Betting Talk

Running thread of my MLB Plays, good luck to all

Comments

• Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Arcia expected back for Brew Crew. Solid hitter. Brewers' offense probably has room to improve in the next week or 2 as they've had a key guy out of the lineup in just about every game this year thus far.
    edited April 2018
    Wrote up Yankees and my odds suggest a play but scratched it last second. I just hate fading Berrios because I think he's a legit ace. His offense and pen probably let him down here. Also would have been on the under but it got steamed just seconds before I placed a bet so that's a pass too.
    edited April 2018
    Anderson playing for White Sox but Garcia put on DL.

Wrote up Yankees and my odds suggest a play but scratched it last second. I just hate fading Berrios because I think he's a legit ace. His offense and pen probably let him down here. Also would have been on the under but it got steamed just seconds before I placed a bet so that's a pass too.

Phillies -105

Velasquez is pitching well right now and Arizona's offense has been shaky in recent games. The Phillies' offense is a mystery as some games they look good and others awful but ultimately they have some talent in there. Ray was great last year but his command has been off this season and he seems to be regressing. The DBacks have a bullpen advantage but Philly's pen isn't trash. Taking the home team with the more consistent starter at only -105 seems like a good idea. Let's just hope Ray doesn't start pitching like he did last year.

Tigers +160
    Tigers/Pirates o8.5 +105

Both of these starting pitchers are stinky. Tigers' offense in a bit better form, both offenses were productive against the opposing starter earlier this year. Pirates might have a small bullpen edge here but neither pen is good. Wind is blowing in pretty well but the over is still bettable here as the starters and bullpens aren't worth trusting. Honestly this just seems like a tossup where neither starter does particularly well. Someone wins 6-5. Might as well roll the dice on the dog.
    edited April 2018
    Mariners/White Sox o9.5 +100

Garcia out for the White Sox hurts their ability to hit lefties but Gonzales for Seattle isn't that good and he rarely goes deep into games, meaning that CHW will have ample opportunity to punish the below average Mariners' pen. The main reason I like this is because Volstad is pitching for Chicago. This vet has been getting rocked in the minors for years and simply isn't good enough to pitch at this level. Seattle should punish him. Neither starter will last too long here. Lean Mariners on the ML but their pen scares me. Should get the over here.

Calling it a day. Only got halfway through the card but it's my last day of vacation and the pool sounds like a good idea.
    edited April 2018
    Record: 62-60 +1.60

Padres/Rockies u10 +100

Not a huge fan of unders at Coors Field but this one seemed worth it. Ross is pitching great again and is one of the few guys that has pitched well at Coors over the year. Gray is off some rough starts but is a quality pitcher that should get back to form. The Rockies don't have Cargo today, while the Padres are without Hosmer. Big offensive piece missing for each team. The Rockies have an above average bullpen and the Padres' bullpen has been one of the best in baseball this year. Not entirely sure I trust the Padres' pen to keep it up but right now they look a million times better than last season. Padres aren't hitting much right now which helps too. Rockies win 5-3 or so. 10 seems too high, even at Coors.

Giants +145

Nats aren't hitting as well since Rendon went down with an injury and Samardzija looked sharp in his opener. I still don't full trust him but with the Nats on a cold streak offensively he has a chance to do well here. The Giants' offense is hitting better than it was earlier in the year and it might only take a run or 2 to get the win against Scherzer. Nats have a small bullpen advantage but I think there is value on the home team as a dog here.
    edited April 2018
    Tigers/Pirates o7.5 -110 Game 1

Wind is blowing out, Zimmerman is not a good pitcher, and he doesn't have a good pen behind him. The Pirates aren't hitting much since Harrison went on the DL but I have to figure they'll be able to score runs against Zimmerman who has faced some light-hitting offenses and performed poorly. I like Taillon a lot for the Pirates and doubt he'll give up more than 2 runs over 6 or 7 innings but the Pirates' pen isn't anything special. They are pitching better but still not worth trusting completely yet. 7.5 is just too low for a Zimmerman game where the wind is going out.

No bet on Twins/Yankees but do lean NYY's way. Weird matchup. 2 good pitchers who have no control over their stuff right now.
    edited April 2018
    Braves/Reds o9.5 +100

Wisler had a nice first start but he's had issues with the long ball in the past and isn't anything special. Cincinnati rocked him last year and is hitting for power in their home games this year. On top of that the wind is blowing out nicely here. Finnegan had the spring injury that put him behind and he doesn't look right thus far. Even at his best Finnegan still isn't that good. The Braves hit lefties well last year and will have Acuna's bat in this game after the stud prospect was called up from the minors. If that wasn't enough for you, the bullpens here range from below average (Atlanta's) to trash (Cincy's).
    edited April 2018
    Blue Jays +125
    Red Sox/Blue Jays u8.5 -110

Not really sure why Boston is favored here. I think both starters do well and both bullpen are trustworthy but Toronto is at home with the more talented starter which makes the line a bit of a head scratcher to me. Boston's recent hot offensive streak seems to be over. Their strikeouts are up while their hits and walks are trending down. Toronto isn't hitting particularly well either but I don't see anything that makes sense for the home team to be the dog in this scenario. I don't think either team has a ton of offensive success.
    edited April 2018
    Suarez off DL and starting for Reds.
    edited April 2018
    Record: 65-63 +1.60

Really thought 25 hits would be enough to get us the Braves/Reds over yesterday but they left 21 guys on base and it wasn't meant to be. Even on the night. On to Thursday.

Reds +122

Bailey is pitching very well this year and seems to be over the injuries that cost him the last 3 seasons. It's easy to forget he was a pretty darn good pitcher before all that happened. Cincinnati's offense has been much stronger at home and they welcome Suarez back into the lineup today. I like Newcomb as a prospect but his WHIP is sky high and his lack of command is driving his pitch count up. Bailey seems more likely to go deeper in this one and when you have 2 awful pens like this that is worth it's weight in gold. Just doesn't seem like the Reds should be underdogs at home here.

Tigers +145

This one was an easy one for me. Fulmer is a much better starter than Nova, and the Detroit offense is in a tick better form than the Pirates. These 2 bullpens are pitching surprisingly decent after the awful start to the year. Ultimately Fulmer has ace potential and getting him at +145 is a gift.

Yankees -1.5 -110

Nearly loaded this up as a 2-unit play but will leave it be for now. Montgomery is a quality lefty facing a Twins team that hasn't hit lefties this year and isn't hitting all that well in recent games. Gibson is not a good pitcher and the Yankees are bashing everyone they face lately. New York has a massive bullpen edge. I don't expect this game to be close.

Phillies -120

Line seems short but who knows how Koch does. Koch has been very hittable in the minors for years but somehow has looked like the best pitcher in baseball during his 3 starts the last few seasons. At the end of the day I simply don't trust that to continue. Lively is a solid pitcher and more trustworthy here by far. -120 just seemed like too light of a line on the home team with the better pitcher.

Cardinals -105

Really didn't plan on taking a side in every single early game. Heck, I like totals way more than sides... just the way it worked out today. Syndergaard is a legit ace but he's not in his top ace form just yet and the Cardinals are hitting pretty well right now. The Cardinals have the better bullpen and are at home with their ace on the mound. The Mets his Carlos Martinez in his first start of the year but Martinez was still figuring some things out from spring ball where he got off track messing with a new pitch. Since then Martinez has been great. So you are getting the home team with the better bullpen, the hotter offense, and the hotter starter for only -105? Works for me.

Late plays coming in a bit.
    edited April 2018
    Oof Lively flat out doesn't have it today. Not missing any bats.
    edited April 2018
    So much for my theory that Bailey will go deep than Newcomb. Reds just pulled Bailey after 50 pitches. Did he get hurt? Anyone watching?
  • CirclejerkCirclejerk Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    Jake T. wrote: »
    Oof Lively flat out doesn't have it today. Not missing any bats.

Ugh.
    Also played Lively last night, thinking like you in your write up. I made them around -140, at least it's early.
    GL-
    edited April 2018
    Indians just put Andrew Miller on IR, big hit for one of the best pens in baseball.
    edited April 2018
    Circlejerk wrote: »
    Ugh.
    Also played Lively last night, thinking like you in your write up. I made them around -140, at least it's early.
    GL-

I somehow ended up with them at -165. Koch being a poor minor leaguer and throwing like Kershaw in his 4 MLB starts is the strangest thing ever. Figured he'd finally regress but he's dominating again.
    edited April 2018
    Ummm is Kyle freaking Gibson really no-hitting the Yankees? Wow.
    edited April 2018
    Indians -110

Apparently I'm just going to play a bunch of MLs today. Both teams have excellent starting pitchers here, Indians are a tick better offensively of late, and Cleveland has the big bullpen edge. At home how are they only -110?

UPDATE: Right after making this bet the Indians put Andrew Miller on IR which is a big blow to their pen. Made the bet right before news broke. Would have very likely made it even if I knew he was on DL.

Red Sox/Blue Jays u8 -105

Holy moly I found a total to play. Sale is pitching out of his mind and dominated the Blue Jays a bunch of times last season. Toronto hasn't hit lefties well this year and they are also ice cold with their bats. Sale might throw a complete game here but Boston's bullpen is excellent if needed. Toronto also has a nice pen and is facing a Red Sox team that has cooled off offensively over their last 4 or 5 games. Boston could very realistically ruin this total since Estrada isn't pitching well but at 8 with Sale possibly blanking Toronto I still feel there is value here. Estrada has had HR issues this year which isn't really new for him, but I'm not sure he's pitched quite as poorly as his ERA indicates. He also didn't allow a run to Boston in 2 of his 4 starts last year so maybe he'll put in quality innings. Seems like Red Sox win 5-1 here.

White Sox/Royals u9 +100

Junis is pitching great and the White Sox aren't hitting. Royals aren't hitting either. Neither of these offenses seems really capable of knocking in many runs. Giolito for the White Sox has potential but his control is a mess right now. That being said he still went 6 innings and only gave up 3 runs against the Royals earlier this year. Just not sure KC's offense is good enough to take advantage of his issues. Chicago's pen is study, KC's pen is a mess but at even money with a total of 9 I have to try this. Royals win 3-2.
    edited April 2018
    Tigers load the bases with 0 outs and can't get a run. That kind of day so far. Yuck.
    edited April 2018
    Kris Bryant out again for Cubbies.
    edited April 2018
    Cardinals just walked in the winning run in extra innings. The best part about it is that the guy batting, Jose Lobaton, is hitting .100 this season and has hit below .200 in 2 of his last 3 seasons. Might be the worst hitter in baseball. Just going to be a trash day with no breaks.
  • danshandanshan Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    you think Andrew Miller from the bullpen moved the line a dime or more, really?
    edited April 2018
    danshan wrote: »
    you think Andrew Miller from the bullpen moved the line a dime or more, really?

Nope. Wouldn't think any reliever in baseball could move it 10 cents really. Don't recall it ever happening anyway.
    edited April 2018
    yeah so what is the deal?
    edited April 2018
    danshan wrote: »
    yeah so what is the deal?

Your guess is as good as mine.
    edited April 2018
    i feel inept when this happens
    edited April 2018
    Record: 66-69 -3.75

Brutal day yesterday. My apologies. Should have known something was off when I was playing a million money line plays and my lines weren't particularly close. Had chances to win a decent amount of the plays but nothing broke right. Just a garbage day. Better things ahead.
    edited April 2018
    Kris Bryant out again for Cubbies.
    edited April 2018
    Cardinals/Pirates u8.5 +105

Lean Pirates +120 here but laying off. Brault is a good looking lefty but the Cardinals are a good lefty hitting team. That being said, Brault seems talented enough to have a solid start... thinking he gives up maybe 3 runs over 5 or 6 innings. That should be enough to get the under in here. Mikolas has been impressive this season and Pittsburgh isn't hitting much. I doubt the Pirates find much offensive success. Both bullpens seem good enough here; Pittsburgh's pen had that nightmare start but have been lights out lately. Ultimately I think both starters do well and think we get this under even if Brault struggles. He seems good enough where he might not struggle but we'll see. Cards win 4-2.

Not done with the card, just posting this one now as it has started to move.
    edited April 2018
    Bogaerts back for Red Sox, most important vs. lefties as he's one of the few guys on the team that can do well against them.
    edited April 2018
    Heavy lean to Tigers/Orioles o9.5 -125 but it moved over right before I made the bet. There's still value left but not as much as I look for to make a bet I guess. Tillman and Fiers are both awful starting pitchers and I'm not sure either guy can get to the 5th inning. That being said, I ultimately ended up passing as Beckham is out for Baltimore, Candelario is iffy for Detroit (although I expect him to play), and the Tigers' bullpen seems improved. Eh, it probably goes over but I took my sweet time handicapping and lost line value so will let it go. Will keep an eye on the line, wouldn't take much more than 5 cents of movement to change my mind.

Rangers +136

Lost like 30 cents in line value on this one by not capping last night but there is still room for a bet. I only had the Jays around -120. Stroman had the injury in spring and hasn't looked sharp. He's still working out the kinks. Beltre out for Rangers doesn't help but the Jays don't have Donaldson and neither offense has been particularly impressive lately. Minor seems back to his old form after all the injuries and he's an above average lefty at this point. Texas has the better starter, offenses are about even, and Toronto only has a slight bullpen edge. Makes sense to take the doggy here, and I'll probably keep fading Stroman until he gets it figured out.

Would have tried Marlins +142 at opener but it's been steamed down quite a bit. Pass.

Mariners/Indians u8 -120

Would have made the total a 2-unit play and also hit the Mariners as huge dogs if I was just a tick more confident in Erasmo Ramirez. He missed a lot of spring with a lat injury and was rusty in his opener. That being said, that opener came at Texas which is a tough place to pitch and Erasmo almost always gets hit in Texas even when healthy. Basically I'm thinking we can toss the start and he's normal but I'm not confident enough to risk more than 1 unit on it. If healthy Ramirez is a sturdy pitcher and the Cleveland offense isn't anything special right now. Ramirez should throw 5 or 6 quality innings. Kluber is a stud... Mariners offense is decent enough but Kluber should throw a gem like normal. Indians have a great pen, Mariners have a solid pen. Indians win this one 3-2.

Rays +155

As per usual, I've lost a bunch of line movement on this by being lazy with my slow handicapping. Still there is a massive amount of value left here IMO. I barely had the Red Sox favored at all. Snell is a stud. Bogaerts back for Boston will help them hit lefties but they've been a mess vs. southpaws this year and Snell dominated them earlier this year. I think he gives up a few runs here as pitching in Boston is tougher than pitching in Tampa Bay but that should be enough for a shot at the win. The Rays' offense is mashing everyone all of a sudden... the entire team is just seeing the ball really well and hitting the ball hard to all parts of the field. Tampa has performed well enough against lefties and Pomeranz might not be healthy. He missed most of spring with an injury and was pretty hittable against minor leaguers once he got healthy. In his first start of the year Pomeranz was way off and didn't look like he was regular season ready. Even if Pomeranz returns to form there would still be value on the Rays at this line. Rays win 5-4.

Reds +104
    Reds/Twins o9.5 +100 (2-unit play, counted as 1-unit for record keeping)

This park plays to hitters and it's tough to trust either starter. Castillo for the Reds has talent but he was rushed to the Majors about 2 years too early. He's been shaky this year in abut every start and seems like he'll give up some runs. Something like 5 innings, 3 runs allowed... Then you have Phil Hughes for the Twins who hasn't been good in years. He had a horrible spring, got hurt, and then looked like an absolute mess in his debut a week ago. Cincinnati just got Suarez's bat back into the lineup and they are starting to hit. Hughes serves up a bunch of HRs and Cincinnati should rock him. Cincinnati's bullpen is so bad that they could definitely cough up the lead late but Minnesota's bullpen might be just as bad. Both pens should give up runs. Reds win 8-6.

Have 6 games left to cap. Not done yet.