Betting Talk

Most NFL Coaches Lack Adjustments

RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
edited September 2016 in Sports Betting
I realize that most of these NFL coaches have marginal IQs and fuzzy math skills....but hey, they're making up to 7 figures and I'm trying to figure them out. Rule changes make it a slightly different game. That requires thinking "out of the box". Today's example situation:
Indy Colts rally with a TD @1:17 left to go up 26-22. Immediately Stanford alum Luck wags 2 fingers to signal going for 2pts...WRONG. Go for one?....WRONG. Take a knee= BEST CHOICE.

Comments

• BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Disagree.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    I think the idea was to put it on 6 there was time for San Diego to get a quick field goal with the two time-outs left and 1:17 I believe then try an on side kick for another field goal to tie. Colts up by 4 or 5 same thing why not go for the 2. Take a knee clock stops the clock for change of possession. I could b wrong but that's the only thing I can think of.
  • lilylily Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    I believe Ron is thinking a return for 2pts gets SD a chance to win with a fg..
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    What about TY just laying down at the 1 and not scoring the TD?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    lily wrote: »
    I believe Ron is thinking a return for 2pts gets SD a chance to win with a fg..

Yes lily that's the point.

OTimer, the clock is irrelevant on the PATs.

Benny, why do you disagree?

Jm, Good strategy if ahead or tied.

StevieY, while you're here any opinion?
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Maybe the thinking is that by going up 6 a TD doesn't beat them with the extra point not being a foregone conclusion.
  • BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    PeayMania wrote: »
    Maybe the thinking is that by going up 6 a TD doesn't beat them with the extra point not being a foregone conclusion.

Exactly
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2016
    PeayMania wrote: »

My thinking too. The chances of them missing the PAT have to be much, much higher than the chances of them returning your try for 2 and then hitting a FG to win it. I can see that logic with the old PAT rules, but with the new rules, I'd consider going for 2 a no-brainer (though you might be more conservative with the play call).
  • evo34evo34 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    You absolutely go for two here. Protecting against a black swan event (kneeling to avoid the conversion being returned 98 yds. buy the defense) is simply not knowing the odds events.