Betting Talk

Stock Market thread

Comments

• eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Coops wrote: »
    Friday expiry. I probably buy puts 80% of the time and calls 20% of the time. Being so in the market for a living I seem to be always pessimistic. Are u in NYC also Eug?

Live in Brooklyn, work by wall and water downtown
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    eug44 wrote: »
    Live in Brooklyn, work by wall and water downtown

live on long island, work on 50th and 6th... used to work down there @ DB, 60 wall. Have a buddy who works @ citi right by you, Sandy flooded there basements and he's working from home until end of March. Ive been fixed income my whole career, but work with equity guys on some structured stuff so they tell me what to do, lol.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    live on long island, work on 50th and 6th... used to work down there @ DB, 60 wall. Have a buddy who works @ citi right by you, Sandy flooded there basements and he's working from home until end of March. Ive been fixed income my whole career, but work with equity guys on some structured stuff so they tell me what to do, lol.

Don't know if I ever mentioned this before but lived and grew up in Long Beach NY before moving family to Vegas, been told I wouldn't recognize Long Beach after Sandy decimated it to the extent that the militia came in for a period of time. Pretty sad, feel real bad for people I still know back there. You can say I work in the fixed income arena in a sense (more closely related to MBS) should be interesting friday, could just be testing the upper end of the range for interest rates (lower end prices), if the report comes out stronger than expected it could be trigger that opens the flood gates out of the bond market, again very pivotal day possibly. GL with your trade
    edited January 2013
    Reb - It may be me being a Bear, but I think we correct real soon. I bought some SPY 150 Puts that expire Friday. Got them at 40 cents today, purely gamble but I think we miss on employment friday and we have a big down day.

Out at 55 cents :)
    edited January 2013

small world, I worked at Citi for 5 years at 390 greenwich, my wife use to work at 60 wall. my building also got destroyed by sandy. going back on Monday for the first time been working from home (and found RAS/BT). i work in syndicated loans and pretty much hate my job. ask your equity guys what they think about the stocks that I posted. nice job on the trade!

OT you from Brooklyn also?
    edited January 2013
    Coops, i have to say --- there is a chance you'll be pulling your hair out today for getting out of that trade
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    small world, I worked at Citi for 5 years at 390 greenwich, my wife use to work at 60 wall. my building also got destroyed by sandy. going back on Monday for the first time been working from home (and found RAS/BT). i work in syndicated loans and pretty much hate my job. ask your equity guys what they think about the stocks that I posted. nice job on the trade!

OT you from Brooklyn also?

Good old Bensonhurst for the first 29 years before I came to Vegas. I lived on West 6th right next to the club (Joey Dale's) among other places West 13th between Quentin and Kings Hwy and a couple of others Father had a doughnut shop right there and a Italian grocery store at West 32st Marine Park area. The doughnut shop was where I ran numbers for my Uncles and father good memories. Joey Dales Club was where they shot most of Saturday Night Fever. Also where they did there dance rehearsing that really was a Pool Room on Bay Pky and West 8th or 9th so many years ago where we hung out every night. and when we weren't there we hung at the rainbow shop on 69st and 18th. Near the rainbow theater where I seen all the Ali/Frazer fights on the big screen for $5. Went to Seth Low and then Utrecht high (They just changed the districts) had to bus when I was right around the corner from Lafayette

Thanks for Memories eug
    edited January 2013
    Out at 55 cents :)

There sitting at .50 right now...debating buying some more today.
    edited January 2013
    OT...what I tell you small world, I also grew up in bensonhurst on 19th and 84th --- Dyker and New Utrecht!!! Utes Baby! i remember most places you are mentioning, the movie theater on Bay Parkway is long gone. How did you end up in Vegas?

Coops any thoughts on buying a put and a call?
    edited January 2013
    Buying Calls in this bullshit rally just seems wrong to me... even if it is a straddle. I ended up buying the 149 Puts @ .22 (tomorrow expiry)
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    No big story was doing a couple of things and thought I would take my act to Vegas. Went to the New York school of Gambling right across the street from the Garden. Back in those days they taught you well the 4 games in those days BJ, Craps, Roulette and Baccarat they had in Vegas wasn't any of those Carney games they have now. We went for 6 months 8 hours a day. It was great made some real good connections running a poker game after school on Friday night every Tuesday the Knicks were in town we were there.court side. I graduated in November of 79 that was the year we watched the "We Are Family" Pirates Vs Baltimore World Series at the Blarney Stone next to the school.

