Betting Talk

First Bitcoin Transaction

Comments

• duritodurito Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    Alex was great, he's long gone now though.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    I had an account rep at heritage that retired like last year, he was really good every time I had an issue he would have it fixed.
    Now since he left they transferred me to some chump who should be working at a register in a supermarket and that might be an overstatement :laughing:
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    underwraps wrote: »
    Jm... was Dave able to help u out?

None. Sent a few tweets to him
    edited July 2015
    jm wrote: »
    None. Sent a few tweets to him

send him a tweet to follow u, and u follow him, then u guys can discuss in private chat on twitter
    edited July 2015
    So I just sent $2,044 to BetOnline via bitcoin and they only credited my account $1,870.

JM, i just went to the deposit page and nothing there which states that there's a fee for deposits using BC. However, when I went to the withdrawl page under bitcoin it says 2% fee.
    edited July 2015
    They rape you on the exchange too, I'd avoid using them there.
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, Checks only for me from now on.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Just read through this thread. This is something I'm very interested in. What would it take to get set up to process a bitcoin withdrawal? Multiple wallet accounts and a tumbler?

I would definitely be interested in reading a newbie experience with withdrawals similar to jm's opening post in this thread.

Any suggestions on reading to get familiar before getting started? Thanks.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I just have 2 wallet accounts with blockchain.info and circle. Just link a bank account and the money/bit coin should be there in 5 business days.

I don't worry about the tumbler, but maybe I'm being naive.
    edited August 2015
    I just have 2 wallet accounts with blockchain.info and circle. Just link a bank account and the money/bit coin should be there in 5 business days.

I don't worry about the tumbler, but maybe I'm being naive.

Thanks. Bitcoin transactions just seem to make a lot of sense. I appreciate the insight.
    edited August 2015
    The Bitcoin Schism Shows the Genius of Open Source
    http://www.wired.com/2015/08/bitcoin-schism-shows-genius-open-source/

Looks like bitcoin value took quite a drop yesterday:
    https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD

nsq4cFM.png
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    this is the biggest issue i have with bitcoin is the float. Say you made a "deposit" on 8/18. Your bitcoin wallet will "freeze" your deposit based on the price of the coin on 8/18. When it actually pulls from your bank account and lands in your bitcoin wallet on 8/25, then you'll have the bitcoins at the current market rate and can deposit to the sports book. I have no idea why you can't load your bitcoin wallet, then when the funds hit is when you buy the bitcoin.
    edited August 2015
    this is the biggest issue i have with bitcoin is the float. Say you made a "deposit" on 8/18. Your bitcoin wallet will "freeze" your deposit based on the price of the coin on 8/18. When it actually pulls from your bank account and lands in your bitcoin wallet on 8/25, then you'll have the bitcoins at the current market rate and can deposit to the sports book. I have no idea why you can't load your bitcoin wallet, then when the funds hit is when you buy the bitcoin.

Yeah. Your version makes way more sense. The freeze sucks, especially since it sounds like it takes about a week.
    edited August 2015
    So I just sent $2,044 to BetOnline via bitcoin and they only credited my account $1,870. They said due to high bitcoin transaction fees that they feel the customer should burden some of the cost. Has anyone ever heard of that?

Looks like they're still doing this:
    BetOnLine fee-gouging on Bitcoin deposits....
    http://www.peepsplace.com/showthread.php?t=484467

Apparently they charge 6.5%.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    So here was a nice surprise. A few months back I deposited some bitcoins at $270 per coin at Nitrogen sports (they store your balance in bitcoin).

Just got an email from some bitcoin wallet saying bitcoins are up to $450. Cashed that right out of Nitrogen sports.

Feels good to run good like this.
    edited November 2015
    it was even higher I think intraday.. around 472 Nice hit JM. Hopefully Nitrogen is hedged
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    I made my first bitcoin transactions a few weeks ago. With how easy it is, I can't believe that it took me this long to do it. There is some very good information in this thread.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    is there any chance of bitcoin being confiscated by govt? I know hackers also try to steal
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    is there any chance of bitcoin being confiscated by govt? I know hackers also try to steal

Nope,
    hackers are of greater concern right now.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Just did my first today, man that was easy. Any know if using a CC for instant purchase actually incurs a cash advance fee(on coinbase)?
    edited December 2015
    Yes, when using a CC it charges like a cash advance to your card
    edited December 2015
    So my only other option is to do a bank transfer and ride the market for the few days it takes to actually receive the BC? It worked out in my favor this time.

Edit. Nevermind, I'm obviously a noob, I see the USD wallet option now.
    edited December 2015
    after 30 days of having your account in good standing, you won't have to wait a big chunk of it becomes instant.
    edited December 2015
    Good stuff looking forward to it. Thanks wraps.
  • capthookcapthook Banned
    edited December 2015
    I've mentioned it before, but for anyone new to this stuff.

Coinbase is the best exchange. It is US-based, and has lots of backing and is old and trustworthy. All good things.

However, there have been reports of coinbase closing customer accounts (and releasing them their funds of course) for being associated with gambling.

Therefore, you MUST get an intermediary wallet. I recommend Electrum because its old and has been around forever and works well. Buy any will do. The key is, you must send to a SEPARATE wallet, before you cashout through coinbase.com

If you send directly from, for example, nitrogen sports to your coinbase account, you may be flagged (because coinbase knows nitrogen's bitcoin addresses) and be unable to use coinbase from that point in the future. You will get your money, but having a valid coinbase account is very valuable and its stupid to just lose that ability when you could have avoided it by just using a separate wallet in between.

So to summarize.

To deposit: USD goes into coinbase
    Coinbase sends coins to wallet
    Wallet sends coins to gambling sites.

To withdraw: Gambling sites send coins to wallet.
    You send coins from wallet to your coinbase account
    You withdraw from coinbase to your USD bank account (Or whatever country)

Be safe!
    edited December 2015
    Coinbase made me full out some strange questionnaire today about what i use bitcoin for. Said I day traded them.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I use blockchain.info then transfer over to circle. No issues yet.
  • thecaptain12thecaptain12 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    ELI5 what the hell is a bitcoin? Guess Im out of the loop
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    ELI5 what the hell is a bitcoin? Guess Im out of the loop

Wiki can explain it better than me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin