Betting Talk

Bryan Colangelo fired, blames wife

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited June 2018 in Sports Betting
I hated the fact that the 76ers let go of Hinkie and signed this dude. Now he's out and blaming his wife for posting personal team information on Twitter from burner accounts. Guy was never a good GM IMO and I hated the move to hire him. In fact he's probably set the 76ers back. Drafted Fultz who, although it's still early, appears to be a potential bust. Could have had Tatum or Donovan Mitchell. Also known for this last year which always cracks me up... let a solid PG walk away in free agency for nothing, traded picks (I think it was picks) to get him back halfway through next season, then let him walk again in free agency for nothing. Philly should hire Hinkie back, he's the one that got them turned around anyway. Thoughts?

Colangelo traded 1st round pick Roy Hibbert for Jermaine O'Neal. Gave up Chris Bosh for next to nothing. Drafted Andrea Bargnani 1st overall. Has given out some awful deals to garbage players (Landry Fields, Jason Kapono). Gave up Nerlens Noel for very little in return. Gave up Steve Nash for Pat Garrity, Martin Muursepp, Bubba Wells, and a pick.

The one thing I'll give him credit for is occasionally drafting well but Hinkie was doing a good job in the draft. Never made sense to me.

News broke right at noon on Thursday that Sixers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo has resigned from his position following an independent investigation (see story).

He released this statement at around 12:39 p.m.

While I am grateful that the independent investigation conducted by the 76ers has confirmed that I had no knowledge of or involvement in the Twitter activity conducted by my wife, I vigorously dispute the allegation that my conduct was in any way reckless. At no point did I ever purposefully or directly share any sensitive, non-public, club-related information with her.

Her actions were a seriously misguided effort to publicly defend and support me, and while I recognize how inappropriate these actions were, she acted independently and without my knowledge or consent. Further, the content she shared was filled with inaccuracies and conjecture which in no way represent my own views or opinions. While this was obviously a mistake, we are a family and we will work through this together.

Although I am not directly responsible for the actions, I regret this incident occurred and understand that it has become a distraction for the team. Therefore, the organization and I have mutually agreed to part ways.

Over the last two years, I have worked hard to help build a foundation for what I hope will soon be many championship seasons for the 76ers. I am grateful to team owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer for the opportunity they gave me to be part of such a great organization. I am saddened to have to leave under these circumstances.

Basketball has been a core part of my life since childhood. I love the game and all those who play and coach it. I want to thank the many colleagues, players and friends from around the League and elsewhere who have expressed their support and encouragement during this difficult and painful time for me and my family.