My first true love lived on 19th Ave and 76st or was it 79st (Long time ago) a block from the school yard where we played a lot of softball . Good Games
    edited January 2013
    Buying Calls in this bullshit rally just seems wrong to me... even if it is a straddle. I ended up buying the 149 Puts @ .22 (tomorrow expiry)

Selling this if/when we get to .40
    edited January 2013
    Great stories! I work with two people (we met randomly) they are both Utrecht grads one from the 80's one from the 70's - it was an awesome place. I think I got jacked as a kid at that school park playing football. the area is so different these days.

coops, just sharing my opinion here, feel free to tell me to shut up.

This being a bullish rally is your take, which I personally agree with however we can both be wrong, if the market remains flat or improves tomorrow your trade goes to zero and is a pure one day gamble on the direction. there is a possibility that the numbers will be amazing and the market jumps, buying a call with a 151 strike gives you a hedge and an opportunity to really benefit if the numbers are great. my opinion is that the market moves 2+% one way or the other.
    edited January 2013
    Wire2Wire wrote: »
    RIMM...RESEARCH IN MOTION...maker of BLACKBERRY...Year Rannge HIGH $17.96 LOW $6.22
    CLOSED yesterday at $13.63
    Will report loss of 35 cents a share today according to street estimates.
    Will soon be introducing BLACKBERRY 10
    They have high hopes for this.Could be a play on earnings bounce.
    It recently has been straight up from around $9.00
    If it dips below $13.00 I am a buyer.
    w2w

Looking to enter a position in RIMM, low today @ 12.15 area, saw and like the BB10 has some nice features and more so regarding separating business from personal which is what made BB the top business choice phone to begin with. I think this turnaround story continues and am looking to buy on this sell on the news drop. The mobile playing field is getting crowded BUT I like the business side of this new phone along with some other features and think they finally have a winner, while having drastically cut costs over the last two years. 50MA right here around 13 area, 200MA down at 10 area, will wait to see if it holds 50MA., would love to pick it up down at 200MA so may wait if sells off in sympathy with any overall market selloff/correction
    edited February 2013
    Glad I sold my puts last night.... crazy November/December revisions... full steam ahead for this market it seems... :/
    edited February 2013
    Great stories! I work with two people (we met randomly) they are both Utrecht grads one from the 80's one from the 70's - it was an awesome place. I think I got jacked as a kid at that school park playing football. the area is so different these days.

coops, just sharing my opinion here, feel free to tell me to shut up.

This being a bullish rally is your take, which I personally agree with however we can both be wrong, if the market remains flat or improves tomorrow your trade goes to zero and is a pure one day gamble on the direction. there is a possibility that the numbers will be amazing and the market jumps, buying a call with a 151 strike gives you a hedge and an opportunity to really benefit if the numbers are great. my opinion is that the market moves 2+% one way or the other.

even a broken clock is right twice a day! Glad you sold yesterday and profited, my orders didn't get filled and I am okay with it. i am so pessimistic about the market from my standpoint there is no reason why it’s going up, so when my orders don’t get filled I am okay with it even if it cost me money today.
    edited February 2013
    even a broken clock is right twice a day! Glad you sold yesterday and profited, my orders didn't get filled and I am okay with it. i am so pessimistic about the market from my standpoint there is no reason why it’s going up, so when my orders don’t get filled I am okay with it even if it cost me money today.

1,000% agree. I cant believe it keeps going up, it makes zero sense!
    edited February 2013
    1,000% agree. I cant believe it keeps going up, it makes zero sense!

