Betting Talk

What's your read on Penn State QB Hackenberg?

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited September 2015 in Sports Betting
Has elite physical tools as far as size and arm strength.

Looked like a star in year 1.

Year 2 was not good but Penn State was learning new schemes and their offensive line was a trainwreck.

Do you expect him to bounce back this year or was his freshman year an illusion?

Comments

• lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Freshman year was somewhat of a fluke IMO. He was a product of QB guru Bill O'Brien in 2013. After O'brien left, Hackenberg struggled - I don't think that was a coincidence.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2015
    It's really been an interesting two years for him. O'Brien did a great job as a QB coach and play caller at PSU, and probably made Hackenberg look better than he was his freshman year. The other factor there was Allen Robinson, as he made so many catches in traffic on jump balls and also really helped out Hack's stats with quick little screens that he'd break for big plays.

Last year, the o-line was a disaster, the WRs not quite as good, and Hack lost his confidence. When he did have time, he was still throwing off his back foot, making some poor decisions, and just rushing things and missing open guys. There were some chemistry issues there, and hopefully another season of experience and maturity will help him out.

He's got all the tools to be a great QB. He's got a nice group of WRs and TEs to throw to this season, but the o-line is still a question mark. I'm a little surprised to see how high he's projected to go in some of the NFL mock drafts that are out there, but scouts seem to love his size and ability to throw the ball.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that he's back this year. I heard from a pretty credible source late last season that he was pretty unhappy and would be exploring his options (either dropping down to play right away, or looking for another school even though it mean sitting this year).
  • zkc100zkc100 Member
    edited August 2015
    TommyL wrote: »

If we can get him some protection, he's a great QB. Receivers were young last year, they will be better at running routes this year as well. The talent is there for the receivers for sure. Should be fun to watch.
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Rumors circulating today that Peyton Manning said Hackenberg was the best QB at Manning Camp.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I don't want to overreact to just one game, but Hack has some terrible numbers today, not watching the game, but his numbers are ugly
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Penn St may have one of the worst O Lines of all time.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »

Boy is that an understatement. They suck. No improvement from last year.
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    The conservative play calling did not help hit at all (or is an indicator he's not that good).
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »

I figured they'd improve after being garbage last year but nope. Still garbage.

Or.... is Temple's defense that good? 11 starters back on D for the Owls.

Probably a combination of both.