Betting Talk

Looking for Investing Advice

MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
edited February 2018 in Sports Betting
How do I turn cash into income? I have risk tolerance so it is OK to lose money on the principal investment although it is not preferred :coolsign:

I have read about REITs, read up on Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Fund Admiral Shares, as well as some other high dividend stocks.

I also have considered actual ownership of townhomes/condo's to rent out but where I live the ratios are very poor for the landlord as the housing prices in general are high. Also not trying to buy myself a job necessarily. But if I lived in an area like Pittsburgh or Raleigh where home prices were lower I would be much more open to buying property.

So interested in everyone's thoughts on this. Or should I just keep money in equities since the tax benefits are so much better on capital gains and do withdraws if/when needed. Income isn't actually needed currently but I am interested in how I could turn lumps of money into income once I decide to stop spending 18 hours on college basketball every winter.

Comments

• underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    The only safe haven is Treasuries for me and even that might blow up one day. Stay away from precious metals, because if the shit hits the fan the Govt. can confiscate those because every purchase of Precious Metals is recorded with the Govt no matter what dealer you buy it from.
    am interested in how I could turn lumps of money into income

Put it to work on the street at 3/5% a week. High Risk High reward :) just kidding.

I don't trust any thing with Housing either. i'm a perma bear, so I don't really look for long investments only shorts.

I'll tell you I'm really pissed about how all this crap unfolded about DFS just as they where about to strike deals to go public. This would of been a short of the century.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Does Ed not have a 401k plan for you? :yelling: JK

What about the stock market? But good solid long term stocks that pay dividends. Don't know how old you are and you prolly won't get rich, but long term it's typically a solid move. Your day job gives you plenty to sweat, I'd go the much less stressful route. Just my opinion.
    edited November 2015
    If your younger, or want to be more aggressive, maybe don't buy stocks like : Verizon, proctor&gamble, Exon, etc... Buy more aggressive stocks but not penny stock type garbage. I would go more conservative/long term, dividend paying stocks though. It would take the world to come to an end or Enron type stuff to lose all your money in those companies. Just my 2 cents
    edited November 2015
    I wouldn't go real estate/rental property. It can be a headache with tenants. If you have someone running it for you it might be ok. Still run the risk of not being able to liquidate in a reasonable time frame if for some reason you would happen to need the money.
  • capthookcapthook Banned
    edited November 2015
    If I were you I'd figure out how to use bitcoin securely and get into it hardcore. It can only go up from here, and so fluid and primed to be integrated into online gambling (already has to some extent)
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    right now, floating rate (or some call it senior) loans, are priced under par (won't go over par ever, unlike HY bonds), so you will get some appreciation along with a higher yield (4.5 - 5.5%), a very good investment for income. and, due to short maturities, you will gain when rates rise, unlike traditional bonds. keep in mind, many of these loans have floors, so rates will have to go higher by 100-125 basis points (1 - 1.25%) before you make those gains.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    "Plastics Ben, plastics." ...........Tax-free muni's.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Lancer wrote: »
    right now, floating rate (or some call it senior) loans, are priced under par (won't go over par ever, unlike HY bonds), so you will get some appreciation along with a higher yield (4.5 - 5.5%), a very good investment for income. and, due to short maturities, you will gain when rates rise, unlike traditional bonds. keep in mind, many of these loans have floors, so rates will have to go higher by 100-125 basis points (1 -
    1.25%) before you make those gains.

I agree floating rate is .95 cents on the dollar now and with rates going up soon, it's a great buy. I have put a portion on my clients money into this category the past year. You have to be careful with fixed income unless u own a diversified portfolio. I do like muni bonds, great time to own them. There is a lot of oppurtunity out there, it depends on your time frame and risk tolerance.

I'm in the business so I eat and breath this stuff. If your not familiar with it, I would interview a few advisors and see if they are a good fit for you and your objectives.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Oceanfront property here in Ecuador
    Directly on the ocean
    This country is where Costa Rica was ten years ago
    I am specializing part time in strictly ocean front homes and condos
    Beautiful Country, Beautiful People
    BEST
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    okie, how much income will he drive with oceanfront prop in Ecuador? just askin.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Its garbage all bust outs and hustlers in Ecuador. i know a few people who got robbed doing this.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2015
    Asked a few wonks about this and they have told me to stop focusing so much on dividends/income. I should be looking for best returns period, and typically ones not taxed at my marginal income rate. If I needed to pull money off the investments just do systematic small withdrawals over time.
    edited December 2015
    Agree with best returns to a certain degree, generally that also comes with higher risk though. Maybe do 50% conservative, dividend paying, long term stocks. And 50% more aggressive, opportunity for higher return type stocks. I just invested some money last week, and did a slightly more aggressive route then normal. Typically, I am a buy and hold type of investor, reinvest dividend, and strap on a helmut for the roller coaster rides but just sit tight, and do not panic.

As irrational as I can come across on the forum, when it comes to investing, I'm generally the polar opposite.

Be diversified is the best advice I could give you.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Just an idea if you're really willing to gamble. You could back an angel investor.
    https://angel.co/syndicates?utm_source=home_lo_head
    edited December 2015
    Can I get in the time machine and invest in Uber?
    edited December 2015
    If you wanna look at it in terms of sports gambling I would sum it up like this. Long term, dividend paying stocks, growth = RAS. Extreme volatility, bankruptcy, and most likely going to be a long term loser = buy just about any other service out there.

Granted, that's not always the case, but generally the norm.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited December 2015
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Can I get in the time machine and invest in Uber?

Maybe there's a time machine startup to invest in?
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Asked a few wonks about this and they have told me to stop focusing so much on dividends/income. I should be looking for best returns period, and typically ones not taxed at my marginal income rate. If I needed to pull money off the investments just do systematic small withdrawals over time.

I would disagree completely. You have enough risk/growth potential from gambling.
    edited December 2015
    The money I would be investing is obviously outside of bankroll.

What would you suggest for investments?
    edited December 2015
    The money I would be investing is obviously outside of bankroll.

What would you suggest for investments?

Mostly what's been mentioned here, equities with good dividends. Muni bonds but probably not till you retire.

IMO if you have a bunch of money you want to get risky with then should be adding that to your roll. Not going to find any better investments out there.
    edited December 2015
    The liquidity of the market only allows so much betting wise especially in the sports we partake in. What you are describing isn't typically an option.
    edited December 2015
    I understand. I'd still focus on stocks with a buy and hold philosophy. Anything else becomes too time consuming to do it right.
    edited December 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    Its garbage all bust outs and hustlers in Ecuador. i know a few people who got robbed doing this.

Never had the first problem here or seen one; I guess as in USA, it all depends on who you deal with
    BEST
    edited December 2015
    Lancer wrote: »
    okie, how much income will he drive with oceanfront prop in Ecuador? just askin.
    From my experiences
    Purchasing pre-construction ; construction may take 1 1/2 - 2 years; to taking title on the low end 15-25%

As in USA ocean front - true oceanfront where nothing else can be built in front of you is the key

Here in Playas, I have a 4th floor condo, three bedrooms, three baths, four beautiful decks
    @ 1800 sq ft
    there are 24 units - infinity pool, large party area, large bbq area, 24 hour security, elevator, etc.
    Pre construction I paid $172,000; was offered $210,000
    Did not sell
    I may rent this one out
    Peak season here is December - April
    I hope this assisted you
    BEST

Add - Also in secluded area as the one in Olon
    That one is basically the same and I should have title in January 2016
    edited December 2015
    Lot of problems coming for Ecuadorian economy because of using USD as currency.
    edited December 2015
    durito wrote: »
    Lot of problems coming for Ecuadorian economy because of using USD as currency.

No matter what happens, I see the sunset over the water every day of the year
    tranquility daily
    Fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken
    No preservatives
    Shrimp as big as I have ever seen; same with oysters
    2nd sunniest beach in world

I like it
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Okie,
    How do you handle the rain and humidity? Stay indoors?
    edited December 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Okie,
    How do you handle the rain and humidity? Stay indoors?
    This was funny to me
    I am here now in the so called rainy season
    Now you must understand Playas is not normal
    Been here a month and no rain
    After three days you get acclimated to humidity
    Usually walking beach @ 630
    Usually lay in sun for one-two hours daily
    Always drink Cerveza daily
    Life is very tough

Ocean breeze flows through unit
    I do have AC also
    edited December 2015
    Actually mike you might want to keep that cash handy
  • StricknineStricknine Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Look for companies that increase their dividends. Buy Gilead all you can eat under $100