Betting Talk

Thoughts on what the Redskins are doing...

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited February 2018 in Sports Betting
I don't understand it. They could have a gotten a high pick from the 49ers for Kirk Cousins at the start of the year but franchised him and kept him this season instead, even though it looked like Cousins wouldn't re-sign with them. Now it appears they are going to lose him for nothing in free agency. On top of not getting anything back, they are giving up a guy who rated out as the #5 cover corner last year and a 3rd round pick to get Smith. Cousins is 4 years younger than Smith, Redskins just gave Smith, who will be 34 before next season starts, a 4-year $94 million deal with most of it guaranteed. What part about any of this makes any sense?

Obviously Cousins is going to get more money but the Redskins came out about as poorly as possible on this as far as I can tell. What was the front office thinking?

Comments

• Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    FWIW I don't think there is a ton of separation between Smith and Cousins right now, but Smith is obviously at the performance dropoff age. Nothing about it makes any sense to me.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Didn't make sense to me either. As an Eagles fan, I'm all for it though.

Maybe our resident Redskins-fan moderator will chime in.
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    I think it's easy to see the Skins never believed Cousins would be a SB QB...with this move they buy time to find one and have a competitive team in the interim...with Cousins it was always going to be about getting him signed long term, and if you don't believe he's the guy to win it all, that doesn't make sense.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    getting same qb but am thinking it helps their cap space as well , and as a long, long suffering jets fan , i think they should pay him and let him play five years , get barkley in the draft and some FA off line help. If they dont get him then they are going to have to move up in the draft , i think we are fucked any way you look at it.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited February 2018
    As a Redskins fan, I like the move (though many seem to be against it). I was never a big Cousins guy, he always put up great numbers, but struggled in some big games and in critical situations (especially when dealing with pressure). I see him as like the 10th-12th best QB in the NFL these days (maybe even 12-15ish if I really thought about it). He was solid, but it's insane that he'll be the highest paid player in the NFL and counting north of $30 million/year against someone's cap. I see him and Smith as similar in talent (guess give Cousins the edge due to age), but I'd much rather have Smith and $8 million to spend elsewhere than Cousins.

Draft pick will almost cancel out with the compensatory pick the Skins will get when someone overpays for Cousins, and I guess I didn't see Fuller as being as good as some others thought this year. He was a nice piece moving forward, had a good second half of the season, and probably would have moved outside if Breeland isn't resigned, but there are a couple young corners in the pipeline (seem to be high on Moreau).

All in all, I like the deal. Things could have been easier if McCloughan locked up Cousins long term a few years ago, but I think it's a little results-based as I never thought Cousins was worth the price that he was reportedly asking for (plus seems that, like me, McCloughan never loved Cousins either).
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Kendall Fuller helps KC D and is a cap friendly number for the next two years..