 YES

As far as weather goes, the only times it goes out is during severe thunderstorms or heavy snowfall (out here in Nevada mines goes out due to rain maybe a couple of times a year-- my Sister in Texas has her's go out a couple of times a month during thunderstorm season) Also, if you live where you get wet snow or ice storms make sure the dish is not on the roof-- you might need to trudge out to it to wipe snow or ice off-- mine's just above head high in the back of the house. (I've had it down due to wet snow freezing on it once in 5 years-- of course during a football game.)
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2015
    There are sports benefits beyond the Sports Pack and Sunday ticket if you're a golf, tennis, or soccer fan. There are additional channels for the golf majors, tennis majors, and Champions League soccer games. Ie when the Masters comes around, you'll get channels with the featured groups, Amen Corner, and 15/16 (the same channels that you'd find online). For tennis, you get 5 courts worth of coverage in the majors with every match on the top 5 courts. And note that the Sports Pack is awesome for college sports, but pro games will be blacked out.

As far as outages, mine will usually go out around 5-6 times a year for somewhere between one minute and fifteen minutes (during the strongest of storms). But I'm sure you'll hear different things from different people depending on their weather patterns and how perfectly their dish is aligned (ie, if it's not aligned just right, it'll likely be more sensitive).