Betting Talk

CLV VS line movement direction

Comments

• R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    danshan wrote: »
    so CLV is the same as W-L it can be luck and if it can be luck than it is not a good measure of skill. I think its the best measure we have but its not a true indicator, I would not start cancer treatment with those kind of numbers. I need something more accurate. I am also convinced the market is not always effecient and that causes a real problem with CLV being accurate. You take 50 super bowls and run your CLV and you will be shit shocked how bad your model is. I think the best approach is the most deadly, huge sample size and if you are wrong it is way way way too late and you are broke.

Just start marking down the number of 1 point line moves and do 5 random samples of 100 bets and see what the results are.

The market cannot be always efficient because it is subject to emotion. See bitcoin.
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    the exact amount is unknown and of course the more deviation points the numbers drop but possible
  • vegasendbossvegasendboss Member
    edited May 2018
    R40, great answers here and i agree with most you say, however with BTC there's a lot more Fun Player Money in the market that make decisions based on emotion when compared to the most efficient yet less liquid sport-betting marketplace, so not a good comparison
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    the exact amount is unknown and of course the more deviation points the numbers drop but possible

A 1-point line move equates to about 56% winning percentage. Do a check on a number of bets and see how close it gets. I think you will find it gets pretty damn close.
    edited May 2018
    R40 wrote: »
    A 1-point line move equates to about 56% winning percentage. Do a check on a number of bets and see how close it gets.

I dont know what you mean? Where do you get those numbers can you share the math cause I am little lost
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    I dont know what you mean? Where do you get those numbers can you share the math cause I am little lost

Just look at the line histories and figure up the winning percentage on the 1-point movers on as many games as you like.
    edited May 2018
    1 point mover you mean 1% win% change or what exactly, can you give me an example
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    1 point mover you mean 1% win% change or what exactly, can you give me an example

I mean the line moves 3 to 4 or 5 to 6 or 11 to 12. You don't have to get specific on percentage terms. Just check the winning percentages on games that move a full point and compare it to the expectation of 56%.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    You don't really have to do any calculations because you know full well that any book that leaves a point available is going under.
    edited May 2018
    yes 1 point varies in value but if you can get a free point across the board you would be very wealthy IF the limits are reasonable otherwise you just make a few bucks!
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    yes 1 point varies in value but if you can get a free point across the board you would be very wealthy IF the limits are reasonable otherwise you just make a few bucks!

Yes. That is precooked CLV. That is why you measure how much CLV value you have because it predicts your winning percentage pretty accurately.
    edited May 2018
    I think we discussed this before and I see the relation to clv and winning but I dont see CLV and winning being aligned

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
    [TH="align: left"]Season[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Win-Loss[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Win %[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]CLV[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Units[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]ROI[/TH]

2014 MLB
    267-231
    56.55% (Adj.)
    +7.36c (+1.33%)
    +43.56
    +7.88%

2015 MLB
    199-162
    56.46% (Adj.)
    +12.16c (+2.24%)
    +30.89
    +7.78%

2016 MLB
    204-163
    57.63% (Adj.)
    +12.90c (+2.42%)
    +40.48
    +10.60%

2017 MLB
    182-142
    57.48% (Adj.)
    +14.40c (+2.80%)
    +34.68
    +10.14%

2018 MLB
    51-56
    48.91% (Adj.)
    +14.96c (+2.86%)
    -6.78%

</tbody>

you can see from Dr H's record that CLV is good and units are good but the two dont match 1% clv does not mean 5 units or something like that
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    I think we discussed this before and I see the relation to clv and winning but I dont see CLV and winning being aligned

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
    [TH="align: left"]Season[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Win-Loss[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Win %[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]CLV[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]Units[/TH]
    [TH="align: left"]ROI[/TH]