One of the reasons I went out to Mar 28 expiry on the Bear spread, the open interest at the 150 area is pretty large so it looks like it there is a good chance of it getting "pinned" there with slight upward bias as more puts than call contracts open. I will look to buy back the 142 puts I sold here as I think we could see the reversal begin next week. The bonds aren't selling off with the rally today so it is a little suspect IMO.
    edited February 2013
    reb...rimm is in an odd situation, their financials look horrible on one side (-EPS, -profit margin, 137mm shares are getting shorted at the moment) but they have a few billion in cash, zero debt and a new product in the market. my opinion if blackberry 10 doesn't fly, this company is going to zero or is really going to struggle, that space has way too much competition and apple has taken that corporate edge away from blackberry and it won't be easy to get it back. if you really like the company buy yourself some june or september puts with the stock. sorry reb don't mean to be so negative again with your pick, just sharing my opinion here. it's just very difficult for me to look at there numbers and see 500 million shares outstanding and the company losses $1.6 a share to the tune of 800mm
    edited February 2013
    Eug, easily understood as this (RIMM/BBRY) was in the doghouse for quite some time (with very good reason) I am a BB user and have been, they still have a loyal base to draw from with the right product and from what I've seen this product may have what it takes to retain a good portion of that base and build upon it (get back some of the defectors). I think AAPL has quite a bit more to worry about from Samsung then they do from BB as far as market share. I am very cautious about turnaround stories, and it's one thing to be a contrarian yet another to turn your head to what may be easily staring you in the face. When AAPL reached the 700+ plateau and it became probably one of the most loved (and crowded) owned stocks it drew big red flags and sure enough look how much market cap they've retraced. I like to think of myself as a risk taker but a calculated risk taker comparisons are easy with sports such as a couple of plays the last few days ie., the much love for Miss. and Butler where it was more difficult to see the other sides prevailing (I fell into the Ore. trap @ Stanford) so it's easy to do but to me, after having been at this for 25+ yrs. I believe I know how to manage that risk without leaving myself to open to any substantial losses. As I've mentioned before, I have paid "my tuition". There are different strokes for different folks, some are happy collecting dividends and selling premium on covered calls...absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact it's an excellent way to get nice returns and I do that with some portion of portfolio, I also like to take some calculated risks that could bring +++EV as well if they seem fit to me. I always put a caveat on making sure any one I recommend these to know that they are highly speculative plays. Sometimes things are easier seen in hind sight, I like to see if I can capture some of the foresight before the rest of the crowd...I was an early entrant into NFLX as after becoming an early customer knew they would cause Blockbuster to virtually go extinct with NFLX's superior model, I remember telling people about them and they were like "I don't trust the mail" or "we like to go to the store" etc. well those same people once they gave it a try never looked back. Could get into many others but I think you get where I'm coming from. Thanks again, -Reb
    edited February 2013
    bought spy 151 puts @ .63 cents for next friday expiry
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Sundance Energy (SDCJF) broke through $1 today-- what with their upcoming merger with Texon (which gives them Eagle Ford acreage) I've raised my estimate to at least $3 by year end 2013.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=13ca6538786ced5e&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dde67cbcfe1%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13ca6538786ced5e%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRvI6Eia45aXXKtOl6Zvvm3OKiEmQ
    edited February 2013
    Sundance Energy (SDCJF) broke through $1 today-- what with their upcoming merger with Texon (which gives them Eagle Ford acreage) I've raised my estimate to at least $3 by year end 2013.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=13ca6538786ced5e&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dde67cbcfe1%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13ca6538786ced5e%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRvI6Eia45aXXKtOl6Zvvm3OKiEmQ

Will watch it closely and see how it reacts to its two year high of 1.13 reached on 3/7/11, it hit that high and then sold off on over 1.3m shares that day, if it can handle that resistance and bust through that would be a big positive.
    edited February 2013
    TheReb wrote: »
    Will watch it closely and see how it reacts to its two year high of 1.13 reached on 3/7/11, it hit that high and then sold off on over 1.3m shares that day, if it can handle that resistance and bust through that would be a big positive.

