Comments

• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    kane wrote: »
    The Tigers placed Joe Nathan on the 15 day DL with a strained right elbow

Joakim Soria will serve as acting closer
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Best news I've heard so far all year. There's a party going on in Michigan as we speak.
    Elbow at his age he's done..
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    SFO worried about Matt Cain and elbow. MRI wasn't good.
    edited April 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    SFO worried about Matt Cain and elbow. MRI wasn't good.

Got a friend down Monday morning Under 83.5 -110 on San Fran should have grabbed a piece of that myself. They have some real problems. When you have to use vogelsong in your 2nd game of the year it says it all. 37 years old I think and I don't think you'll see much of him this year and who knows about the freak and your other option is to kill Bum with innings because your bullpen isn't that impressive. Trouble in Giant land.
    edited April 2015
    The kid Heston pitching tonight is considered their top minor league pitching prospect now. Let's see how he does. This was suppose to be Cain's turn today. I think Belt got hurt Mon.
    edited April 2015
    He pulled up lame chasing a pop over his head. Didn't appear to be serious but with injuries like that they need rest how much who knows.
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    StevieY wrote: »
    I'll be posting here on a semi-regular basis probably won't start until mid-late April, have a baseball trip Jun 30th thru the all-star break, after the break ?.

If you are intending to post some plays is it possible for you to go ahead and start the thread (even if no plays yet) so that we can go ahead and subscribe to the thread and ensure no missed plays. Of course that's if it is not too much to ask.

Appreciate it SY,
    JMU_Degen
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2015
    If you are intending to post some plays is it possible for you to go ahead and start the thread (even if no plays yet) so that we can go ahead and subscribe to the thread and ensure no missed plays. Of course that's if it is not too much to ask.

Appreciate it SY,
    JMU_Degen

Will do. My plan is to start Mon, Apr 20th or Wed Apr 22nd.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I came across an interesting stat. Here is a list year by year of games that had a double digit total.

2005- 394 games
    2006- 574
    2007- 519
    2008- 348
    2009- 355
    2010- 138
    2011- 97
    2012- 173
    2013- 66
    2014- 63

Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out why such a drop, but I wonder if at some point MLB needs to do something to increase the offense. Personally, I would rather watch a 3-2 well pitched game than a 10-9 slugfest, but MLB has a problem with younger fans who want to see more runs scored. The average age of a baseball fan is much older than a fan of football or basketball. I remember when McGwire and Sosa were swatting homers left and right, I had some friends who weren't baseball fans, but were following the sport because of the excitement. I think the game is fine as is, but I've also been a fan my whole life. I think at some point MLB needs to figure out a way to revive interest in younger people, I saw where games have been on average eight minutes shorter this year with the new pace of play rules, which helps a little I guess. I'm wondering if any of the baseball guys here think the league should try and do something to attract a younger audience, and what changes you think might help.
    edited April 2015
    I think at some point MLB needs to figure out a way to revive interest in younger people, I saw where games have been on average eight minutes shorter this year with the new pace of play rules, which helps a little I guess. I'm wondering if any of the baseball guys here think the league should try and do something to attract a younger audience, and what changes you think might help.

Kinda like horse racing. Needs young blood. Since I'm not akin to the younger generation, I'll pass on any recommendations.
    edited April 2015
    Quick headsup note on current AZ Dbacks:

Tuffy Gosewisch, career minor league catcher has developed into one of the better backstops in the NL.

Rookie manager Chip Hale is NO upgrade from previously canned KGibson. "Old Book" theories ain't gonna do it. Gross errors mounting. Example last night.....leadoff extra inning single and attempt to bunt with Goldy on deck. Failed, and with one out has the team's fastest runner steal second. Took the bat outta Goldy's hand.
    edited April 2015
    FYI, Tonights AZ starter Collmenter warmed up last night.
  • DeadMoneyDeadMoney Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm wondering if any of the baseball guys here think the league should try and do something to attract a younger audience, and what changes you think might help.

I'm taking a Sports Economics class right now and my professor went to a sports business conference recently where getting young fans was the main topic for all sports.

MLB has the best mobile app IMO and they are trying to get more technology into the game. They have this new thing in every stadium that tracks everything on the field (player speed, MPH off the bat etc.). I don't know who cares about that but their studies say young people like more stats, also that Sports Science show on ESPN is popular so maybe it will work.

They also talked about how people who play when they are young are more likely to become lifelong fans. With more and more parents preventing their kids from playing contact sports, they might naturally get more youth participation in baseball. Time will tell.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    anyone else just see on the MLB network broadcast of Mets Yanks that Pineda has a streak of over 134 innings without inducing a DP? That is absurd.
    edited April 2015
    Suspensions for Royals Sox from "brawl"

Royals P Yordano Ventura: 7 games
    Royals P Edinson Volquez: 5 games
    Royals OF Lorenzo Cain: 2 games
    Royals P Kelvin Herrera: 2 games
    White Sox P Chris Sale: 5 games
    White Sox P Jeff Samardzija: 5 games
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    The Royals seem pretty ornery to start the season, first with Oakland, now the White Sox
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Adam Wainwright is out for the season with a torn Achilles, needless to say a huge blow for the Cards
    edited April 2015
    Adam Wainwright is out for the season with a torn Achilles, needless to say a huge blow for the Cards

Big break for the Buccos. not that I like see that happen put shit happens. Also I love when Pitchers get 5 Day Suspensions. Appeal, Pitch withdraw appeal and pitch and never miss a beat.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Big break for the Buccos. not that I like see that happen put shit happens. Also I love when Pitchers get 5 Day Suspensions. Appeal, Pitch withdraw appeal and pitch and never miss a beat.

A 5 game suspension for a starter is his turn being pushed back one day. Unless it's the playoffs it doesn't even matter.
    edited April 2015
    Volquez has been suspended five games for his role in an on field incident. He is appealing the suspension and will be available until a ruling is made.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Can one of the sharper mlb cappers provide any logic behind the Yankees steam friday, Saturday and Sunday? It seems yankees closed 30+ cents worse on every game during the subway series.
    edited April 2015
    Tanaka to DL for the Yanks
    edited April 2015
    Tanaka to DL for the Yanks

Shame, Last year was the time to have the surgery. But you can't force a man to have surgery if he doesn't want to. I hope it doesn't come to that but it sure looks that way.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    interesting article on new all encompassing pitching metric........

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=26195
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Reds pitcher Homer Bailey needs TJ surgery and will miss the season, that contract keeps looking better and better