Betting Talk

your user name

kanekane Senior Member
edited June 2015 in Sports Betting
How did you guys come up with your user names? When I was in high school, there was a guy I knew who's first name was "Kane", I'd never seen that as a first name before and thought it was pretty cool, so the first forum I joined, I was trying to come up with a name, and "Kane" popped into my head, also since I'm a fan of the Miami Hurricanes, it seemed like a nice fit.

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2015
    "Goats" is an old high school nickname (that followed me to college since a couple of my HS friends went to the same school and continued using it) so it seemed like a no-brainer when I created my first user name back in the AOL days.

Was given the name by a few drunk friends who happened to be outside at my house one day (parents were out obviously) where I grew up with a few horses and a small herd of pygmy goats. Hardly anyone called me by my given name once the nickname started.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Buythehook

When I first started to gamble I knew guy out of Vegas who I became friends with in south Florida and he would always reference the half a point as the
    " hook". Back then we would call all are plays in to our local and he we would scream. " the line is 3.5????? Buy the hook down to 3"

I use to laugh ass my off and I just decided to use that as my screen name .
  • BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Every time I saw one friend of mine-- who bet nothing but favorites-- I'd yell at him "Bet them dogs". While grammatically incorrect, it was meant to convey my point. Sadly, today this fav bettor lives under an overpass, and wanders the streets of Vegas trying to get a handout, and living off of coupon books. The last time I saw him he tried to borrow some cash "to bet a dog that's a lock".
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Now this thread is worth coming back to! LOL

Ok. So First off I'm 6'3 and about 250 pounds or so, and white. My real name is Arnie and my friends always called me "Big Arn". Then the movie FRIDAY came out and a character named BIG WORM is accidentally called BIG PERM.

Next time someone called me big Arn, HOMERPLAYER was standing next to him and said BIG PERM!! The rest is history.

I included "white" because most assume the opposite when they hear my nickname lol
  • Brooklyn32Brooklyn32 Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Born in Brooklyn, lived there during the best times, the Dodgers in the fifties and number 32 of course Sandy Koufax- greatest Dodger of all time.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Since some jerk was already using my actual name, I had to use an old nickname from years ago, "The Groovin' Mahoovin." I never did figure out what a Mahoovin is.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Old Timer because that's just what I am with lots of old stories from the Bklyn streets in the 50's 60's and 70's to 1979 then to Las Vegas and more Old Time Vegas stories . I really wanted Old School but I knew someone that we all know had that name so Old Timer was the next best thing. Each Forum I belong to I use a different name. New York Sports is one and there are others.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Been a Buckeyes fan ever since i was 9 years old. One of my best memories and a game I was very lucky to have attended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYHbjnhxX4
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    buckeyes wrote: »
    Been a Buckeyes fan ever since i was 9 years old. One of my best memories and a game I was very lucky to have attended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYHbjnhxX4

Sorry Buckeyes, but that was one of the biggest fuck jobs by a referee ever, that pass interference call at the end on the kid from Miami was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, given what was at stake. The guy's name is Terry Porter and I can only hope he dies a slow, painful, agonizing death for cheating the Canes like that, easily one of my worst sports memories. Sorry for posting this, but when I clicked on the link and saw the game you were referring to, I couldn't help myself, nothing personal.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    kane wrote: »
    The guy's name is Terry Porter and I can only hope he dies a slow, painful, agonizing death for cheating the Canes like that, easily one of my worst sports memories.

Coming from a guy/kid that stresses human rights, equality, and adheres to the PC world, you are a sick shut-in.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Sorry Buckeyes, but that was one of the biggest fuck jobs by a referee ever, that pass interference call at the end on the kid from Miami was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, given what was at stake. The guy's name is Terry Porter and I can only hope he dies a slow, painful, agonizing death for cheating the Canes like that, easily one of my worst sports memories. Sorry for posting this, but when I clicked on the link and saw the game you were referring to, I couldn't help myself, nothing personal.

I still can't believe that was called... What a joke of a play. Still pissed off seeing that!!
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    buythehook wrote: »
    I still can't believe that was called... What a joke of a play. Still pissed off seeing that!!

I agree it was ticky tack, but Fouts inflamed the U partisans with his mini-tirade. Wtf do you expect from an offensive gunslinger?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Coming from a guy/kid that stresses human rights, equality, and adheres to the PC world, you are a sick shut-in.

Ron, the "U" trumps all, that motherfucker stole a national championship from Miami. They won the game, and Terry Porter, that fuck, decided to rip it away from them, he should die a slow agonizing death, I can't ever erase that play from my mind, the DB makes a good read on the ball and makes a great play, and that POS motherfucker decided Miami doesn't win, fuck him and his family
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Not to mention they illegally used an ineligible player, Maurice Clarrett shouldn't have even been allowed to play
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Not to mention they illegally used an ineligible player, Maurice Clarrett shouldn't have even been allowed to play

At the same time half the Miami team was probably ineligible for hanging out with Nevin LOL. But yes looking at it objectively I can say that that flag should not have been thrown. But there were bad calls for both sides the whole game. Still went to OT and we won it fair and square.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    My nickname is because of my staunch admiration for the Minnesota Gophers' sports programs
    NOT!!!
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    My nickname is because of my staunch admiration for the Minnesota Gophers' sports programs
    NOT!!!

Bucky-- your avatar is about the ugliest looking gopher I've ever seen.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Loved baseball and the Oakland A's -Vida Blue, then the song came out uhh uhh jackie blue , blue eyes, first name John (Jack) hence jackie blue. the jake came from one night either paying or collecting money most likely paying my Greek bookmaker on his porch was a little tabby kitten he told me it followed his daughter home so I rescued him and that weekend hit a jake on a college football game hence his name jake and my good luck cat so came up with bluejake. But since finding Betting Talk and the many years of help from some great minds on the board and learning so much this old head is so thankful of this site more collecting than paying ,and some great friendships and stories. Coops (Verlander) fantastic baseball run a few years ago, the good Dr.H great run in baseball on the free forum last year before going professional, RAS, StevieY, Buffet Gambler and the great stories from OT makes this a go to everyday stop for this old head. Thank You for this great site.
  • nvralocknvralock Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    There used to be a sports pick promotion show on late night tv and those clowns would always have their "Lock" of the week or Lock of the century etc ......and we all know there is no such thing as a lock, esp in sports gambling ....hence Nvralock
  • tinknockertinknocker Member
    edited June 2015
    My name is my profession
    SheetMeral Worker
    In Boston, we are called Tinkmockers
    Boring but what you gonna do
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Back in the day, was playing poker as a buddy walked in. I was rolling a joint and at the time kept my pot in a leather pouch. My buddy says hi and hyphenates my first name with -bumpo as in Natty Bumpo.
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited June 2015

Thanx for clearing that up. LOL.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    ex gf
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    JMU = James Madison University (I am an Alum and big time fan)
    Degenerate seems pretty self explanatory to this group.

Username was actually created for use on college athletics message boards first then carried over to here.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    ex gf

her taco was bearded?
  • BennyProfaneBennyProfane Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    bumpo wrote: »
    Thanx for clearing that up. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V..

LOl at typos.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Initials are JW, which I was called/nicknamed, then shortened to J Dub, then to Dubb or Dubbs.
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    RC my initials and money when I was in the service back in the early 80's my buddies use to call me money because I drove the ball straight down the middle - Money just stuck with me ...
    RCMoney Good Luck
  • bobbyputnambobbyputnam Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Putnam is the actual last name of a former employer, I think that I just threw the name Bobby in front of it to come up with bobbyputnam