2014 MLB
    267-231
    56.55% (Adj.)
    +7.36c (+1.33%)
    +43.56
    +7.88%

2015 MLB
    199-162
    56.46% (Adj.)
    +12.16c (+2.24%)
    +30.89
    +7.78%

2016 MLB
    204-163
    57.63% (Adj.)
    +12.90c (+2.42%)
    +40.48
    +10.60%

2017 MLB
    182-142
    57.48% (Adj.)
    +14.40c (+2.80%)
    +34.68
    +10.14%

2018 MLB
    51-56
    48.91% (Adj.)
    +14.96c (+2.86%)
    -6.78%

</tbody>

you can see from Dr H's record that CLV is good and units are good but the two dont match 1% clv does not mean 5 units or something like that

If you have 1 point of CLV, you are a guaranteed winner. The higher your CLV, the higher your winning percentage will be. There will be times when a winning CLV will produce 40% winning percentages. The expectation is always positive however and it is all you have to go on.
    edited May 2018
    +CLV does not make you a guaranteed winner, that is what I am afraid of
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    +CLV does not make you a guaranteed winner, that is what I am afraid of

Not in the very short term. There are professional gamblers that have made millions blindly betting lines so it is a proven concept.
    edited May 2018
    I can agree to that but I am still stuck on without a decent sample size, you cant really say you are good at this! by the time you have a decent sample size you are toast if you were wrong.
  • cshcsh Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    If you spent half the amount time on crafting your projections as you did on making retarded forum posts you may actually get somewhere. No matter how many times people tell you xyz to be true you refuse to listen and spout off about abc.
    edited May 2018
    CSH take your own advice buddy! Keep posting those 250 limiter overnights and acting like you can cap, if you cant beat the BOL openers you should not be doing anything!
  • cshcsh Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    Again acting like you know anything and making a complete fool of yourself. Releases are at the last game of the night. Your inability to comprehend how the market works, including limits, is also impeding your ability to understand anything about line value as you've made abundantly clear.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    I can agree to that but I am still stuck on without a decent sample size, you cant really say you are good at this! by the time you have a decent sample size you are toast if you were wrong.

That is why you do not start whaling away with a crappy model. You at least get some kind of expectation of your projected success and that is not guaranteed because you might be a screw up.
    edited May 2018
    that is hard to do because the model needs to grow and change just like everything else and I think its hard to get a decent sample size
  • vegasendbossvegasendboss Member
    edited May 2018
    ^ lol. $250 BOL overnights, he is posting here after 1st pitch of last game - same as H - but sure, lets make sure to make fun of the ONE poster here who is +EV - this is the world we live in hahaha
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    In what sport and in what market is beating the closer by 1 point equating to 56%?
    edited May 2018
    ^ lol. $250 BOL overnights, he is posting here after 1st pitch of last game - same as H - but sure, lets make sure to make fun of the ONE poster here who is +EV - this is the world we live in hahaha

sorry for getting off topic, CSH is the best, now can we move back on to the topic
    edited May 2018
    csh wrote: »
    Again acting like you know anything and making a complete fool of yourself. Releases are at the last game of the night. Your inability to comprehend how the market works, including limits, is also impeding your ability to understand anything about line value as you've made abundantly clear.
    I am sorry I apologize for running my mouth, its not necessary now if we can return to the topic, thanks
    edited May 2018
    ericvanden wrote: »
    In what sport and in what market is beating the closer by 1 point equating to 56%?

its a vague random number but I think he was just saying in general.
  • cshcsh Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    8 pages and you still don't understand that regularly beating the closing line will converge with winning over any large sample. Carry on
    edited May 2018
    8 pages and you still don't understand that regularly beating the closing line will converge with winning over any large sample. Carry on
    so will wins and losses over any large sample
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited May 2018
    ericvanden wrote: »

I don't actually have the slightest idea what one point CLV produces. I am just guesstimating. Pretty confident it is going to be in the ballpark and will at least be substantially profitable.
    edited May 2018
    and there is no reason to be rude if you need a break its too much just step away from the keyboard or dont follow the thread, no need to be rude!