A lot has changed for this company-- for the better-- since March 2011. For what's it's worth-- back then I was in (like most people) @ the .20-.30 area. When it broke through the dollar, most of us took profits. I personally bought it back at the .45-.55 area. Not selling at this point, as I think it gets above the dollar for good in the next few weeks. They have announced they are looking at getting a North American listing (as opposed the the current pink sheets ADR's). If and when they do, I feel like there will be a lot of buying here in the States.
    edited February 2013
    A lot has changed for this company-- for the better-- since March 2011. For what's it's worth-- back then I was in (like most people) @ the .20-.30 area. When it broke through the dollar, most of us took profits. I personally bought it back at the .45-.55 area. Not selling at this point, as I think it gets above the dollar for good in the next few weeks. They have announced they are looking at getting a North American listing (as opposed the the current pink sheets ADR's). If and when they do, I feel like there will be a lot of buying here in the States.

Sounds good, speaking of getting out of the pink sheets... http://finance.yahoo.com/news/organovo-holdings-inc-announces-redemption-130500397.html;_ylt=A2KJNTvOMhFR3EwAg7f_wgt.
    edited February 2013
    Sundance (SDCJF) broke through the dollar in Australia overnight on big volume (SEA.AX) Looks like a lot of buying here.
    edited February 2013
    Sundance (SDCJF) broke through the dollar in Australia overnight on big volume (SEA.AX) Looks like a lot of buying here.

Today's volume ended up being half of daily avg. looks like some blocks traded early, still would like to see it bust that previous high @ 1.13. (GL with the Sun Devils tonight)

As for the overall market, everyone continues to look for a decent pullback but it continues to be stubborn (and we know what animal that relates to) the assault on these key psychological areas 1500SP/14000DOW/2%10YR.Treas. continue to hang in there...it could work off the overbought condition by just consolidating the gains over a period of days/weeks before resuming the uptrend if they can't get any decent bearish trigger to get it to break meaningfully. Still thinking it will get a capitulation spike with the remaining bears throwing in the towel here at some point if they get impatient enough but we shall see. The loss of productivity over the last quarter is something to keep an eye on with regards to the overall economy IMO. Still not as bad as my Rebels loss of productivity this past week LOL (couldn't help myself on that one)

As far as ONVO & OPK both look like they have taken a respite/breather after their respective runs ONVO @ 4.50 area, OPK 6.80-7.05 area, this is typical and if they continue to trade within a fairly tight range could be construed as a "flag" or "pennant" on charts before they too resume their recent uptrend. GL today! -R
    edited February 2013
    bought spy 151 puts @ .63 cents for next friday expiry

Coops, Just bought 80 spy 150 22feb puts @.35, it's grinding and pushing past the so called resistance levels...but the relative strength is starting to diverge and although it's always tough to try and pinpoint a turning point, it feels like it's ready to trap some on this little breakout...they're cheap enough to take a swing at and this may be that spike before the pullback I was looking for. Just a gut feel at this point based on very light volume and complacency with the speech tonight. Risk/reward looks like +EV to me with the extremely low volatility, cheap insurance IMO.

Couple of notes on the other stocks mentioned previously, OPK saw a bearish article by a short seller last week which pointed out an insider sale which caused a selloff that morning, later in the afternoon, the company responded by stating that the sale from the officer was due to personal family issues and was a one off sale. In fact, during the selloff the main man (Frost) purchased another 110k shares. The stock moved back up after the company issued the response and has been trading around 6.70 since. ONVO has traded back up to the 5 handle, still a volatile stock but maintaining it's upswing from the low 2's. MNKD reported it's expected negative quarter yesterday but the real story continues in it's phase III trials of it's diabetes treatment for benefit of both type 1 & 2 with Afrezza. Currently sits at 2.45 area (I own 3k shares and am long 40 leaps JAN'14 3 calls) but am considering adding to position as speculative as this is it has enormous potential should it get approved after adding to their trials per FDA request. Have a great week! -R
    edited February 2013
    interesting day in the market today....after hitting the highs yesterday the market really retreated! are guys taking profits and running? (my mind is set on being negative in this market, pissing against the wind)

Reb, by the way I am still tracking ONVO, the company thats the leader in this space DDD has tripled in price and is profitable, they may be the pioneer that ONVO can emulate.