namathfannamathfan Senior Member
edited June 2018 in Sports Betting
How happy are you that we got Mertz?

Comments

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    namathfan wrote: »
    How happy are you that we got Mertz?

Hey namath--good to hear from you. Obviously very happy, however, until he's actually signed a LOI, I don't get too excited about it. The things I like best are that Chryst is recruiting higher ranked players than we've been in on before, his coaching staff seems to have better recruiters on it than in the past, and the school still seems to be remaining true to their culture of recruiting quality people who are also good students and seem to "fit" into what Paul is trying to establish regarding the "Wisconsin" way of doing things. Being a long time Badger fan, I don't get overly stimulated by the recruiting rankings because for years we've been pretty successful with whom we've recruited even though their classes have never been ranked better than about 30th nationally and are usually ranked in about the middle of the B1G.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2018
    Hey namath--good to hear from you. Obviously very happy, however, until he's actually signed a LOI, I don't get too excited about it. The things I like best are that Chryst is recruiting higher ranked players than we've been in on before, his coaching staff seems to have better recruiters on it than in the past, and the school still seems to be remaining true to their culture of recruiting quality people who are also good students and seem to "fit" into what Paul is trying to establish regarding the "Wisconsin" way of doing things. Being a long time Badger fan, I don't get overly stimulated by the recruiting rankings because for years we've been pretty successful with whom we've recruited even though their classes have never been ranked better than about 30th nationally and are usually ranked in about the middle of the B1G.

They got a kid from the high school in my city coming in 2019. ESPN has him in the top 20 in the class. OL, Logan Brown. Big strong kid, with a frame to easily add to his 285 lbs, won the state shot put title by close to 6 feet this year and did it with a bad knee. Turned down offers from Bama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio St, etc. Teammate also in the top 30 getting the same offers. They are best friends so you might get them both. He is more of a DL, and has a mean streak that you love to see.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    Nice to hear your thoughts Bucky.

Thanks for the info Stevie.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    StevieY wrote: »
    They got a kid from the high school in my city coming in 2019. ESPN has him in the top 20 in the class. OL, Logan Brown. Big strong kid, with a frame to easily add to his 285 lbs, won the state shot put title by close to 6 feet this year and did it with a bad knee. Turned down offers from Bama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio St, etc. Teammate also in the top 30 getting the same offers. They are best friends so you might get them both. He is more of a DL, and has a mean streak that you love to see.

Yeah, thanks Stevie. I was talking to Joe Rudolph, the Badgers' offensive line coach, and I know he was very excited that they were able to get a commitment from Brown and thought he would end up being one of their highest ranked OL recruits ever. It does look like the Badgers have restocked their offensive line and added some tremendous depth. In fact , a friend of mine is a NFL scout and he said he thought all 5 of Wis's starting OL would be starting NFL linemen when they're done with college. And that they probably have at least 3 more NFL caliber OL in the wings. Do you have any idea why Brown de-committed from Mich. Word around here, was that he just felt Wis was a "better fit" for him.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, thanks Stevie. I was talking to Joe Rudolph, the Badgers' offensive line coach, and I know he was very excited that they were able to get a commitment from Brown and thought he would end up being one of their highest ranked OL recruits ever. It does look like the Badgers have restocked their offensive line and added some tremendous depth. In fact , a friend of mine is a NFL scout and he said he thought all 5 of Wis's starting OL would be starting NFL linemen when they're done with college. And that they probably have at least 3 more NFL caliber OL in the wings. Do you have any idea why Brown de-committed from Mich. Word around here, was that he just felt Wis was a "better fit" for him.

Not sure he ever fully committed to Michigan. It was never reported around here. Most people here were convinced it was going to be Michigan or Wisconsin and the first news reported on a commitment was to Wisconsin. May hear something different when their season starts.