Betting Talk

Belmont controversy: Did alliance ensure a Justify Win?

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Wouldn’t call it a “controversy “. It’s horse racing. It’s not like the other horse was making contact with those trying to get by. Trainers have been doing this stuff forever (ie entering another horse in their barn as a rabbit to soften the speed horses and help a closer). I see it as a non-issue.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    TommyL wrote: »
    Wouldn’t call it a “controversy “. It’s horse racing. It’s not like the other horse was making contact with those trying to get by. Trainers have been doing this stuff forever (ie entering another horse in their barn as a rabbit to soften the speed horses and help a closer). I see it as a non-issue.

that is true..controversy is a bit of a stretch...

from the article:

Repole said he questioned Javier Castellano on Sunday morning about his failure to follow instructions with Noble Indy. The 24-1 long shot was expected to confront Justify early with the hope of softening him for Vino Rosso’s late kick. Todd Pletcher, a three-time Belmont winner, trains Noble Indy and Vino Rosso.

“All week and in the paddock, Todd and I were crystal clear to Javier to make the lead,” Repole said. “He broke good. Mike Smith broke good. We definitely saw an opportunity that Javier, being told to make the lead, could have, or at least pressured Justify.”

that is the fishy part IMO
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited June 2018
    I've been saying for years in the big three one horse per trainer. Yes It's legal to have as many as you want but that was set up.